THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Do you ever lubricate the interior of your sidelock?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you ever lubricate the interior of your sidelock?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
Most of my guns get periodic interior cleaning as well as the normal exterior attention...but I've never given any attention to the interior of my sidelock double rifle.... What kind of maintenance should I be doing there?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When I get a new sidelock I take it to my gunmaker for a check. He will pull the locks and inspect them. On a new gun we just lightly lubricate and reinstall. On a used or older gun he will disassemble the lockwork if there is dried oil or grease, clean and remove any dired lubricants and polish any old rust and with fresh lubricant, reassemble. Few drops of a quality gun oil and I'm good to go for several years unless it get really wet in the field. Then He'll pull the locks and trigger bar and dry and relubricate. Assemble when thourghly dry. That's all I have done to my sidelocks.

Posts: 65 | Location: West Bend, WI. | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Vic - IMO, any fine gun (boxlock or sidelock) is like a nice watch: They both need a periodic "strip and clean." How frequently will vary with how the gun is used, weather, climate, etc...

Just like a fine watch though, I would recommed you have someone do this for you that understands what they're working on.

It should run you about $100-$150, but there are only a few individuals that I would let do the work.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375ej:
When I get a new sidelock I take it to my gunmaker for a check. He will pull the locks and inspect them. On a new gun we just lightly lubricate and reinstall. On a used or older gun he will disassemble the lockwork if there is dried oil or grease, clean and remove any dired lubricants and polish any old rust and with fresh lubricant, reassemble. Few drops of a quality gun oil and I'm good to go for several years unless it get really wet in the field. Then He'll pull the locks and trigger bar and dry and relubricate. Assemble when thourghly dry. That's all I have done to my sidelocks.

This is about my routine too.

For hand detachable locks,if the get wet I'll take them off right away.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mine are hand detach so yes they do come off after a couple trips to the range or after a hunt and get cleaned and a few drops of breakfree here and there

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote