THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    450 31/4 Factory Ammo from Hornady
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 31/4 Factory Ammo from Hornady
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted
Just a quick update spoke with the factory today and it looks like late August to Early September for the release of the new ammo. I believe this is what Butch is using to regulate my new double so I will have to find out the new delivery date...Just a heads up for anyone in the same boat Confused

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Highbrass:
Just a quick update spoke with the factory today and it looks like late August to Early September for the release of the new ammo. I believe this is what Butch is using to regulate my new double so I will have to find out the new delivery date...Just a heads up for anyone in the same boat Confused

Great Cartridge!!!

Nice from Hornady to produce factory ammo!

Will they offer brass for reloading, too?

I found two loads for my .450 Ne 3,25 with 500gr A-Frame and 500gr GS-solids! They shoot together with nearly 2250 feet/s out of my Heym!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully it will shoot in most guns and it probably will, but I am betting the velocity, when chronographed, will be cooking at about 2000 FPS and most of those guns are probably regulated for about 2200 FPS..Guess we'll see.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old English rifles truly built with

FAST regulation velocity of 2200 FPS,

with bbls LESS THAN 28 INCHES, is NOT

very probable according to ALL I've read.

I'll bet even 28's only give a true

vel. of 2150 at best. Let's see what hap-

pens as guys get a chance to chrono this

ammo in rifles with various bbl lengths.

I'm looking forward to what HORNADY will

do for MY caliber too!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
Kevin Robertson put out chronograph results on several rounds of original Kynoch ammunition, I believe in 470 and 505 and almost with out exception the velocity was a couple of hundred FPS off of published performance figures from the mfg...

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to have a log, lost when I moved last July, that listed actual velocity of modern loads that shot to regualtion in double rifles.

Most NE cartridges were far from "nominal" velocities, but the two that were closest on average, and more than a few rifles shot to nominal velocity, were the 450NE 3 1/4" and the 450NE No2.

FYI, the 470 shot about 75fps slower on average (for vintage rifles) than the nominal 2125fps, with modern rifles shooting generally faster, many faster than nominal velocity.

Most others were ~100+/- slower, with the 450/400 3 1/4" also running closer to nmunal than most.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All ammo usually clocks considerably less than advertised, its an age old manufacturers trick! shocker

As to your question, yes both ammo and brass is being produced...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray the contradictions astound as, ussual. There is no reasonable way to read your two post that doesn't highlight the contadictions and emphasize your problem.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Be nice.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
random update, Butch called Hornady this week and they are still pushing for a release at the end of July early August which is better than they had told me earlier in May. This should mean new Brass available and for me a new double before Christmas...

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Highbrass , I don't think the release of the new ammo will effect your delivery date from Butch, because I'm sure the ammo is being released to the trade, just not to the public yet! The new Heym 450/400NE 3" PH model was regulated with the Hornady ammo a year ago or more! I'm sure Butch is getting his needed ammo to regulate his new rifles! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mac, I can't remember if anticipation is supposed to be half the fun or half the tourment. I know butch is on top of it and he could regulate with ammo from superior or another specialty shop but with the Hornady ammo projected to come in at 1/2 the price a month here or there will not matter.

We are watching the Zim political climate right now and maybe forced to change locations for 2009 and for me species... will pull the bull elephant out of my means...

Fingers are crossed.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Mac, I can't remember if anticipation is supposed to be half the fun or half the tourment. I know butch is on top of it and he could regulate with ammo from superior or another specialty shop but with the Hornady ammo projected to come in at 1/2 the price a month here or there will not matter.

We are watching the Zim political climate right now and maybe forced to change locations for 2009 and for me species... will pull the bull elephant out of my means...

Fingers are crossed.

Highbrass, good luck on your ele hunt coming off without a problem! That would be bad for it to go south at the last minute.

On the ammo, I'd far rather have the Hornady ammo than anything put together by Superior thumbdown As to the ammo coming in at a velocity that is under advertized is not something to worry about, that is always true of all factory ammo, because the factories use 30" test barrels. This isn't a problem, because the doubles with 24-26" barrels are regulated to the same ammo, and shoot fine. The ele bull is not going to know the difference when he's hit by the bullet! thumb

When do you leave for your safari? If things do go south, then do a couple buffalo, and maybe a hippo on land, as an alternitive, maybe in the Caprivi strip, or Luangwa Valley!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
MacD37
Thanks for the information, it is great to have a forum for those who have been there and done that....

We are scheduled right now for July 1-18 in Zim, hunting Shanghani for the Ele and Lemco for everything else... If it goes South that may very well be a great option, we are also condiering Mozambique for a Buff hunt as well. I hunted the Omay July 07 and took a nice buff and became hooked on trying for the elephant just being around them was awe inspiring... We have 5 guys with a pretty good mixed bag but 4 of the guys primary is Buff so if Zim is out that will be the driver...

Thanks again for the help!