Find
Notify
Tools

Burn the Heretic?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Thumbing through my copy of Graeme Wright's new edition tonight. In it he talks about the Lead Sled:

"When I first starting using the rest I assumed that it would affect the regulation of a double rifle. To my pleasant surprice this had not turned out to the be case. . . In the majority of cases the rifles regulated the same with or without the rest."

Interesting contrast with all the prior comments about the pitfalls and dangers of using a lead sled with a double.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a regular rifle rest and bag for all three of my doubles and not found any difference in regulation. No hand under the forend or any of that stuff. I have also found no noticeable difference in my K gun's regulation (500/416) with or without scope. Just my personal observation and I have no desire to convince anyone else of the veracity of my observations.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just my personal observation and I have no desire to convince anyone else of the veracity of my observations.

I have also found that the "regulation" of the Krieghoff is very forgiving. If you look at one compared to other DR's you can see why (at least my speculation).

In other words, my 470 just shoots to the same POA regardless of what I put in it.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lead Sleds are great, IMHO. Just don't load them up with tons of weight. 50 lbs seems to take any load I use, and allows the gun/sled to move with the recoil.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:

I have used a regular rifle rest and bag for all three of my doubles and not found any difference in regulation. No hand under the forend or any of that stuff. I have also found no noticeable difference in my K gun's regulation (500/416) with or without scope. Just my personal observation and I have no desire to convince anyone else of the veracity of my observations.
Peter.

Yea, but Peter you have a .500/.416, the greatest double rifle caliber of all time!. It's just not fair to compare it to all these other lesser calibers. Wink

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aw Shucks, he said modestly!!!!! Actually my MK Owen in 450x 3 1/4 also seems to behave the same way off the rest as it does off hand. I have not tried it without the scope or from sticks, however, so this may not be a valid observation. In any case, if I make it to Africa this year, it will be with the K gun!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used my lead sled to work up loads for both my Chapuis .470 and .375 H&H bolt rifle using 50lbs of shot. I also didn't notice any difference in shot placement between off hand and the sled. I find the sled to be a great shoulder saver. I do have the first version and have twice broken off the rear screw leg.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
A few months ago, a few of us had a DR shoot in So Cal. Just as an experiment, I put my Heym 470 on the lead sled. My rifle doubled!

Thinking operator error may have been the cause, I loaded the right barrel hot, and put a cap in the other. Doubled again.

New Guy couldn't really explain how or why.

Hopefully, it is just one of those things, a freak combo. But I don't think I will be sledding in the future.

Here's to hoping it doesn't double on Jumbo! beer

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Stand on your hind feet (standing supported if you wish) and shoot it like a man.

We don't squat to pee do we??? Wink

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me I saw a posting awhile back about someone cracking a stock using a Lead Sled with a big bore double. Sure would make life easier for load development.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
Seems to me I saw a posting awhile back about someone cracking a stock using a Lead Sled with a big bore double. Sure would make life easier for load development.

More than one stock has been cracked using the lead sled.

If you set up a good shooting bench / rest where you can lean into it (like they use to regulate DR's with), no need to use a lead sled.

It doesn't need to be flash, even plastic milk crates with Sand bags in them are good enough and give plenty of height / enough height to shoot standing supported.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote