New
Find
Notify
Tools

12-bore double rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The first double that I built, about 20 years ago, was a 12-bore. Yesterday evening it took its twelfth whitetail, a huge buck, at 123 yards. One shot with a Lightfield Hybred slug through the lungs, dropped him dead in his tracks. I've attached a few photos.
Best,
Ron Vella.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
A buddy and I took two 12ga side-by-sides and made double rifles out of them by polishing the double triggers, adding rifle sights, and screwing in rifled chokes. By trying both commercial slugs and casting some of our own, we did pretty well with them. They've become our favorite hog rifles.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work Ron. A 12 bore double makes for a great hunting gun!

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Awesome.

I was gonna guess a Canadian buck...Bergman’s principle in full effect with that bugger. Nice!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

Congrats! That is one massive whitetail.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12922 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron, no wonder you knew Lou Alessandri...I didn't know you had a 12-bore rifle! Great Whitetail!

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GREAT D/R and a Great kill! Excellent Rack!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Ron

Nice deer well done.
Eat him in good health.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ron, this is outstanding. What shotgun did you build your double on?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I built it on a Belgian gun by Neumann Brothers of Liege. The barrels are from Hastings, back in the day when they built them in the USA and made blanks available. As info, this buck's teeth show him to be 10 1/2 years old!

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote