Tools

DR Actions - Comparison
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted
Great website showing various DR actions:

http://www.vintageguns.co.uk/a...62-2/actions-gallery

Which is the BEST (ie strongest, staying on-face, accuracy) if cost is not a factor?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Missing a few.

Back action sidelock - like the early Hollands
which were meant to be very strong.

I'd go for a Screw grip boxlock.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Round action?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of the actions shown...

The Greener Facile Princeps

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Too bad B. Bradshaw's action is not one of those pictured! No stronger
design than his. For it to come off face it would have to be nuked!

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll email that website's mods to add these updates! Now I just need to get images of these actions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Hi PD999,
Thank you for one of the most informative homepages i have seen in a long while!

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PD,

That is a great website.

Thanks!

Armbar.

Posts: 169 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bailey Bradshaw:
Of the actions shown...

The Greener Facile Princeps

The W.W.Greener 1880 patented 'Facile Princeps' treble wedge-fast[boxlock]action:
[claimed to be the strongest type of breech/break open design SxS.]

The Greener design came about when Greener was inspired to design his own action in order to avoid paying Westley Richards to make actions for him based on the Anson & Deeley design.
Westley Richards launched the world’s first successful hammerless design cocked by the fall of the gun’s barrels,
that being the A&D design boxlock of 1875. William Anson & John Deeley worked for WR.

The Greener facile princeps boxlock was far from inexpensive to manufacture,and despite several court challenges from WR claiming a technical function/likeness to their A&D design,
W.W.Greener won and went on to prove that a Boxlock could be every bit as "best" as a Sidelock.

It was unfortunate for Greener that people continued to carry the perception that a sidelock was superior to a Greener FP boxlock, unconvinced that the Greener design was worthy & justified of its high cost.

Greener today ... primarily makes sidelocks, combined with very limted production of the Greener FP design.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax,

Nice bit of history on the Greener.

The Facili princeps action is a tank. Lots of steel where it counts and the Greener Crossbolt. They just don't get much stronger for a break action.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Thanks Trax and Bailey.

I had no idea that Greener is still trading as a family business after all these years. They are close to Westley Richards, so I'll have to visit both when I'm next up near Birmingham.

I've always had a soft spot for the Westley Richards hand-detachable locks, but I remember Mac mentioning previously that unfortunately a lot of metal had to be removed, potentially weakening the action.

Peter

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
According to Richard Akehurst's 'Game Guns and Rifles', Greener was sold to Webley & Scott in 1965. The Facile Princeps action's main claim to fame was ease of cocking. It could be had with or without the crossbolt, though Greener recommended its use.

Posts: 5012 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote