New
Find
Notify
Tools

Add $30000...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Don`t worry about vintage doublerifles loosing value. Just push your luck and add aprox 50% and you´ll be allright.

This double here costed $65K on this page.
http://www.ospreyarms.com/prod...00-cal-double-rifle/

Now it has increased in value..:LOL

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100913728

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's Lewis Drake....just add 50%.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Consider the seller...
Drake’s price would be about right if the rifle were not restocked and blacked (and in +++condition)
Osprey’s price is more in line for that rifle but these days, maybe that’s not right either...
600s do have a certain panache though...

Posts: 3318 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I've known this rifle for years.
The top end dealers have the cusomers to buy. I mean, look at CT Shtogun and what they ask!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with any dealer trying to make a profit. 50% is reasonable. Value is subjective.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5236 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 450/400 WR at Osprey is a nice rifle, just think I'd eat a lot of $$ the day I bought it.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Huvius:
Consider the seller...
Drake’s price would be about right if the rifle were not restocked and blacked (and in +++condition)
Osprey’s price is more in line for that rifle ]

** Where is the problem with a gun that has been restored ??

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with a gun that has been restored but the price will surely not be what a high condition original rifle would bring.
This gun, IMO, was refinished to a non original specification. Never seen a Webley screw grip action from any maker that was blacked.

Posts: 3318 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Understand and agree with your observations...
For the sake of discussion if a London Best say a H&H Royal pre war 500/465 is sent back to Holland to have all metal re-done, stock re-finished checkering re-cut action stripped and cleaned any springs replaced if needed. Should that demand more or less of a price than one of the same vintage that has been gently used.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
rifles, cars and watches. they will fetch the highest price old, never shot, driven or worn.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Refinishing a mod. 70 pre 64 destroys value, same for some bolt Mausers and American made guns, particularly Winchesters.....

That said, it was very common for the Brits and others such as PHs to refinish their doubles every year after a hunting season, so many have been refinished nemorous times...It has not hurt their value at all in many cases Im aware off....Im sure it would to some folks, but the collectors and avid double rifle clan, don't seem to mind if the refinish comes with a letter from the maker such as H&H, Wesley Richards, Army Navy, Jefferys, and others..I sold two of my beautifull Jefferys for $13,000 and $16,000 and they had been refinished several times before I got them, they looked new and came with a letter, It would take an expert to tell they had been redone on the metal, the wood was too nice to have not been refinished.. Roll Eyes the brits are not the best on wood IMO.

The world of doubles is different for sure in a lot of ways.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote