THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Idea for reloading a double quickly
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idea for reloading a double quickly
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been pondering ways to reload my 500 NE quickly in the event speed is of the essence. I have come up with an idea.

At the local Gander Mountain, I bought a 12 GA ammo holder that slips on the stock.It holds 5 shells. It costs $4.99. I cut the stitching. To each side, I had a local seamstress sew Velcro along each edge. I can fasten this on my forearm. I leave the middle space empty. This leaves me with 2 cartridges on each end. It holds very well and firmly.

My idea is to put 4 cartridges in the holder and put it in my pocket until we see the elephants or go into the thick stuff.

I went to the range this afternoon and gave it a try. It works incredibly well. On only my second attempt doing this, I was timed at 4.2 seconds from the time a fired the second barrel to eject the cartridges, load 2 more and fire the first shot with the new cartridges. That seems pretty fast to me.

I will post a picture tomorrow.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike.

They are out of those currently. The one I made is far more stable on the forearm.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I also had one made out of elephant leather. It fastens with a buckle. Looks like an oversized watch band with two leather loops. I would post a picture but it is packed. Looks and works very well.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the fellow that made my leather wrist cartridge holder.

http://www.7xleather.com/wrist_cartridge_holders

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Here is a link to the fellow that made my leather wrist cartridge holder.

http://www.7xleather.com/wrist_cartridge_holders

I wish I had known about this guy two days ago. Cartridge slides from $32. I just purchased a slide from Mark Sulivan for $145 to fit the 577NE. Way too expensive and it only holds 6. Would have preferred 8 or even to purchase 2 but just couldn't see spending $300 for two slides. Problem is, there isn't much in the way of options for a 577.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

It sounds like you must be heading out soon??

I may buy one of these and give it a try. The positive that I can see with the one I devised is that I can grab 2 cartridges at one time.

Thanks for the info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, sounds like you've invented a better mousetrap!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Let's see ...

900g bullet
+
600g case
+
160g powder

X
4 rounds

That's nearly a pound on my wrist.

I can see it now - the four stripes on my forehead and depressed skull fracture caused by the impact of the cases as the momentum of recoil drives my wrist up and away...

homer

It would be a very lucrative YouTube video though ... animal

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, that's because you're supposed to shoot ONE BARREL AT A TIME !!!! Smiler

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

animal

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:

But aren't there TWO triggers? bewildered

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It works quite well.

The fantastic thing is that I can pull out 2 rounds at once and place them in the gun.

I intend to carry this in my pocket until we get to thick stuff or are close to the elephants.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Doc has been known to fire both barrels of his 600NE at an elephant at the same time. That's why we're giving him a ration here! All in good fun of course!! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Actually Larry I like the idea a lot and would like a leather version like that Mike described above. I may do that with some elephant hide when it arrives ...

Can't believe Will hasn't offered that for sale yet.

As Todd said, I don't mind the well deserved ribbing from good folk. All in good fun.

Stay well

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I will dig the one I had made out of elephant hide and post a picture of it. I sent him two dummy rounds to use to size the loops so that they would be snug but not too tight.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Pictures:

Mike

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
NICE!!!

Ok that's on my wish list when my elephant hide arrives.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
That looks good Mike. Looks like you have it on the left wrist. Wouldn't it be better on the right wrist for a right handed shooter. That way, you maintain your grip on the pistol grip and reload with the left hand?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
That looks good Mike. Looks like you have it on the left wrist. Wouldn't it be better on the right wrist for a right handed shooter. That way, you maintain your grip on the pistol grip and reload with the left hand?

Todd, I've seen Mike re-load, and he is fast, and accurate,so this works for him! Like you I load with the left hand from the back of my trigger hand, and I can get off four shots that way in a little less than four seconds with an 8.5 pound 9.3X74R ejector double, and a little over five seconds with a 11.3 pound 470NE extractor double all on an 8 inch bulls-eye at 25 yds with most shots inside a 4 inch group.

I find the slowest way of re-loading is from an ammo belt or a butt stock carrier! However what works for the individual is the way they should re-load.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………… tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
This has been made for attaching round arm, just under the shoulder:

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

He is a picture of what I made. It cost next to nothing. It is easy to grad 2 rounds at once to reload. It is very fast.

I have no intention of walking around with this thing on my arm. I am going to keep it in my pocket until we get close or into thick stuff.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Larry and Mike, I like both.

Igorrock having an ammo belt with a lid is in my opinion extremely dangerous. You will never have enough time to open and reload.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

Todd, I've seen Mike re-load, and he is fast, and accurate,so this works for him! Like you I load with the left hand from the back of my trigger hand, and I can get off four shots that way in a little less than four seconds with an 8.5 pound 9.3X74R ejector double, and a little over five seconds with a 11.3 pound 470NE extractor double all on an 8 inch bulls-eye at 25 yds with most shots inside a 4 inch group.

I find the slowest way of re-loading is from an ammo belt or a butt stock carrier! However what works for the individual is the way they should re-load.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………… tu2

Sure Mac. What ever works for a fellow is what he should use. I just wasn't aware Mike loaded with the right hand instead of the left. Wasn't trying to stir the pot or anything. I was asking from curiosity. Looks like Larry is loading from the right hand as well.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure Mac. What ever works for a fellow is what he should use. I just wasn't aware Mike loaded with the right hand instead of the left. Wasn't trying to stir the pot or anything. I was asking from curiosity. Looks like Larry is loading from the right hand as well.

I never thought you were stiring the pot, was just,like you, about to ask the same thing about which arm those things were strapped to!

With the rounds on the back of the trigger hand the shells are only about 5 inches away from the chambers, and as you said your hand never leaves the pistol grip! Very quick!

Todd watching Mike shoot fast with that 500NE extractor K-gun is something to see!

Larry's thing is a very good idea, and certainly cost effective! I'd place it on my trigger arm however.

Still what ever works! tu2

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

I never thought you were stiring the pot, was just,like you, about to ask the same thing about which arm those things were strapped to!

With the rounds on the back of the trigger hand the shells are only about 5 inches away from the chambers, and as you said your hand never leaves the pistol grip! Very quick!

Still what ever works! tu2

Yeah, I just haven't seen it done that way in person or on video that I can remember. I suppose I just assumed there was one way of doing it but then there is that "ass" word again! Smiler

Anyone have a video clip of holding the forearm and loading with the trigger hand?

Actually, with the holding the forearm and loading with the trigger hand technique, it seems that would lend itself well to Bailey Bradshaw's falling block design. That is the technique I load my Ruger #1 and I'm pretty fast with it. But of course the rifle doesn't break open. That's the part that has me a bit confused until I see it I suppose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Besides wearing a 15 round ammo belt I always crry ammo on the rifle in a buttstock shell carrier. That way there is always some extra ammo on the rifle...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's much easier to just work the bolt for shots 3, 4, and 5 :-)

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

But not nearly as cool!!! Cool

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
Igorrock having an ammo belt with a lid is in my opinion extremely dangerous. You will never have enough time to open and reload.

Actually, this has been made for hunter with .375 H&H Ruger 1. It´s not for dangerous game, or maybe moose is sometimes dargerous...?
The owner said that when the situation comes, first thing to do is open the lid. After that everything depends on to practising the fast loading.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Unless its a bolt action double rifle...

Biebs probably has one Wink

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:
quote:

Unless its a bolt action double rifle...

Biebs probably has one Wink

I think Blaser made one of those things.

barf barf

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

That depends on who is doing the shooting! Roll Eyes

I find in timed shooting the double rifle is far faster for the first two, and about even on the third shot, and way ahead again on shot four! Of course if the double is being reloaded from a butt stock carrier, or an ammo belt you may closer on shot four. and on five you've got an advantage if the buffalo or lion doesn't get to you while you are fiddling with that bolt! Big Grin

..............................................................then you just faint! faint

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree with you about maintaining the rifle in my right/shooting hand and have trained extensivley that way with patrol rifles as well as shotguns, HOWEVER once I started doing reloading drills with my double I found that I was much faster holding the rifle with my left hand and grabbing two rounds and getting them lined up and chambered with the added dexterity of my right hand. It was much faster and my thought was that in a crunch I would rather be falling back on training with my strong hand getting those loose rounds chambered and getting myself back in the game ASAP. To each his own, this just worked for me.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
The double rifle has to be removed from the shoulder each time it is reloaded. The bolt rifle should ideally be held in the shoulder while reloading. Wouldn't this give a further time advantage to the bolt rifle?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
quote:

I agree with you about maintaining the rifle in my right/shooting hand and have trained extensivley that way with patrol rifles as well as shotguns, HOWEVER once I started doing reloading drills with my double I found that I was much faster holding the rifle with my left hand and grabbing two rounds and getting them lined up and chambered with the added dexterity of my right hand. It was much faster and my thought was that in a crunch I would rather be falling back on training with my strong hand getting those loose rounds chambered and getting myself back in the game ASAP. To each his own, this just worked for me.

My experience has well.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
quote:

My experience has well.

I'm with Mike J. here. It has been my limited experience that reloading a double is fastest holding the gun in the left hand for a righty and using your dominant hand to find, load, and re-engage the gun.

I had a special two round leather cartridge belt made for my chest belt that puts the rounds at hand height. The only down-side to it is that it can be hot in hot weather. I think a left wrist holder is the most efficient.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Competitive shooters are masters at getting non-shooting things done quickly. They have found two things that are mantras to them. 1. The quickest route is the shortest, and 2. You can do two things at the same time faster than doing two things one after the other.

How does that pertain to reloading a double rifle? While you break the rifle you can also bring it down to belt level at the same time and you can bring it back up to shoulder while you are closing the action. At belt level your right hand is only inches from a belt loader on your right side and the chambers (if right handed). Fastest way to get one or two shells into your double.

I started out reloading with my left hand from a culling belt because I was use to speed reloading my 1911 that way. With the double rifle I was fumbling too many reloads and sometimes dropping shells. Switching to the above method solved most of the fumbling problems and resulted in much quicker reloads. Using the left hand means that I have to move my left hand 12 to 18" instead of 3 or 4". Has to be faster.

Having ammo on your wrist is just something else to catch on vines or creepers or even worse, wait-a-bit thorns.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Have to disagree Walt. Holding the rifle's pistol grip with the right hand with the rifle broken open, the rounds on my belt are just inches, not 10 to 12", away from the left hand and chambers.

Mentally thinking about it, I don't see how the rounds and chambers can be anywhere as close to each other loading with the right hand vs the left. With the left hand, I just drag the cartridge tips across the chamber openings and drop them in.

But, whatever works for you guys. Lots of ways to skin the cat. Just as long as the skin comes off!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

I was talking about how far your left hand has to travel from the fore stock to the ammo on your belt or wrist. Then it has to return that same distance before you can close the action. The right hand on the pistol grip is much closer to the ammo on your belt. But like you say what ever works for you.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote