THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Entry level double rifles. SIACE ????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Entry level double rifles. SIACE ????
 Login/Join

posted
I am thinking about buying a double rifle, and would like to have a 9.3x74. On this forum I have read much information about the Chapuis and merkel 141, either of these two rifles would make me happy. But, I would like to find out more information about SIACE's double rifles. Dose anyone on this forum have one? If so could you please comment on accuracy, reliability and any problems with the gun. Also is the Kodiak MKII DR made by SIACE?

Posts: 4 | Location: buffalo,wv | Registered: 21 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a Chapuis in 9,3x74R to RSA with me in mid-April for Plains Game. I shot a very nice Kudu, a very good Gemsbuck, and a mature Waterbuck. Got the shot of a lifetime and took a Caracal (at 220+ yards away) first day out. I would take mine for anything except Elephant, Cape Buffalo, or Hippo without a second thought. The Chapuis have single or double trigger, ejectors or extractors, and about six grades of wood and engraving. They also have a long time proven track record around the world. Shop a bit and you can buy a clean used one for about five-grand. Mine is in the picture below in RSA.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis in 9,3x74R is one of my favorite hunting rifles.

I have taken a lot of different game with it.

I have used it on some big stuff as well.

Giraffe, 2 shots, my biggest cape buff one 286 Woodleigh soft, and a cow elephant at 5 yards, one shot, side brain.

What ever double you get you should really like the 9,3x74R.

I highly recommed you have it scoped with QD mounts.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kebco has new Chapuis' for $4600.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watch the Euro slide down the toilet and then order a Chapuis. Great rifles!
Plan on ordering another one myself in 375H&H if the Euro drops down even with the American dollar.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would watch the Siaces. I saw one with a test target that must have been a 5" 2-shot group!

Posts: 20163 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi wvwoods, When I worked at Bass Pro Shops Fine Gun Room, I had the pleasure of selling a Siace boxlock double in .444 Marlin to a gentleman. I did not have the oppurtunity to fire the gun, but, it sure handled well and appeared to be very well built. A very nice rifle. If it had been a 45-70, I may have considered it myself.
I have a Pedersoli Kodiak, and it is my understanding that the action is sourced from Siace and Pedersoli builds the gun. If you look at the actions on the Pedersoli and the Siace side hammer guns they sure look alike.
I hope this helps

Posts: 13 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 09 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SIACE says max regulation is 7mm (2.75") at 50 meters. Most will do much better.

I sell both SIACE and Chapuis, in my opinion the SIACE is a more refined gun than the Chapuis, with far more hand work and finishing but then it should be for the additional cost.

That's not to say that the Chapuis is bad by any means, overall the Chapuis UGEX is tough to beat for the money and have been rock solid.

Pedersoli uses the SIACE sxs hammer action.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kebco, will the weakness of the Euro vs. the dollar eventually show up in pricing or is now as good a time as any?

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I could answer that, a lot depends on what you want, the manufacture and how long the Euro stays low. Increases in 2010 for new SIACE orders more than wipes out any gains on the value of the dollar. Wood upgrades from Chapuis more than doubled in 2010. If only I could predict the future.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Siace are great guns and I have two in 45-70 which is a great all around caliber for a double and the perfect American double. Light weight and well balanced. Both of mine shoot great but you way have to work up a load to suit youself. Both guns will keep both barrels within 2 inches. I've had and have many doubles the Siace is one of my favorites. Now if Ken could just get them to build a 450NE. Bought one of my Siace from Ken and several others from him also. Ken will treat you right.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a PM.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote