New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I used a "primer pocket uniformer" on several peices of 470 brass and made the primer pocket a bit too deep. I can just detect it with a finger.

Is this a (potential) problem??

Brett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you are ok. The one I use (Sinclair) is made so it only cuts to one uniform depth. The seated primers should be below the surface of the brass. Did you debur the flash hole?
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill,

Yes I did debur the flash holes but none really needed it, Norma brass.

Brett

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't waste my time doing that on a double..Its a 50 yard gun for the most part and bench rest practices are just not required nor even needed....trim the brass with a RCBS Case Trim so that your crimps will be uniform..I don't recommend a rotory case trimmer for this as they are just not that accurate...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett:
Is this a (potential) problem??
Brett

The only great danger is a primer sitting too deep not igniting and letting the elephant trample a beautifull .470 double rifle Smiler

Posts: 54 | Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil | Registered: 08 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Listen to Ray. All you need is to have that primer the tiniest bit inset into the pocket. You can eyeball that.

I don't even crimp rounds for a double but do make sure that I've got as close to a quarter of an inch of bullet seated into the neck as possible.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Ddouble to the forum. Could you put your location in your profile.
The process I use is to trim all the cases to the same length before loading. This does a couple of things. You have all your cases the same length so you get a uniform crimp and the case mouths are square which may help accuracy. Always be sure your expander is small enough to give a good tight fit when you seat the bullet. I think this is more important than the crimp for constant velocity. I haven’t seen but have been told of cases where crimping (on bullets with or without a canella) would not stop the bullets from moving under recoil when there is not enough neck tension. You should chamfer the inside of the case mouth to make it easier to seat the bullet. I also ream the flash hole and remove the burr on the inside of the flash hole.
I do tend to agree with Ray that a lot of this isn’t really necessary but I do it anyway. Just to elaborate on the crimping issue I only crimp enough to straiten the case out. You should have at least .005 in case tension.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Cooley:
I haven’t seen but have been told of cases where crimping (on bullets with or without a canella) would not stop the bullets from moving under recoil when there is not enough neck tension.

That's true. I had that problem with two rifles, .400 and .470, with cases sized using the expander that came with the dies and bullets seated with a heavy crimp. After 2 or 3 rounds from the right only, the bullets in the left were jumping the crimp. This was with jacketed bullets with a crimp groove. Not having a way of turning down the expander handy, I removed it entirely and sized without it. Thinking that better neck tension alone might do the trick, I seated the bullets without crimping, and the problem went away. That was close on 20 years ago, and I've not used an expander or crimped when loading DR ammo since, and have never had the problem again. With inadequate neck tension, crimping alone won't prevent bullet movement. With good neck tension, crimping isn't necessary in a double.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote