THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What photos would you like to see?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What photos would you like to see?
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
I'm in Germany now at the HEYM factory.

Are there any photos of the rifle-making process you would like for me to take while I'm here?

Just post your requests, and I'll try to get the photos for you.

Here is a 470 on the new larger frame that has all of the metal fitted (in-the-white) and the stock shaped. The wood is quite nice (with all the figure in the right places.)

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Chris.I do not know if this is possible but I would like to see video of Heym doubles being regulated.This is the most important thing,IMO because if the barrels cannot shoot at the same spot over and over again for a long time the rest is meaningless.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Shootaway,
I am sure Chris will oblige but Heym quality is second to none,I got two,both shoot perfect !!!

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
pictures of joining the barrels & rib.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,

Don't forget brass and a barrel.

TT

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Len Taylor's 500 undergoing in production. He's had some close calls (on film) over the past few years, and he wanted to feel as "doubly" armed as possilbe. We are happy to accomodate him and grateful that he and so many other professional hunters call on HEYM for thier doubels.

Nice wood on Len's rifle too!
We try to take good care of our PHs.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Photos of how the barrels are held in place at muzzle and breech ends (to assure proper barrel convergence) while the barrels are being brazed to the shoe lump.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice wood on Lynn's rilfe too!

Oh, yes.
It has an nice structure...

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Stockmaking and inletting.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I see that one of those photos has a pan cake type cheek piece. Would be good to see the whole cheek piece and any picture of an English styled short for-end.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Photos of a price list that won't give me a heart attack.

Posts: 17286 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please post some photos of the Martini Heym magazine rifles if possible- many thanks!

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
A video is a bit tough to capture all of the regulation process, but here is a photo of the muzzles being adjusted.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Katarina Witt was pretty hot back in the day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HBH:
Katarina Witt was pretty hot back in the day.
a little heavy but ok

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dahav:
Please post some photos of the Martini Heym magazine rifles if possible- many thanks!

Yep. A second vote for the Martini rifle (even if this is a DR forum).

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Chris!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
Every picture you can get other then the employees rest room.

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't understand why this post has degraded to trash and garbage, when its purpose was to inform us of an excellent opportunity to see photos of excellent guns in the making. Surely you trash posters can lighten up, and conduct yourselves as the gentlemen you are.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Transvaal:
I can't understand why this post has degraded to trash and garbage, when its purpose was to inform us of an excellent opportunity to see photos of excellent guns in the making. Surely you trash posters can lighten up, and conduct yourselves as the gentlemen you are.
+1

One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
Here's one in .404 Jeffery that I ought to have pretty soon:

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
I'm in Germany now at the HEYM factory.

Are there any photos of the rifle-making process you would like for me to take while I'm here?

Just post your requests, and I'll try to get the photos for you.

Here is a 470 on the new larger frame that has all of the metal fitted (in-the-white) and the stock shaped. The wood is quite nice (with all the figure in the right places.)

I'd like to see a pic of a rifle during regulation, I always picture a feller shooting a finished rifle, although it's obviously not. Is the woodwork complete? Is the engraving done? Any bluing at all?
Thanks!
LX

Posts: 55 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 28 October 2012Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LegioX:
I'd like to see a pic of a rifle during regulation, I always picture a feller shooting a finished rifle, although it's obviously not. Is the woodwork complete? Is the engraving done? Any bluing at all?
Thanks!
LX

LX - good questions. Here is the progression.

1) Rifle metal is all fitted (to a functioning state) in the white.
2) Functioning barreled action (in the white) is sent to the proof-house with a "dummy" stock for proof-firing.
3) "In-the-white" regulation is done with a "dummy" stock.
4) Actual stock for the rifle is made/fitted to the metal in the white, finished & checkered after regulation.
5) All exterior metal polishing and any engraving is done to the metal.
6) Metal is blued, cc'd, nitrated, etc...
7) Completely finished stock is installed on completely finished metal.

At this point, the rilfe is complete... but, we go back to the range and check the regulation again (to ensure nothign has changed from polishing the barrls, different stock, etc...)

8) Any final adjustments (if needed) are made to the barrels, they are re-blued and the rifle is ready to ship. This we call regulation "in-the-black."

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, very interesting! I like the fact that they re-check regulation after finishing the rifle. Are you aware of any customers that request their rifle be regulated with a pet reload, such as CEB Raptors, Barnes TSX, etc? Or do they only regulate with factory ammo?

Posts: 55 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 28 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
A video is a bit tough to capture all of the regulation process, but here is a photo of the muzzles being adjusted.

I guess the dremel is out of frame. Big Grin sofa

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Here is a low-res photo of the new Martini/Express.Catalogs are in production now and will be ready before DSC.

We will also have about 15 of these rifles in stock at DSC.

PS - Chip, your rifle is here in Dallas, and I will have it through customs early next week.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Magnificent!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
I'm almost certain that since I'm about to ask, I can't afford it.

But I love the looks of that rifle, what is the ball park pricing for a Heym bolt gun?

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That bolt gun is lovely. Really like the lines on it.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Lovely pictures of the Martini/Heym bolts!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
That bolt gun is lovely. Really like the lines on it.

Me TOO !!!

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the first Heym bolt rifles from Chris (.416 Rigby); it is phenomenal. I'm thinking about another one in maybe .375 H&H. Probably the best big bore I own - in SXS or bolt.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
If you get a 375 you'll need to sell the 416 and
get a 585 HE, or at least a 500 Batelueur!

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This Martini/Express Rifles are beautiful !

.404 or .416 Calibers would be the right ones Big Grin

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
The wood on the Express rifles we will have at the DSC and SCI show this year is very good, as is the wood on the double rifles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
While touring the Heym facility during the Heym Challenge last year I found it fascinating to watch how the rifles progress throughout the various stages. I also thought the hammer forging of the barrels was really cool. It would be interesting to post a start to finish video with short snippets of the entire process.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote