THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    I have only handled a couple of doubles...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have only handled a couple of doubles...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
I read this group of threads every once in a while, and enjoy it each time.
I've not seen or heard of a stainless double rifle.
Does any one make one?

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Searcy did at one time make a stainless/composite rifle. I think he said that he never would again. That is the only one I know of.

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stainless just isn't right for a double rifle.

I think it would remind me of the Browning A-5 that had a composite stock and dull matte finish. Wrong ... just plain wrong IMHO.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sid Post:

I think it would remind me of the Browning A-5 that had a composite stock and dull matte finish. Wrong ... just plain wrong IMHO.

Unless you guided for brown bears in Alaska for a living and wanted a rifle to follow up a wounded bear in thick cover.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought that Searcy's doubles were all on a Stainless action, is that wrong? If it is, I know that he once made them from stainless, so when was that, and when did he quit?

Posts: 121 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:
Originally posted by Sid Post:

Unless you guided for brown bears in Alaska for a living and wanted a rifle to follow up a wounded bear in thick cover.

How many professional guides in Alaska want a double rifle? That's a pretty small market segment but, with a bespoke double anything is possible I guess. Then again, when I think about Alaska, it generally doesn't include a double rifle. Lighter and handier are what I would want and that looks a lot like a 458B&M with an 18" barrel but, what do I know (never been to Alaska so, I'll defer to those more experienced)?

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
There's more doubles here than you suspect Sid..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doubleriflejack:
I thought that Searcy's doubles were all on a Stainless action, is that wrong? If it is, I know that he once made them from stainless, so when was that, and when did he quit?

I don't think you can color stainless?

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
There's more doubles here than you suspect Sid..

You own most of them!

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
LMAO,,, Not hardly!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:

Cera Coat, etc. Plenty of options and the finishes can look pretty good these days.

Posts: 426 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Sid Post

quote:
How many professional guides in Alaska want a double rifle? That's a pretty small market segment but, with a bespoke double anything is possible I guess. Then again, when I think about Alaska, it generally doesn't include a double rifle. Lighter and handier are what I would want and that looks a lot like a 458B&M with an 18" barrel but, what do I know (never been to Alaska so, I'll defer to those more experienced)?

Whats wrong with this?

Or This?

I agree traditionally (and doubles are all about tradition) hunters don't use double rifles for bear but they do work quite well.

BTW FYI Jagdwaffen Fuchs in Innsbruch makes a all stainless bespoke double rifle.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Ferlach gunmaker did a big-bore a few years ago. Perhaps Fuchs or Fanzoj. I think it was marketed for just south of $100K or so.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_500:
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:

Cera Coat, etc. Plenty of options and the finishes can look pretty good these days.

I know Searcy does make a stainless action. The question was if all his actions were stainless. I was pointing out that I am pretty sure you can't case color stainless. Searcy sells rifles that are colored meaning that I don't think they are all stainless.

Mac

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I believe I recall Mr Searcy saying on here that he made a few in stainless years ago and he won't do it again. Call/write an email to him to confirm this.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote: