New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope on a 9.3x74R Chapuis
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It's about 90% sure I'm going to order a Chapuis in 9.3x74R and it's going to have a scope as it's primary sight. The question is "what scope"?

I currently have 3-10x42mm Swarovski AV's (1" tube) on my three hunting rifles -- my .223AI Walking Varminter, my 7.82 (30-cal) Lazzeroni Patriot and my 9.53 (375-cal) Lazzeroni HellCat. I spent a lot of time deciding on this particular scope and think it's one of the most versatile around but I'm concerned that the 42mm objective lens might be "to big" for a Chapuis in 9.3x74R.

For those of you who scope your doubles, what scope and power are you using and what do you think of the Swarovski 3-10x42mm as a choice?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
I've got both my Krieghoff Classic barrels scoped.

The 500/416 wears a S&B 1.1-4 and the 9.3x74R has a S&B 1.5-6.

The 9.3 and 1.5-6, 1.75-6, 2-7, etc range of scopes are a great combo. Any quality glass in this range should allow you the full use of your 9.3x74R.

Your 3-10 would also do nicely, I just like the ability to dial it way down in the thick bush like I hunted in Mozambique and frequently encounter here hunting the north woods. The objective on my 1.5-6 S&B is a 42mm objective and does not seem to large for the rifle IMHO.

I recently changed my 9.3x74R scope to match the one on the 500/416 so I have both calibers scoped with similar glass and identical reticles. Thought that would be wise on this type of rifle. Something to be said for comfort and familiarity when hunting to eliminate a variable that may screw up a shot when the time comes.

Scope it and enjoy shooting and hunting with the rifle.

Mike

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike.....I had a Swarovski 1.5-6x42mm on my 375 and never quite got used to the 1st focal plane system....great at 6X but didn't care for the "look" at 1.5X.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill

I have 2 scopes fitted in rings for my 9,3 Chapuis.
A 2.5-8 Leupold and a Swarovski 1.5-6x42, with the illuminated circle dot reticle.
The Swaro is my favorite. I do not consider it too big for the Chapuis.

Your 3-10 would work ok. However I like being able to dial down to 1.5x in the thick stuff or when approaching downed game.

I have taken most of the game shot with the scope at 3.5 to 5x

I would definately get an illuminated reticle.

If you think the 42mm is too big take a look at the 2-7 Kahles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I've been looking as well. For the 9.3 my thinking is that up to 6 power would be ideal.

I also like large objectives - the higher the objective the more light gathering ability the scope has.

I also wanted one that could be dialed way down. Even if you take it to some place other than Africa, you are going to have some prety close encounters.

My pick would be the Schmidt and Bender 1.5 X 6 with the 42 mm objective.

I have a couple of Swaros on other rifles, and agree with you on the focal plane issue when dialing down. Swaro has just come out with a model that fixes the problem. I have only read about it and haven't seen it. Since I have learned the hard way not to be one of the first buyers of a new model anything, the S&B seems like the perfect fit.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The circle dot reticle is kind of unique.
At low power you use the circle, you cannot see the dot when in a hurry, works very well even in low light with the reticle illuminated.
At higher power you use the dot.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold 1.75x6x32 power equates to LOW PROFILE on all of my doubles (except the 470 N.E.). I use a 1 inch instead of the 30 mm because the scopes already sit high on a double and I don't want it any higher. I view double scoped guns as 250 yd max guns so six power on the high side is sweet, I shot a 38 inch male gemsbok at 238yds this year in Namibia with my scoped Merkle in 30-06. It was all I needed to get the job done.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a small pic of the reticle mentioned...Swarovski calls it a #24 and I think S&B calls it a #9...either either way it's a "battue" which has something to do with "running game"....I shot several animals at full speed with my Swarovski 1.5-6x42mm, some in poor light, and it works great. Very, very fast to use.

DB Bill aka Bill George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm putting on leupold 1 1/2 -5 scopes with illuminated reticle. for one double rifle it will be the circle dot reticle. for the other double rifle it will be the german #4 reticle, also illuminated

these scopes sit low and have plenty of power for a 9,3

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, if I go through with my plans to purchase the 9.3 I may just put on a red dot to piss all the purists off!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A red dot is not a bad choice, they just look so "different". Both Zeiss and Doctor Optic make a very small red dot type scope the I have seen used on doubles in Europe.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe

If you want to get 'em stirred up, have some picatinny rails welded to the bottom of the barrels and stick a laser underneath. But make sure it has quick detach capabilities so yo can also slap a surefire flashlight on it when you need it.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
You know, if I go through with my plans to purchase the 9.3 I may just put on a red dot to piss all the purists off!

Nah. Geez, man, you need help to get anything right. Just weld one of those G & H Sidemount abortions to the left barrel.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote