New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 x 2 1/2" for Elephant?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking at one tomorrow that I would like to use on an Elephant this year. I just read the ballistics which show a 280gr bullet at 1975fps....underpowered for Elephant?

What was this round designed for?

Can I re-bore it to 375 H&H safely...it is a double rifle, but will it handle the H&H?

I would like to hear your opinions/info on this round.

Thanks

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
It's an excellent wounding cartridge.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19338 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's probably illegal for elephant in Zimbabwe and perhaps elsewhere as they specify a certain minimum striking energy. A 9.3x62 with a 286 grain bullet at 2300 fps just makes the cut.

I don't think that anyone can answer your rebore question because it depends, among other things, on how much and how fast the barrel tapers ahead of the chambers.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What game was it designed for?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
I am looking at one tomorrow that I would like to use on an Elephant this year. I just read the ballistics which show a 280gr bullet at 1975fps....underpowered for Elephant?

What was this round designed for?

Can I re-bore it to 375 H&H safely...it is a double rifle, but will it handle the H&H?

I would like to hear your opinions/info on this round.

Thanks

Designed as a deer cartridge.

No, I would NOT Suggest a rebore to H&H or H&H Flanged
- even though some unethical dealers in the US did it
quite often to raise the value of the gun.

which if you fire it will promptly stuff it (pull it off the face).

A good deer, pig, wild boar round. Great in a fast light double.

Way underpowered for Elephant.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I had a wonderful Cogswell & Harrison double in that caliber. It was (and is, according to Frank Beller) amaziningly accurate shooting 2" at 100 yards if you can so see the sights.

I took the little gun to Africa in 2004 or so??? and killed plains game up to Eland with it shooting 270 grain bullets at about 2000 f.p.s. I loaded some solids for it at a little less velocity and, in a pinch, probably would have shot a buffalo through the ribs with it and, subsequently, after listening to my daughter's advice, smoked a cigar (instead of a cigarette) before I followed up... Roll Eyes

All in all, I killed everything I shot with it dead pretty darn quickly... but, IMHO, it is very, very marginal for buffalo (and I'd not try it unless I had killed a bunch and wouldn't be p.o.'ed if I had to back off because a perfect shot wasn't presented on mbogo)...

What about Elephant? ... I wouldn't even consider purposefully putting myself (and the elephant) in the position of trying to kill one with it. I want to hold grandchildren some day.

It's a damn fine cartridge, but for a real thick skinned DG rifle... stick to something more.

Will knows of what he speaks. He knows of what he writes. I'll catch up to him on elephant some day (maybe three this year?), but if you've ever been the the length of a Honda Accord from the tusks of a pissed elephant, you will know that a gun with a bunch more energy will be preciously adored.

As to rechambering, I doubt that a .375 2.5" would withstand the pressures of the .375 H&H, flanged or belted. More importantly, why screw up a wonderfully usefull rifle that is perfectly competent for it's intended purpose.. Plains game, red deer, maybe a leopard or a lion in a pinch...

Just buy the dang rifle and enjoy it as the maker intended.

JMHO.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7610 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not use it for elephant.
I would not rechamber it to 375Flanged Magnum.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
It's an excellent wounding cartridge.

rotflmo

Will- You think it would work as well as your little 9.3 on ele? Maybe with a 470 for back up... Big Grin

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas,

I am disappointed with the responses I am reading here since I really want to buy the gun but I won't spend $9,000 on a plainsgame rifle.
I know that the ballistics are not enough for Elephant, but I was hoping that the action/barrels could stand a rebore.

The gun is a Cogswell&Harrison (cased with accessories) in restored condition. I have never seen an English double of this quality for such a low price. I guess the pitiful caliber reflects on the asking price.
Do any of you know of this type of gun?

Is there any other low-preassure caliber that this gun could be chambered for or should I look for a good/used Merkel 470??

PS I hate the Blaser's looks, especially the sights!

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Don't be too disappointed in the "little" 375’s ballistics. I suspect - if you owned it - that you would actually hunt with it a lot more than you would a 470.

Regarding C&H rifles, their quality seems to vary greatly IMO, and each one should be evaluated individually. They made some very nice rifles, and they made some that were not as nice.

If the condition is there (particularly the bores), don't be too quick to dismiss it on ballistics alone. It’s not the ideal elephant rifle, but - again - I suspect that you would use it more than you think.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it a plain, unengraved Boxlock Non ejector DR by C&H ?

or something better than this.

the plain Jame DR's were IMHO pretty low quality.
Yes, they have been rebored in the past but I wouldn't
do it.

The one I owned was not nice.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is the plain, unengraved, extractor.

I'll let the cat out of the bag and tell you all that it is being offered by Cabelas from their Gun Vault.

If I weren't looking for a rifle to kill Elephant with I would grab it right away.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
At first glance, the work appears to be nicely done.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a great calibre for "lessor"game, it is just not a cape buff, elephant gun IMHO.

New guy is right about you shooting and hunting with it more than a 470.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking now that it does not have a third bite or top locking mechanism like the gun in the Heym photo, so I wonder how strong the lock up is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
I am looking now that it does not have a third bite or top locking mechanism like the gun in the Heym photo, so I wonder how strong the lock up is.

For that cartridge, it shouldn't be a problem.

One of the reasons the guns were able to be built cheaply.

posted Hide Post
I sold that rifle to Cabelas and unless it's been worked on it's pretty badly off face. They got it cheap enough to fix it and still sell it at that price but last I heard it was not fixed. The bores are good and I got good accuracy from each barrel but could not get them to shoot together. I didn't spend a lot of time at it though.

Check it over very carfully. If you have any questions just ask.

Also, when I got it one of the cocking levers had to be bent to assure proper timing. Once I removed the bottom plate the craftsmanship inside was less than impressive.

I hate to say it but if you're looking for a first double I suggest you pass on this or be prepared to have a fair amount of work done.

Doug

Posts: 15 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug.
I am definetly passing on it although it was tempting. Too much money for a rifle I can't hunt big stuff with.
I will hold out for something newer and in 375 H&H and up.

Seeing London England on the barrels gets to me though....

posted Hide Post
It is a very nice looking rifle, but you're making the right decision. When I bought it from Cape Outfitters I could have gotten a Merkel 9.3x74R for $2000 less. I made the wrong choice. Good luck on your HUNT.

Doug

Posts: 15 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote