All this talk of 577NE ...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
Click here for a great 577 Nitro

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Great looking gun, good luck with the sale! Those VC guns are growing on me.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words Ed.

Just added a crappy photo (that's all i know how to take) of the extended top tang as well as weight and LOP to the description.

Stay well

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Doc,

Where can I get a cartridge carrier for the belt like the one in your add? I need one for my 577 and don't really have time to have one made prior to my trip.

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Hey Todd,

It's a leather belt slide for 20 gauge shotshells - I think it is a Triple K. I bought a few from Cabelas. I just looked and didn't see any in 20 gauge there now.

If you can't find one, PM me your address and I'll send you a couple.

Stay well

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul.

I'll look around just a bit first before imposing on you. 20 ga and 577 are close? That should be easy to find something to work in that case.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Texas hunt co makes a larger size for the big fat cartridges.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Yea Mike, for some reason I just don't like the Texas Hunt Co stuff. Seems a bit more on the Tacti-Cool style. I like the leather and more traditional items better.

Not putting down TX Hunt Co at all as I hear their items are first rate quality wise.

At the risk of being barbecued here on AR, I actually purchased one of Mark Sullivan's cartridge holders for the 577NE. It's a leather slide that holds 6 rounds with the tips exposed. The backing is extra thick so that it retains it's shape and won't twist. It also accommodates a thick belt for added support of the heavy rounds. My only complaints are the price, $145 and I really wish it held 8 rounds instead of 6. But with two in the barrels, I think 8 should be enough. The most I've ever fired at a single DG animal was a Buffalo Bull with 5, 416 Rigby's.

How many rounds do you guys normally carry on Ele or Buff hunts?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the risk of being barbecued here on AR, I actually purchased one of Mark Sullivan's cartridge holders for the 577NE

Todd,

I’m in the market for one as well. Does Mark have a website where he sells his stuff?
I’ve looked at a few ,but it seems hard to find one for the big ones(577-600) and the ones that are made for shotgun use ( I think 20 gauge would work) usually hold to many rounds.

NN

Posts: 54 | Location: Canada | Registered: 30 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
NN,

He does but for some reason, it doesn't link from page to page anymore. I've been looking for the page for several weeks and finally found it yesterday. Let me see if I can find it again and I'll post it here.

One note, he lists several calibers, but when you click on the checkout, there are only 4 or 5 calibers listed now. Don't know if those are the ones he has left or what but the 577 is available. If you need something besides what is listed, I would just call the number on the page and talk to them. I'll be back if I can find it again.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Didn't take long. I have it in my history:

http://www.nitroexpresssafaris...rs+Username=sullivan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd,

Much appreciated.

NN

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I like Mark's too but the Triple K version at 1/8 the price was good enough for me.

But I do like Mark and his products tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like Mark's too but the Triple K version at 1/8 the price was good enough for me.

And this from a guy with $50K+ tied up in both 600NE and 577NE double rifles. Go figure! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

And this from a guy with $50K+ tied up in both 600NE and 577NE double rifles. Go figure! :-)

Priorities, man ...
Ya gotta have priorities ... beer

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Didn't take long. I have it in my history:

http://www.nitroexpresssafaris...rs+Username=sullivan

Just a heads up on this link and the Mark Sullivan cartridge holders. Mark's wife called me today to inform me that they are sold out of all calibers and do not plan to place an order for new ones anytime soon. My credit card charge has been reversed so if anyone used this link to purchase one, unfortunately it won't be coming anytime soon.

I do appreciate Mrs. Sullivan taking the time to call and explain the situation.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I've spoken with her a number of times. She is a sweetheart and a pleasure with whom to speak.
Too bad about the dropping of the belt slides.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Yea, they sure looked like good quality leather goods. And I agree, she was very nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just a heads up on this link and the Mark Sullivan cartridge holders. Mark's wife called me today to inform me that they are sold out of all calibers and do not plan to place an order for new ones anytime soon. My credit card charge has been reversed so if anyone used this link to purchase one, unfortunately it won't be coming anytime soon.

I do appreciate Mrs. Sullivan taking the time to call and explain the situation.

/quote]

That's to bad about the slides, but nice that they contacted you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up two leather carriers that are set up for double rifles specifically from Aleko Jensen. About 95. each and man does he do nice work. I think they will work out quite nicely and the bullet tips are not exposed. If you are interested, Let me know and I will get you a phone number. He's in Utah and sometimes sort of hard to get ahold of but he's good about returning calls. These are set up pretty good.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
For the life of me, I don't know why 99% of the cartridge carriers are built with the tips covered. When using one of these types, the first thing I do is cut the bottoms off of the individual holders so that the tips stick through.

Much easier to push them up than pull them out. Especially with the big bores. This also allows you to push them in further to better secure the round into the holder. Most of the carriers with the tips covered will not securely hold the rounds. At least that's been my experience.

Here is my 500NE belt, properly modified and loaded up!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, if you try a belt like that with the 577, you'll wind up pulling your pants down :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todd, if you try a belt like that with the 577, you'll wind up pulling your pants down :-)

No doubt!! I'm looking for 8 to 10 rounds max on the 577! But the tips WILL be exposed!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to shoot so I carry two 10 round slides with my 577 or any other double. I also usually have 5 more rounds in my backpack plus 2 rounds in my pocket. Keeps me in shape toteing that weight around. I did have a 15 round slide made for both 500 and 577 to make it easier to belt up. On my recent Australia trip I used two 10 rd slides for my 500. You never have too much ammo but you can sure have too little.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:

You make the case for "belt and suspenders".

Two belt slides full and a few in the pack and I'm all set.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now, back to SELLING THE RIFLE!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the life of me, I don't know why 99% of the cartridge carriers are built with the tips covered. When using one of these types, the first thing I do is cut the bottoms off of the individual holders so that the tips stick through.

Much easier to push them up than pull them out. Especially with the big bores. This also allows you to push them in further to better secure the round into the holder. Most of the carriers with the tips covered will not securely hold the rounds. At least that's been my experience.

Here is my 500NE belt, properly modified and loaded up!

Todd,

Just pull every third round from the belt slide for ten round capacity. The open spaces will also make the rounds easier to grab.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
The 577's will not fit in these loops. I had to stretch them out to get the 500's in.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 577's will not fit in these loops. I had to stretch them out to get the 500's in.

What did you wind up using?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What did you wind up using?

Suspenders :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry, I missed that!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Doc, for now, I have a canvas culling belt that was designed for the 416 Rigby. I'm still looking around so I'm not sold on that right now. I live literally about 10 miles from Dick Murray. I was hoping to have some elephant skin back from the tannery to have a custom belt (or two ) built but it isn't back yet. I do have some buffalo leather so I may just use that for now.

Anyone had trouble with the customs guys coming back with elephant gun cases, slings, etc. I know guys are talking about putting Courtney boots on 4457's because they have serial numbers.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I like that idea too but feel te same wayabout thetroubles of elephant leather when I get mine back here. Just not worth the hassle.

If you want, I can lend you this belt slide(among the new photos in my classified add):