New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who has owned and shot 375 H&H doubles ? If so have any problems been encountered. I would also like to hear from anyone who has owned & used other rimless calibers ? A poll would be great to find out just how often problems are encountered.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Never owned one but have shot both a HEYM and Chapuis double in 375 H&H. There are a lot of opinions on why rimless cases don’t make sense and I tend to believe several are valid. Having said this the biggest drawback IMO is the fact that you have to pluck the empty shell out of the chamber rather than let them fall out or eject. Not sure if anyone makes ejectors for these cases or not, if so that may solve the problem. I would buy one if the price was right but I doubt I would purposely buy one if the choice was there for a rimmed cartridge.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkel in 375H&H.

Plucking the case out is the only way to do it
so I doubt I would use it where the potential
for a charge is likely but other game, no problems.

i like it as a cheaper end, scoped double.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the longe range accuracy on the merkel ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure, but I whacked a fox at 90 yards and wouldn't hesitate
to whack one - or at least have a go - out to 150 yards.

My rifle shoots pretty well out to 100 yards and i can't see why
it wouldn't do it past this.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I've shot and hunted with a double rifle .375 h&h and have had no problems so far. My doubles and other break action guns run about half& half on rimless vs rimmed.
It makes all the since in the world to me that a rimmed case will be more relieable on extration but so far I've never had a single failure with my rimless or belted cases in a double or other break action rifle.
The ejectors on my .338 double shoot the cases over my shoulder so I'm not sure what the question is with ejectors on a .375.
I have a .338 double rifle a .222 bbf and a 30-06 drilling all work as well as my rimmed guns (so far).

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a 458wm double (Marcel Thys sidelock) and a 375H&H double (A&S Farmars sidelock.)

Both rifles have ejectors which throw spent cases WELL clear, especially the 458wm.

I haven't shot the 375H&H much becuase it is being changed to accomodate this lefty and also having scope mounts installed, but no problem the little that I have shot it.

I have shot the 458wm a lot, more than 800 round. No problems ever with extraction of ejection. With it, I've killed 18 elephants, 4 cape buffalo, 1 zebra, 1 klipspringer and 1 baboon, mecy killed because he was stuck in a snare.

The 458wm shoots 500gr Woodleigh solids at 2145fps and 450gr North Fork flat nose solids at 2220fps. After the 800 rounds, the rifle remains on face and bankvault tight. Something I've done with the 458wm which likely can't be done with a NE round is hunt elephants with barrowed ammo - 458wm ammo is ubiquitous!

Remember, a 458wm can be easily rechambered to 450NE 3 1/4" if it ever has extraction or ejection issues the result of the rimless round, but the 375H&H cannot be rechambered to 375 Flanged Mag because the H&H shoulder is further forward, and other issues as well...

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
...the 375H&H cannot be rechambered to 375 Flanged Mag because
the H&H shoulder is further forward, and other issues as well...

We ought to start a MOVEMENT to use HORNADY'S 450/400 3" brass

as a way to rechamber 375 H&H rifles to a flanged caliber! Neck down

the HORNADY brass to properly hold the .375 bullet, have that bullet

heavy enough to give a sectional density of .335 - .345, establish a

load that gives 2150 FPS MV through 26" bbls with acceptable dbl rifle

pressure and I think we'll have a winner!!! Anyone out there ready to

make this happen?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a Heym in 375 H&H at one time, had zero problems, ejected cases everytime, wouldn't be concerned about this round in a modern DR. In fact I'm shopping for another.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 450/375 3" Jack....hmmmm....can't say that it doesn't have a bit of ring to it! Big Grin

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote