Notify
Tools

Rechambering an English DR?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Hi All,

I have potentially got access to a 2.5" 375 English double which I'm thinking of buying and rechambering to 375Flanged.

Has anyone got any experience of this?

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
Hi All,

I have potentially got access to a 2.5" 375 English double which I'm thinking of buying and rechambering to 375Flanged.

Has anyone got any experience of this?

Rgds,
FB

I know someone in colchester who could do that...and has the experience.
Call Arthur Smith 0044 1206 354 272..Tell him "Hi" from jens here in denmark. Arthur was he who made my .333 jeffery barrels. Arthur also makes rifled chopperlumps barrels for for leading London Gun makers.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FB

How much does that double rifle weigh?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
I have seen probably a dozen rifles that have been re chambered as you suggest. From H&H to C&H.

None of them turned out well. The .375 isn't big enough nor strong enough an action to handle the bigger case. It was undoubtedly made before the advent of the magnum cartridges and will not handle the pressure for long.

Just my opinion though. Smiler

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What you are suggesting is almost ALWAYS a bad idea.....why destory a classic old DR?

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AzGuy:
What you are suggesting is almost ALWAYS a bad idea.....why destory a classic old DR?

Agreed.

Due to the fact that not many understand the .375 2 1/2" Flanged Nitro Express, conversions to .375 Flanged Magnum have been done many times over the years. These are universally regretted today so, thankfully, they're no longer common.

The .375 2 1/2" Flanged Nitro Express was introduced as a REPLACEMENT for the .303 in the Indian market (by far the largest for the British rifle trade at that time) when the .303 was banned in India early in 1899, and was intended for the same range of game. Widely used on dangerous game, it wasn't intended for such, nor were the rifles designed to withstand the later .375 Magnum. Especially in the better quality rifles, these uninformed conversions are a pity, as the cartridge is a fine chambering in a double rifle for ordinary game as it is. Buy it anyway, but leave it alone, use it for what it was intended for, and you'll love it. Consummate big-bore fan Elmer Keith's Lancaster .375 2 1/2" double was one of his favorite hunting rifles, and he would not have been pleased had there been any flies on it. My primary hunting rifle is a double chambered for another very similar proprietary cartridge that was also designed as a .303 replacement. It's been instant death on everything I've ever shot with it, and I wouldn't be without it.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote