THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    NORTH FORKS....WOW. ADDED RESULTS!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NORTH FORKS....WOW. ADDED RESULTS!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
Gents: I decided to give North Forks 450gr solids and softs a try, suffice to say I am pleased. I think I need to dial down the speed though.

Solids @ 40:

And softs & solids at 50:

Velocity was 2183 qith 100gr H-4831. I think I'll dial it down to 98grains and see what happens. Thoughts?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Thoughts????? I think I will copy down your load and save it for when my V-C Imperial in 450 3 ¼ arrives in a month or so. Where did you purchase your North Fork bullets? I have never used them.

Nice shooting Jorge!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Admiral, Midway USA sells them or I just buy them straight from North Fork. Looking forward to your pictures of the new rifle!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting!! I would like to try some in my VC-450

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Admiral, Midway USA sells them or I just buy them straight from North Fork. Looking forward to your pictures of the new rifle!

Thanks Jorge - I will post photos once I take delivery from Ken.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting the North Fork 570gr solids in my VC 500NE. Between the North Fork and CEBs, the NFs solids shoot the best in my gun. I'm using the light for caliber 475gr CEB Safari Raptors (non-cons) at 2,415fps for my "softs" however as they print best, with the added benefit of extra energy at that speed.

I'll be using the North Forks on my ele bull hunt in a few days. By all reports, they are great performers.

Nice shooting Jorge! I think you've found the load combo for your rifle!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

If you slow the loads down,
they will diverge and shoot higher at the same ranges you have shown,
unless you are already past crossing. Wink

Not much room for fine tuning your excellent results.

But your solids are shooting higher than the softs, and overall everything is a little more to the right than to the center.

So maybe just speed up the solid (it will shoot lower), and drift the rear sight to the left a hair.

Or maybe just getting back on the Twinkies will fix it all after a while. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Rip: The left barrel is the higher one on the solids. What you say makes sense. That said I've loaded some down to 98 grains and will report back once my cheek recovers. Off to get some apple pie...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge

Having shot and used the the NF FPS and CP in my 450 3 1/4" I wouldn't change a thing. My rifle liked both the 450gr. and 500 grain versions. I like the few extra FPS of gain when the loads regulate. Additional gain was more uniform neck tension than I had experianced with the CEB bullets. My rifle liked the IMR version of 4831 better with these bullets. Works good on tuskless.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HBH:
jorge

Having shot and used the the NF FPS and CP in my 450 3 1/4" I wouldn't change a thing. My rifle liked both the 450gr. and 500 grain versions. I like the few extra FPS of gain when the loads regulate. Additional gain was more uniform neck tension than I had experianced with the CEB bullets. My rifle liked the IMR version of 4831 better with these bullets. Works good on tuskless.

I just finished hunting tuskless with Martin Pieters,used a o/u DR 458 Lott,450 NF FNS @ 2250,one shot is all it took,shoulder shot,no bullet recovered.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Been shooting them for years! http://forums.accuratereloadin...811086231#4811086231

Killed a couple of Buff with them.

My DR won't regulate them however. But CEB's regulate fine. They (NF's) are one of my favorite bullets.

NFMike (Mike Brady and the originator of NF bullets) taught me a lot of what I know about reloading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Just returned and the North Forks seem to be getting it done men. Very windy and misty, so I cheated and started at 35 yards in order to get better aimpoint fidelity.

North Fork Soft:

I slowed down the solids and that seemed to improve them:

Feeling uppity so I gave my last two solids a shot at fifty:

Solids were loaded with 98gr H-4831 (note, just a two grain reduction resulted in 70 fps velocity loss!) and the softs with 100gr.

These North Forks seem to have hit the mark spot on. Now of course I have a shitload of Woodleighs and CEBs that also shoot well, not to mention a whole bunch of Hornady Factory stuff. Anybody want to buy the Hornadys? Make me an offer I can't refuse Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Very good shooting Jorge! You're ready for safari!

About those Hornadays ... Pagosawingnut is sending me his S2 Blaser "thingy" for disposal. I've got a junk collector ready to take it. I could probably get him to take the Hornadays as well. Probably even the Woodleighs!

sofa

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Let me know. I probably have six or eight boxes of the Hornadys, softs and solids. The Woodleighs I'll probably keep as I think when all is said and done they are effective, especially the softs. I also have a few boxes of CEBs if anybody's interested.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

About those Hornadays ... Pagosawingnut is sending me his S2 Blaser "thingy" for disposal. I've got a junk collector ready to take it. I could probably get him to take the Hornadays as well. Probably even the Woodleighs!
sofa

Todd

He can't take any more, he's already full up with Blasers, Push feed BA Rifles, Lever Action 45/70's, Sabatti's, CEBs and Hornady DGX's !!!

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

That is a good job. Whatever trouble you went through to find the load, it was worth it.

I'll also vouch for Jorge as a seller. I have his 450 Dakota brass and dies, including a custom Lee Factory Crimp die.
But I'll have to pass on his factory 450 NE ammo.

I have a lifetime supply of 450 NE brass and North Fork 450-grain bullets that work well for me in any .458.

Now that Jorge has lost all that weight and his blood pressure is down, his G-tolerance in a tight turn is not going to be so good.
But maybe he won't have a stroke if I ask whether he ever got any satisfaction in the case of the deadbeat 450 Dakota custom rifle builder?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks RIP but sadly, I'm out of the high "G" bidness Frowner

On the Hein issue, yes we did/have but until we arrive at FULL satisfaction, I'll refrain from posting the story.

PS: Never had any BP issues! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

On the Hein issue, yes we did/have but until we arrive at FULL satisfaction, I'll refrain from posting the story.

Not sure you can get too high of a "G" force out of a jet with windshield wipers! sofa

But I would have never spoken ill of the Hoover! Might have needed some gas on occasion back in the day! patriot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

sofa
bsflag
I was fibbing Todd! I was afraid that you'd put a scope on it. Then I'd never get it back from you. hilbily

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice shooting Jorge.
And Todd is right, those hornady's will make good practice ammo Big Grin

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
quote:

sofa
bsflag
I was fibbing Todd! I was afraid that you'd put a scope on it. Then I'd never get it back from you. hilbily

WHAT? You're not sending it after all? Frowner OK, I'll have to call the scrap buyer and tell him I no longer owe him a favor. He really didn't know what to do with it. Said something about razorblades or something.

I suppose we could run those Hornadays or Woodleighs through it and see how long it takes the barrels to separate due to excessive barrel strain and OSR! Oh, wait, I just remembered. On the S2 double rifle (and I use that term loosely Wink) the barrels aren't attached to each other anyway. Something about a windshield wiper blade (hey that's popped up twice now) covering the gape between the tubes. Oh, I've got to get off this subject of Blaser rifles. All of a sudden ... I'm ... not .... feeling .... barf. That's better!

jumping

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG Jorge! I'd call those "Minute of Buffalo"!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not sure you can get too high of a "G" force out of a jet with windshield wipers! sofa

But I would have never spoken ill of the Hoover! Might have needed some gas on occasion back in the day! patriot

3.5 all day baby! Smiler But in a T-2 I did pull 7.2 whilst simulating a "SAM BREAK". You should have seen all the rivets popped in the empennage! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Jorge:

I'm due to receive my Searcy .450 N.E., long bar, round action before long. (Butch called to tell me that the action has been mated to the barrels and he's starting the wood work this week.) It'll be regulated with store bought Hornady ammo.... so, when I bring it down to see you, I'll buy a box or two of the factory stuff (and use the softs for Camden County pigs).

BTW, I had supper with Dale and Chrissy last night. When Sandy and I turned into their drive, a huge, very pregnant, coal-black sow was in the road and just standing there for 30 seconds or so. I think if we'd waited a bit, she'd have had the piggies right in front of us. More Nitro Express fodder for us!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Howdy Ernest! My best to Dale & Chrissy! haven't seen them in a long time. Let me know on the ammo, I'll sell it to you cheap!. Man, it seems EVERYBODY's seeing hogs but me. Even went to one of my employee's hunting camp outside of Folkston. Lots of deer, but no hogs! lots of sign but no hogs!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

3.5 all day baby! Smiler But in a T-2 I did pull 7.2 whilst simulating a "SAM BREAK". You should have seen all the rivets popped in the empennage! Smiler

I popped a few rivets in my day as well! Mostly teaching in the TA-4J with students on their first or second Weps hop. Fun days those were, eh?

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
:::SIGH:::. Even MORE fun were the two-seat F-16Ns at Top Gun. Man, you could pull G on those all day long!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge - why did you use 450gn and not 480gn?

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
North Fork does not make a 480 and I had great luck with the CEB 450s as I was able to drive them faster and thus they grouped closer together....in most instances. NF makes a 500 gr 458 but I figured I'd go faster than slower.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me know. I probably have six or eight boxes of the Hornadys, softs and solids. The Woodleighs I'll probably keep as I think when all is said and done they are effective, especially the softs. I also have a few boxes of CEBs if anybody's interested.

I would be interested in the CEB. Let me know

Posts: 761 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
North Fork does not make a 480 and I had great luck with the CEB 450s as I was able to drive them faster and thus they grouped closer together....in most instances. NF makes a 500 gr 458 but I figured I'd go faster than slower.

You will NEVER EVER need anything more than a proper designed 450 gr .458 Caliber Bullet in ANY 458 Caliber Cartridge..........

There are TWO proper designs that can do the following; New Nose Profile North Fork 450s, and CEB 450 #13 Solids.......

From Terminals today;

quote:
First elephant was with his 18 inch 458 B&M running that wonderful 450 gr BBW#13 Solid, Safari Solid from CEB. This runs around 2210 or so fps. 450NE busted, broke completely both shoulders of a big bull (Ivory around 60 lbs), bull never took a step! Down straight on his belly quicker than brain shot, never moved from that position again, big hole in the heart, both legs/shoulders broken. Bullet was not recovered, heat and suffering took its toll on everyone, 450NE included, and they think a strong possibility it exited as well.

In July I shot a big bull elephant straight through the heart with another 18 inch 458 B&M, 450 #13 Solid at 2210 fps, bullet busted a big hole in the heart, passed completely through the elephant and kept on going....... I also shot a big bull hippo point on the shoulder, busting bone, passed completely through bone, vitals, stomach, meat and was found under the hide rear left hip, after traveling 6-7+ feet of hippo.......... Same bullet, 450 #13 Solid.......

How much more do you think you might need from a 458 caliber solid?

Jorge, sounds like it is working perfect....... This North Fork is an incredible bullet.......... Seems I might be seeing a trend of sorts with VC... They like the North Fork Solids matched with the CEB Noncons.......... Todds rifle is doing the same.....

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Michael: Spot on with the observation of the NFsolid and the CEB Raptor. THanks buddy for all your help!.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Unless those blacked marked bulls are 20 inch bulls, I would say there is nothing more you have to do but practice loading and shooting multiple shot sequences.

Pleasant holiday,

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Smiler Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well Mike. See you in Dallas.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member