New
Find
Notify
Tools

DR technique question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't own a DR and probably never will (unless it's a Remington SPR22). My double gun experience is limited to my Browning Citori with a single trigger.

So when you are following up a wounded lion/buffalo/rhino/elephant/angry-deadly-wounded DG animal, and you are walking into thick stuff, do you:

...have a finger on each trigger? or

...do you still only use a single trigger finger and practice to switch from one to the other in hurry?

... and which trigger is typically fired first?

Sorry for the simple questions, but I've been wondering so when I win the lottery next week I'll be ready for my new gun and first ever DG safari. Big Grin

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Personally, I do not have my finger on the trigger until the rifle is being brought to shoulder - then the trigger finger goes in as the rifle goes up.

I pull the back one first but would not hesitate to pull both if the buff was nearly on me.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My technique is no different than the one I use when hunting with a double trigger shotgun for, say, quail or pheasants.

I pull the front trigger fist most of the time when using a SxS shotgun, which proved a choice of choke with the more open choked barrel fired by the fron trigger, and so I pull the front trigger first on my double rifle. It is a very natural act to move your trigger fingure to the rear trigger nad become second nature. BTW, I have no problems switching from single trigger shotguns or rifles to double triggers either.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
First I would say the PH has his safety off..

My trigger finger is extended straight along the trigger guard and thumb on the safety and two rounds between my fingers on the forend..
I fire the forward trigger and slide back to the second...

Other important facts.. 1. My extra ammo is in front of me on an ammo belt and not covered or in my
back pocket...
2. I do not wear my shirttails out and have my ammo covered...

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No fingers on the triggers. Front/right first, then back/left. Same as a double shotgun. Couldn't break the habit if I wanted to.

Posts: 10132 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I never use more than 1 finger and it doesn't go into the triggers until the rifle is on the shoulder and I am on target and ready to shoot.

The 3 Cardinal rules of gun safety-

• Keep your finger of the trigger!
  • Keep your damn finger off the trigger!
  • Keep you damn finger off the damn trigger!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The order you pull the triggers in a close in follow-up, makes no difference to the rifles opperation. However, just like a double barreled shot gun the trigger you pull first depends which choke, on a shotgun, and the bullet type on the double rifle, you want first. On a shotgun, the right barrel is usually the open choke, and the left barrel the tighter choke, so the difference is if you are walking up birds (open choke first), or shooting incoming birds to water( Tight choke first). The difference with a double rifle up close, will be how you have your double loaded, and what you are following. I carry my double with a soft in the right barrel, and a solid in the left, for Buffalo, on the cats soft in both barrels, and elephant solids in both barrels. So with the cats, or ele fire which ever you feel like, on Buffalo, I fire the soft first, followed by all solids. For long shots I always fire the right barrel first!with long shots you usually have time to change bullets, before fireing.

Hope that is at least as clear as Mississippi Mud! bewildered

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote