New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel ejectors
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone here know if Merkel will convert their extractor guns to ejector? I would imagine there will be a brisk market for the conversion... if it is at a reasonable cost. I sold a Merkel .470,four years ago, and bought a Heym (sweet, sweet double) because I called Merkel and they wouldn't discuss such a conversion.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they will now, but there are a lot better ways of spending $1000.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merkel isn't "converting" any existing guns that I know of. Tomo577 and his gunsmith offer it with Merkel factory 12 gauge parts and yes it'll run you a cool grand. I'd do it only if I found a 500 NE for no more than $6500 putting me at $7500 in the gun. A $6500 gun would certainly be well used. Otherwise buy a new gun with kickers.

Merkel will begin to ship factory guns manufactured with ejectors. It's my understanding that Merkel will no longer make extractor guns. This is probably not true but it's what I was told by Pete Yates at GSI. What it likely really means is that GSI will no longer order, import and sell ejector guns. See 400 Nitro Express, I'm learning! Can't stand it that they double the price of their guns at retail.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Which is it, ejectors or extractors?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Which is it, ejectors or extractors?
Confused

Yes. Wink

I corrected my typo. Smiler

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SHOWBART Confused

why a Merkel double rifle ?

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't go to the trouble, or expence to install ejectors on my Merkel 140-2 Safari 470NE, but if it had been factory fitted for them I still would have bought it! The ejectors are easy to disable, makeing them extractors, but when it's time to sell the ejectors make the rifle easier to sell. I can live with or without them, but they are a deal breaker selling point, if they aren't there sometimes! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote