THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Practice Loads for Double Rifles?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Practice Loads for Double Rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the 70's Elmer Keith gave me the 75% rule but he may have gotten it from Ross as they were close friends.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
In any event all double rifle owners should be happy that someone found it!
............................................................................ old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
Back in the 70's Elmer Keith gave me the 75% rule but he may have gotten it from Ross as they were close friends.

465H&H

That just may be where I read that it was Ross, because I used to read everything Elmer wrote. So that would connect!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Wow, I thought the 75% rule was the brain child of Tony, aka NE 450 No2.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't Elmer have started before Ross ?

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
Wow, I thought the 75% rule was the brain child of Tony, aka NE 450 No2.

Tony may have re-discovered it, but he certainly wasn't the first! However Tony has probably done more work with the 75% rule in different calibers than anyone here on AR, so certainly knows of which he speaks on the subject! His extensive experiments with the 75% rule and posts here on the subject may be why most think he was the descoveror of the 75% rule. In any event just about anything Tony tells you about double rifles and loading for them you can take to the bank because he knows what he's talking about!

........................................................................................... old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Due to our firearms laws in England I am not allowed to fire an 'expading Missile' from my 9.3X74R Laurona double rifle, not even at Bisley... No one loads an Fmj round (you can get 9.3X62 Fmj factory ammo ) so to practice here I reload using Norma 232 grain (.365" part # 69306) fmj bullets and RL-15. The charge is the same as my boar hunt load (in France),where I use 286 gr Nosler 'Partition' bullets.Will try dacron filler, my puppy has just field dressed my daughter's snoopy toy (he's lost some weight, I can tell you..snoopy that is
),is that white fluff Dacron ?

Posts: 27 | Location: Hertfordshire, U.K. | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd Williams:
PM coming at ya

- Ryan

DRSS
NRA Life Member
.500 NE Sabatti

Posts: 40 | Location: Boulder City, NV | Registered: 19 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rosswaybarney:
Due to our firearms laws in England I am not allowed to fire an 'expading Missile' from my 9.3X74R Laurona double rifle, not even at Bisley...

This only applies if you don't have the rifle listed on your firearm certificate for hunting in the UK.

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your right there Jabali, but as I have a 6.5X55 Swedish sporting rifle, that will do everything I need for use in England. I am with Hertfordshire police and they have been brilliant to me, as have built some 'projects' in the past.The next stage is an RFD certificate. My mate Martin had a .375 H&H for european boar and a trip to Africa, his only rifle, and he could not zero with 'expanding' ammo, and he was a policeman... mind you if he had put red deer culling in Scotland on his application he would have been o.k. If you play a 'strait bat' the police are fine...

Posts: 27 | Location: Hertfordshire, U.K. | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote