THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    scope for 500 NE Verney Caron
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope for 500 NE Verney Caron
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted
Several years ago I had my first double built. Love it. Upon advice from Ken at Kebco, I had it built with a scope mount. As my eyes get worse every year and the target and front sight can't both be in focus at the same time, I have come to realize that I may need a scope. would like some advice. Considering the Trijicon RMR. what size dots? rings needed etc. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Burris fastfire III on my 500 and Doc Optik on my 450-400. Like both. Stay with small dot - 4 or less. Larger starts obscuring targets at distance. 75 yards will probably be max on the 500 and you want to be able to shoot/eye those 6" targets for accuracy.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may want to give Ken a call as well. He's probably been involved in scoping or sighting VC doubles than anyone else.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have a Burris FastFire III on my 500NE and Beau has an RMR on his. As stated above, smallest dot available is what you want. Both have Weaver mounts available to fit Weaver/Picatiny bases and you can buy the red-dot with the mount - no rings required - in the same package, which is how I suggest you make your purchase, as many times the separate mounts can be difficult to locate in the marketplace.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how your double is set up to accept the red dot sight. But I've been favorably impressed by the Trijicon RMR06 model (3.5 moa dot). It would be pretty simple if your double is already set up for a talley, picatinny, or other "standard" base. If it is, you'd just need that type of base (potentially, QD version) machined to fit the RMR mounting holes.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
My V-C .500 has a Docter Optic mounted by JJ just like this one...

http://forums.accuratereloadin...471027012#3471027012

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
thanks to all, spoke with ken and he recommends the Docter Optik or the Meopta with a mounting bracket. I had a base for a bracket put in when built. Thanks for advice on the smallest dot. Same thing Ken said.

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shoulderman:
Several years ago I had my first double built. Love it. Upon advice from Ken at Kebco, I had it built with a scope mount. As my eyes get worse every year and the target and front sight can't both be in focus at the same time, I have come to realize that I may need a scope. would like some advice. Considering the Trijicon RMR. what size dots? rings needed etc. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Having the rifle set up for a glass sight was a very smart move on your part! Having said that with a 500NE my recommendation would be as most here have suggested. My choice would be the DOCTER OPTIC.

Contrary to popular belief the human eye can only focus on one distance at a time. When we are young the eye can focus and refocus so fast that we think we are focusing on the rear sight, front sight and the target all at the same time, but in fact we are not.

As we get older the focus and refocus is too slow so that we must line up the front and rear sight and let the target become blurred then concentrate on the front bead holding where we know the vital spot is on our target. With a scope the cross hair and the target are placed on the same plain and if the scope in a true one power one can shoot with both eyes open and the binocular effect allows us old farts to shoot like we did when we were young. The sights like the DOCTER are the best choice for a heavy recoiling rifle like the 500NE.

I have 78 year old eyes and that is not bad enough, but I have macular degeneration in my right eye as well and I am right handed so that is my dominate eye. In my case I have to use a one power scope that is illuminated on all my double rifles smaller than 400 and will use the DOCTER OPTIC on all above 400 caliber.

Good luck with what ever you choose but I believe the DOCTER OPTIC is the best choice for your 500NE double!

.................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would reccomend Aimpoint Micro H-1. It has a 2moa dot, is waterproof to 60 ft, is more rugged than the others and has 3+ years battery life (if i remember correctly). I had one on my 470 K-Gun and it was a very nice setup.

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
my .470 has the Dr Optik via Ken's system, and I just shot a gemsbok at 116 yards and a zebra at 164. The thing works great, and when I had close shots, I popped it off in 3 seconds and put it in my pocket.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote