THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Is this a good deal for a Buff Hunt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this a good deal for a Buff Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted
This might be a option for a DR for buff

Double Rifle

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
This might be a option for a DR for buff

Not for me.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
jumping jumping jumping
stir>>>>>>>>>>45-70<<<<<<<<<<<< killpc

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentelmen
Please tell the good Doctor why not..After all learning is an important aspect of this site..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh dear God! Please, not another .45/70 on buffalo thread!

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
Why is every body geting upset we all know the 45-70 has killed millions of buffalo in North America, so it should as well as those Ntro Express rounds do in Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i can rent you a reamer for 450 x 3 1/4 or 450 # 2

then everyone here will agree you have a proper buff rifle

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where's 500 Grains when You need him..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I've got three 45-70 rifles, and I'm thinking about going to Africa! What I need to know is, should I take my double rifle, my Ruger No1, or my Marlin custom trapper?

Confused Confused Confused

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac
A few years ago one Bill Steigers was telling me about 350 Rem. and Bitteroot bullets on Buf's.. Would not be my pick ... but they worked well.. It has been proved that Sledgehammer 45-70 ammo will take Buf's cleanly.
Your thoughts..
AK

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Please make it stop... hammering

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for MAC D

you simply -must - take all three rifles !! animal

just 2 extra gunbearers are needed and you would never have to worry about reloading.

you would simply switch rifles..... if the gunbearers stuck around thumb

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
for MAC D

you simply -must - take all three rifles !! animal

just 2 extra gunbearers are needed and you would never have to worry about reloading.

you would simply switch rifles..... if the gunbearers stuck around thumb

jumping jumping jumping

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akrange:
Mac
A few years ago one Bill Steigers was telling me about 350 Rem. and Bitteroot bullets on Buf's.. Would not be my pick ... but they worked well.. It has been proved that Sledgehammer 45-70 ammo will take Buf's cleanly.
Your thoughts..
AK

My thoughts are all packaged in one! Why bother with an illegal, barely minimum cartridge, when the stores are simply bulging with properly chambered rifles for that purpose? Confused

God forbid, that a person use a "REAL" cape buffalo rifle, chambered for a "REAL" dangerous game cartridge that will keep the gun bearers from haveing to climb trees!

Sadly, this silly discussion will never be put to rest, on these forums. However it has been put to rest for me! wave

BOOM..... dancing... mgun

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac
Dr. B and I were not on the Forum when the "Great War" happen over the 45-70 as a African D.Game round .. I guess it was intense..
Keyboard to Keyboard for sometime.. Brother against Brother.. You'll here no more from me on this..
AK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
pls look at my posts on the "cheap double rifle" topic.

if someone can post a 4 page letter i got from the builder i can email it to you. lots of good info on his rifles that should be shared.

tom crownpress@alltel.net

TOMO577

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what all the hoopla is all about.

A .45-70 pushing a 512gr bullet at 2400 FPS is just fine for buffalo.

And I know because I chronoed a load just yesterday out of my Marlin @ over 2500FPS. I am going to back down the powder by 8 grs (Win 296) so that I have a safe pressure margin and 2400 fps ought to get er done.

At 2400 FPS with 512 Gr super flat side thumpenator anal pentrater bullet I'm only pushing about 147,000 CUP.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:

A .45-70 pushing a 512gr bullet at 2400 FPS is just fine for buffalo.

There is absolutely no reason why you cannot push a 600 grain cast lead bullet at 2500 fps from a 45-70. The secret is in the bullet lube (hint: melt Crayola crayons with wax toilet seals and add a pinch of saddle soap).

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
And I thought that I would get better responce from the Anti-45-70 cult. I guess my shameless atempt to stir some shit failed. moon

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac/500 Grains
Beware of the LEVERevolution.. C-change is in the wind..
AK