Find
Notify
Tools

Double rifle soft case
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I have a fitted Americase for my Searcy, but I'm curious....what kinds of soft cases do you guys use for your doubles?

I've been just using a cheap shotgun case, but it is much longer than it needs to be. I'm curious if anyone makes a well-built soft case specifically for doubles....or at least a "short" shotgun case.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Boyt and others make takedown soft cases that work quite well.

http://www.boytharness.com/Boy...da-b0a8-2028f33f18a9

Mike

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I second Mike on the Boyt.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wade, if you're thinking of when riding in the Landcruiser during a hunt, you'd need a full-length case. I'd measure the rifle's accembled length, then check the catalogs for one the right size. They rifle well in the "hook" rests behind the cab.

Posts: 20119 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Wade, if you're thinking of when riding in the Landcruiser during a hunt, you'd need a full-length case. I'd measure the rifle's accembled length, then check the catalogs for one the right size. They rifle well in the "hook" rests behind the cab.

I have a recommendation for that as well. The flat dog cases by Red Oxx are outstanding to use on a hunt. They pack easy and provide good protection in the rack in the Cruiser. You can also get multiple colors to make it easier to get to the rifle you want quickly, i.e., put the double in a red case and the scoped rifle in a yellow case or whatever.

Mike

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any well made soft shotgun case will work

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second the endorsement of the Red Oxx flat dogs, just don't expect them to come home with you. Your PH will talk you out of it. I need a couple of new ones at this point.

Posts: 10090 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys....I should have been more specific. I was referring to a case to be used when the gun is fully assembled....such as riding in a truck.

Like I said, the soft shotgun cases do work, but they are just way too long. I prefer not to have 10-12 inches of floppy, unfilled area toward the end of the case. If at all possible, I'd like to find a stout soft case that fits the double with only an inch or two to spare....possibly with a large zipper pouch on the outside for a box of shells and an oil rag.

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
It looks like Bob Allen makes a 44" shotgun case that would work nicely....

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...cm_vc=ProductFinding

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
If you want quality made in the USA then you should look at the Galco range of gun slips.
A lot of those other brands are now made in China and those chaps already get enough of my $$.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Boyt was making a short case for police riot-guns in their law enforcement line. It was the perfect length - 42" - for my DR and I bought 3 of them last year - they also fit my 20" bbl B&M rifle. They went to africa last year for two DR and the B&M and worked great. They are well padded and reasonably priced.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Cabelas sells green canvas cases almost identical to the boyt line at about half price. That is what I have used on all of my trips. Seams I have some down as short as 38" from them all the way to I think 54" or so. I have at least a dozen of them in all the sizes.

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will second that Cabelas case. They must be made by the same company that makes the Boyt. One important difference is that the Cabelas case has a nylon zipper instead of brass which I much prefer. I probably have 7 or 8 of them in various sizes

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the cases hear. Great quality.
http://www.texashuntco.com/Pro...ils.asp?ProductID=50
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I do not know the maker or any other details but do like the case(s) It might have been WR

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2686 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is Jim from African sporting creations and we make cape buff and in the near future elephant cases for double rifles that have a rectangular tip that means a double will not want to twist in the case. They can be made using your hides www.africansc.com

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I am finally replacing two of my soft cases that I have used for my rifles, including my doubles, for the last 10 safaris. I picked up two very nice Bob Allen cases from, of all places, Walmart, and they are great. I think that they were about $25 apiece. Big Grin The soft cases that I have been using for the last 10 safaris were made by Bulldog and I purchased them from Midway USA. They have been great!

One of Us
Picture of Paladin 56
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
I have a fitted Americase for my Searcy, but I'm curious....what kinds of soft cases do you guys use for your doubles?

I've been just using a cheap shotgun case, but it is much longer than it needs to be. I'm curious if anyone makes a well-built soft case specifically for doubles....or at least a "short" shotgun case.

I just had this prototype case made and haven't used it enough to determine what else will be necessary.

Of course a carrying handle may be in order as well as added protection for the muzzle end.

It's made of heavy tent canvas with an 1/8" felt liner sewn in. I may have to have small d-rings sewn in on each side where the ties come together to keep the flap from slipping off the end, although that hasn't been a problem so far.

The handle could be like those seen on all soft cases, two straps that go completely around the case, or as my wife suggested, a "button hole" type handle where the material would be a bit wider where the "button hole" would go. I like that idea best since it would look cleaner.

Another think I like is that the handle will be at the balance point since few "fit all's" are too large and the handle isn't in the right place.

My only concern at this point is the felt used for the liner and whether it will accelerate wear. Too soon to tell at this point.

David

DRSS member

Do what you can with what you've got where you are. TR

Posts: 82 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 17 March 2006Reply With Quote