New
Find
Notify
Tools

VC 500 off the bench
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sam Rose has been helping me with fine tuning loads for the 500NE that I got from him earlier this year. Sam suggested that I post some of these pictures. All were shot from 50yds resting my hand on the front rest and letting my elbow rest on the side of my leather bag so the gun didn't touch anything but my hand and shoulder.

Composite groups:
Left target:475gr Raptors with 106gr RL15, 510gr CEB solids with 106gr RL15, and 530gr Raptors with 106gr of IMR4350
Right target:475gr Raptors with 107gr RL15, 510gr CEB solids with 107gr RL15 and 530gr Raptors with 107gr of IMR4350

Factory Hornady 570gr DGX

Barnes Vortx 570gr banded solids

I was holding 6 o'clock on the center orange dot. That seemed to work better for me than black or orange dots on white paper.

The 475's were running 2200fps and 2260fps respectively. I did not chronograph the 510's or 530's due to weather.

I think I am going to stay with the 475/510 combination, but it really doesn't seem to matter which combination I use.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Don't know what a raptor is, but targets don't get any better with a double!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shooting. Is a Raptor a soft or solid?

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1976 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Ed

Very Excellent as we talked about, just don't get any better than that... I do love that little gun as well, those 24 inch barrels are so handy (we could cut them down a bit HEH). When Sam had it down here I fell in love with it.... Don't tell Sam, but its far better than that big long heavy thing he has now... tu2

Use the 510/475 combo, you should see what that 475 Raptor does to buffalo, it literally blows them away......... The 510s have been used now on several elephant, both body and head shots, and elephant do not like them at all......

Pappas, you won't like those bullets, they are one of those "Passing Fad" things that as you say are "In Vogue Today" and "Tomorrow someone will come up with something better--or say they are better for their moment of fame."

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Yessir!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
Great shooting. Is a Raptor a soft or solid?

Cheers, Chris

BBW#13 HP Raptor..... The CEB Bullet that has the 6 blades that shear after 1.5-2 inches.....

M

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shooting! Looks like you found the perfect loads to go and kill something.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ed, Looks like you're going to keep it, RATS!
Told you it was a good shooter. That is one nice well balanced gun and shoots really well. You really can't ask for much better grouping especially with several different bullets weights. The BBW#13 as it was designed with the 4 bands gives the same bearing surface which I think makes different weights shoot into the same group. Those 475 grain Raptors turn a 500 NE into a whole different animal. Its smokes buffalo!! Now you need to go smoke some!!!

Glad you are happy with it.

Sam former owner of that beautiful double.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Sam I think it's a keeper. You told me it was a real shooter.

I met with an outdoor writer this afternoon and he took pictures of it and a couple of other rifles of mine to use in a stopping rifle article for Gun Digest. That will be be pretty cool.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Pappas, you won't like those bullets, they are one of those "Passing Fad" things that as you say are "In Vogue Today" and "Tomorrow someone will come up with something better--or say they are better for their moment of fame."

458: Just curious as I've never heard of them before. But I seem to have struck a nerve and for that I apologize.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess it won`t make a good article if a poorer grouping was made or a different bullet used,eh? Wink

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Oh, no Pappas, you have not struck a nerve at all, just seems to me with you having written a book or two and being famous as the double rifle guru, your time might be better spent educating yourself about various different bullets in use with double rifles before frothing at the mouth on the Pop Quiz thread above on big bores, and other derogatory comments on threads concerning various bullets, or the folks working with those bullets, that don't fit into your mold of perfection. I just find that rather strange is all? No harm done at all, and is neither here nor there........

My goal is to simply help hunters/shooters so they can be more successful in their endeavors in the field, regardless of whether its a double, bolt, single or what have you. Enough, my apologies for the hijack of a great thread, sorry Ed.........

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Left target:475gr Raptors with 106gr RL15, 510gr CEB solids with 106gr RL15, and 530gr Raptors with 106gr of IMR4350
Right target:475gr Raptors with 107gr RL15, 510gr CEB solids with 107gr RL15 and 530gr Raptors with 107gr of IMR4350

Ed, Sam and I found a great deal of variances with powders, as you know, and from the velocity mentioned, and compared with data Sam and I did in 500 NE, I would put your RL 15 loads between 39000 PSI and the higher velocity to 42000 PSI, even though you are a bit less powder than what we tested. Tighter rifle, different RL 15, brass, and so forth accounting for this....... I think you are in very good shape with those loads, accuracy, terminal performance, regulation, pressures, and velocity, can't get any better.......

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will have to try the Aussie agent for some of those for my 500 3 1/4".

Thanks, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1976 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Chris

Get in touch with Daryl he can sort you out and get some for you.........

http://www.meplat.com.au

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loaded some rounds tonight for this weekend.
The rounds on the left are the 475gr CEB Raptors with the Talon tips and the rounds on the right are the 510gr CEB solids.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Mr Scarboro,

You need to book shooting instruction with our
own SHOOTAWAY!!! rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Just kidding of course. Wonderful targets sir!
Very fine indeed...
wave

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:
Mr Scarboro,

Very fine indeed...
wave

DR:
Maybe the reason his targets are so good is he HAS taken lessons from the famous Shootaway!
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Very nice shooting Ed.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:
Mr Scarboro,

Very fine indeed...
wave

DR:
Maybe the reason his targets are so good is he HAS taken lessons from the famous Shootaway!
Cal

Behind a CABELAS store on a range they own/operate!!! Big Grin

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Don't know what a raptor is, but targets don't get any better with a double!
Cal

..................................................ABSOLUTELY! Anything that gets within 50 yards of that rifle is in some real trouble!

GOOD SHOW! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the test loads that I tried today make it easier to decide which loads to use. I fired 4 rounds of each load.

Bench was set up the same as last week.

The first target is 106gr or RL15 and 475gr CEB Raptors

The second target is 106gr of RL15 with 510gr CEB solids

The third target is 107gr of RL15 with 475gr CEB Raptors

The fourth target is 107gr of RL15 and 510gr CEB solids

Think these confirm that I should be loading 107gr of (this lot) RL15 with the 475gr/510gr combination that Michael458 and srose have recommended. I need to chronograph these to make sure I know what velocity I will need to duplicate when this lot runs out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who cares what the velocity is if it shoots like that! I think you have found the sweet spot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam have you tested these loads for pressure?

I am getting an average of 2010fps from 105gn H4350 with Woodleigh 570gn softs from my 500 3 1/4" double. It is regulated for Tropical load (made 1905).

Curious as to how the RL15 goes at that charge weight. I realise there is a big difference between 510gn and 570gn.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
I will have to try the Aussie agent for some of those for my 500 3 1/4".

Thanks, Chris

Thanks Michael

Will do.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,

I've never pressure tested a tropical load so not sure what that would be. 93 grs of RL-15 behind a 570 Woodleigh soft gave us 1990 fps and a pressure of 32507 psi in my gun. Your 3 1/4 inch case may give slightly lower pressures. Going to a 510 CEB 101 grs of RL-15 gave around 2070fps but I could not find pressure data on it. Hope this helps. You can see all Data Michael and I did on his web site under addictional research.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sam

I checked that data since my post. Lot of useful information there.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Think these confirm that I should be loading 107gr of (this lot) RL15 with the 475gr/510gr combination that Michael458 and srose have recommended. I need to chronograph these to make sure I know what velocity I will need to duplicate when this lot runs out.

clap

I don't think there is much doubt about that......... If you are running around 2300 fps with these then matching velocity with the pressures we did (not necessarily the same amount of RL 15), then I would say you are under pressure and running 42000-43000 with the 510s and 40000-41000 with the 475 Raptors...... These are extremely effective on anything you choose to use them on........

Very Excellent....................

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ordered and some for the 500/450.

These approach the weight my rifles were regulated for.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rockdoc--I currently own three doubles, Merkel 470, Searcy 470 and Verney Carron 500NE, and they have shot well with all of the CEB's that I have tried regardless of weight. The point of impact has been very close regardless of weight as you can see in the pictures on this thread. I could overlay the 570's with the 475's and 510's. I think Sam is correct with his theory that the four bands make the bearing surface the same on all weights to help the point of impact be more consistent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed.

Some good information here and great shooting!

Order is on its way and I actually have a couple of pounds of RE15!

Did you notice any difference with and without the tips?

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rockdoc..I have not shot groups with and without tips to compare side by side. I think any difference would be more apparent if shot at 100yds instead of just 50yds. If I had to guess, I say they were just maybe .5"-1" inch higher at 50yds with the tips. That could have been the difference in the lighting on the sights one week to another though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed,
I'd say it's more or less in. :-)

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote