THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Another question about British doubles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another question about British doubles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Howdy again Gents.

Okay as far as quality, reputation, investment value, etc. if the rifles were all the same price more or less, in more or less the same condition (excellent bores), in .470 or .475 or thereabouts, how would you rank (1) Lang & Son, (2) Chas. Lancaster, (3) Watson Bros., (4) Army & Navy, (5) others. I'm a lot more familiar with the big names like Wm. Evans, Westley Richards, Jeffery, H&H, and so on.

I would intend to use the rifle in Zimbabwe next year so I'm not looking for a wall hanger. Should a guy avoid refinished rifles or is it not that big a deal?

Thanks!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 out of the 4 of those names listed would likely to have used Webley actions for a 470.

But, reagrdless of that, I would take any of them.

Refinished guns are fine as long as they have been done correctly IMHO.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Many times you'll see a name on the rifle that is actually the retailer of it. NOT the builder. My A. Hollis was built by Lenord, but A Hollis did buid them also.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
PSmith:
The makers you mentioned are all equal in my eyes as to quality. It would come down to price, accuracy, and if the rifle fit me.

As to a refinish, that is not a problem with an English rifle or gun as it is with a Winchester or Colt. The UK's sportsmen sent their arms back to the maker for a refinish after a year's shooting. I would only recommend the refinish done by a quality 'smith (such as Griffin and Howe) and only to the original specifications--nothing added.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote