THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Difference in 28 gauge vs 20 gauge action size?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difference in 28 gauge vs 20 gauge action size?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

Im just curious as to the differences in size between the correctly scaled actions for these two gauges. Can anyone who owns these two gauges be kind enough to post some pictures of them side by side so I can see the relative differences. A shot looking toward the standing breech with both gauges next two each other would be great!

Any input appreciated, thanks.

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Matabele - here you go. The action on the left is an AyA #2 round action sidelock in 28 gauge. The one on the right is a Connecticut Shotgun 20 gauge boxlock action.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Many 28ga guns are built on the same action that companies use for 20ga guns. Some companies even use the 20ga action for their .410 shotguns. But a properly sized 28ga action is significantly smaller and lighter than the same type of action for a 20ga.

While a typical 20ga gun weighs on the order of 6 pounds, the same gun in a true 28ga size would weigh on the order of 5 pounds.

Many people refer to these smaller actioned guns as "baby frame" guns. Search the internet and/or your favorite online gun sources for "baby frame".

These are not my guns. I found this picture on the internet. From top down - 28ga, 20ga, 12ga:

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The correct way is to measure the distance between the firing pin holes, many 28ga guns are made on a 20ga frame with the fences reduced to met the contour of the smaller barrels. On a true 28ga frame the distance between the firing pin holes will be slightly closer.
If properly done the frame and fences will be reduced in size and it will be not easy to see (from the same maker) that it is a 28ga gun built on a 20 frame without measuring the distance of the pins on both a 20ga and 28ga gun as a comparison.
On inexpensive guns the barrels on a 28ga gun built on a 20ga frame will have very thick barrel barrels at the breech as it is easier to make the barrels thicker than to re contour the fences. The worst example that comes to mind were some of the single shot 410 guns built on a 20ga frame

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys, and the pic sub appreciate it! Sub could you do me a favour and measure the distance from the side of each fence across the firing pin holes for each gauge, when you get a chance? It also looks like the water table is narrower and shorter for the 28, could you measure each and let me know those figures too? Thanks!

It doesnt look like a huge difference between the two but as Grenadier pointed out a pound difference is pretty significant.

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matabele:
Thanks for the replies guys, and the pic sub appreciate it! Sub could you do me a favour and measure the distance from the side of each fence across the firing pin holes for each gauge, when you get a chance? It also looks like the water table is narrower and shorter for the 28, could you measure each and let me know those figures too? Thanks!

It doesn't look like a huge difference between the two but as Grenadier pointed out a pound difference is pretty significant.

Matabele - the distances are as follows:

Distance across fences:
- 20 Ga - 2 inches
- 28 Ga - 1 13/16 inches

Distance between center lines of firing pin holes:

- 20 Ga - just a hair under 1 inch
- 28 Ga - 7/8 inches

I hope this helps!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That does help, thanks for putting that info down sub! Im heading off to a gun auction tomorrow with some friends, will be keeping my fingers crossed for a nice 28!!