THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Specifications for Chapuis?Merkel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Specifications for Chapuis?Merkel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are the factory standard drop at comb/heel, lop, cast etc specs of a Chapuis 470? Does anyone know if the guns that come to the US have different specs as opposed to those sold say within France?

Also can a Merkel big bore owner verify that the specs that are posted on the GSI site indeed match the specs of their 470 or 500?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Showbart:

Also can a Merkel big bore owner verify that the specs that are posted on the GSI site indeed match the specs of their 470 or 500?

I have two Merkel double rifles, a 140-2, 470NE, and a 140E, 9.3X74R, and the specs are spot on, on mine! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot a friends Chapuis 470. LOP was short, shorter than the Merkel 470 he traded. This is all odd. Merkels off the shelf have always fit me very well, with nice long lop, over the butt plate. Chapuis OK. This factory Merkel was short, but it was bought new, with a pad added without cutting, so it was stated. Chapuis was new too, so Cabela's said and sold it as such, but it was short, real short and with pad on already. We had to try 2 different slip ons to keep from getting pushed around too much.

I know some makers have specific stock specs for the US market. Wonder if Merkel or Chapuis have different specs for the US as opposed to France/Europe. I'm going to guess Chapuis maybe but not likely Merkel, Germans being big build.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Merkel purposely builds ther rifles with a plastic butt plate so the length of pull can be fitted to the customer when a recoil pad is installed! Both mine have recoil pads on them, but they are the same length as they were from the factory!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Showbart

Sorry that I didn't see your post earlier. The standard Chapuis measurements are LOP 15", DOC 1.5", DAH 2.55" to 2.95", Cast .25". A rifle with a short stock would have to be special ordered that way.

Dale

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Merkel purposely builds ther rifles with a plastic butt plate so the length of pull can be fitted to the customer when a recoil pad is installed! Both mine have recoil pads on them, but they are the same length as they were from the factory!

Correct, that's what I was told as well
- and it makes sense.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merkel used to supply a hogback stock in europe.

i don't know if they still do

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote