THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Sabatti Double owners and those familiar with them.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sabatti Double owners and those familiar with them.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted
Now that several of you have purchased a Sabatti Double in the 450/400 and larger calibers; I'm curious as to what your impression of the quality of the gun is.

As well, I'm interested in your opinion of what the durability of the gun may be? Butch Searcy has talked of his guns being able to shoot thousands of rounds and I believe that as I've owned one. Also that one or more of the VC owners having shot a 450/400 at or over 6000 rounds.

I'm just curious as to what you all think the Sabatti will be capable of, in the neighborhood of 1000, 2500, 5000 or more? I know some of this is subjective but just asking for honest evaluation based on a variety of you all shooting them and your experience with other brands of double rifles.

I appreciate all of your input and discussion.

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fit and finish on mine is about the same quality as the two new Chapuis' I have owned. The Sabatti shoots a lot better for me than either of those, but that is surely subjective. I love shooting my Sabatti, the feel is perfect for me, and the regulation is dead on. As to longevity, I don't have enough experience with double rifles to comment, but having shot the living crap out of a number of other shotguns and rifles, I would bet it will last longer than me. I'll check in in a few years and report!
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rich,

I see there is not much enthusiasm in repying to my inquiry. I'm not trying to stir anything up here and I know they are fairly new on the market but I'm just looking for some...opinions I guess.

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There have been a number of discussions here in the last month or two. It seems that most are quite pleased with their purchases, particularly in light of the cost of alternatives and what you get for your money. That is just my read on it, but I am quite biased of course.

Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
It is a little tough to comment on durability when the darn things have only been out a few months. I think the prior threads have consistently indicated that, for the price, the fit and finish is good, accuracy is good, triggers need work, wood varies from rifle to rifle and no one is experiencing significant operational issues so far.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
It is a little tough to comment on durability when the darn things have only been out a few months. I think the prior threads have consistently indicated that, for the price, the fit and finish is good, accuracy is good, triggers need work, wood varies from rifle to rifle and no one is experiencing significant operational issues so far.

Oh, come on. 500Fan will not be satisfied until you have shot 72,391 rounds through your .450 NE without a hitch. You are quite inconsiderate and unfeeling. Just because 500Fan will most likely wind up buying a Savage BA instead does not matter. And make sure that it is all factory ammo while you're at it. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19367 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll play. Approx. 120 factory rounds throught my .450NE and still working perfectly.

I too will report back in a few years when I have shot it a few thousand times and have some pics of dead animals to go with it!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

Oh, come on. 500Fan will not be satisfied until you have shot 72,391 rounds through your .450 NE without a hitch. You are quite inconsiderate and unfeeling. Just because 500Fan will most likely wind up buying a Savage BA instead does not matter. And make sure that it is all factory ammo while you're at it. Smiler

. . . just another 72,354 to go.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
JCS: How does your Sabatti handle the recoil from the .450s? I'm sure interested in these rifles -- either .450/400 or .450 NE.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
JJ Perodeau at Champlin has received two Sabatti 500NE to work over. They are mine and my hunting partners new rifles and neither has been fired. They are the first JJ has to examine and we will post opinions in 4-6 weeks.

I exchanged my original Sabatti through Cabela's after firing 12 rounds; no problems but regulation wasn't so good - regulated with Kynoch. The new one was regulated with Hornady.

JJ will do the following:
Trigger job to 4# front & 5# back - over 7# as rcvd
Replace recoil pad - original is a POS
Install Mercury recoil reducer - 9.5# is too light for the 470 & 500s
File front sight to 45 degrees

I think these are minimum changes needed in the large bores - 470 & 500 Sabatti. My plan is to instal an EOTech holographic sight.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Bill, my .450NE handles the recoil just fine.

I on the other hand found that a Limbsaver recoil pad placed where the skinny little hard rubber red one used to be helps a LOT!

Love the rifle but the factory pad had to go.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
JCS: I've foudn Limsavers to be lifesavers on a number of big bores. Thanks for the reply.
Bill

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote