New
Find
Notify
Tools

Murrays Ammo Belts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wifey is looking for things to buy me for Christmas and being the kind soul that she is asked me for "ideas" Smiler.
Emailed Murrays and they will make there ammo belts for a lefty on request. Considering telling her one would be a good idea to go along with my being built 450 Nitro.
Thoughts? Good or bad, elastic or leather ammo loops? I'll be wearing the belt over a light jacket if that matters or is there a better choice for holding ammo? How about ordering a ammo holder and finding a belt to fit so the holder can be moved around?
Thanks
http://www.murraycustomleather.com/belts.htm

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Randy,
I got a dandy very similar to this one from Jeffs Outfitters. I think it'll work great.
http://jeffsoutfitters.com/sto...tid=86&categoryid=59

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
One of my PHs in Zimbabwe had one with elastic but quite a few loops where torn Frowner .
I would always buy Leather before elastic.
I use one like this and find it great.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy,
I've had some of Dick's stuff (Murray's) it's top quality, I've had full leather and the elastic loops I've since changed to the canvas stuff that Trader Keith's has, either the culling belt or the ammo wallets. Two reasons for the switch: Canvas is much lighter in weight and dries out very quick if it gets wet, you don't have to worry about verdigris (fungus that turns the brass green) that you get with leather. You can order the canvas ammo holders at Trader Keith's and I like the Texas Hunt Co. nylon belts they are inexpensive and strong. I'm also a lefty like yourself, the culling belt is ambidextrious.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Canvas or Nylon is what I use. I con't care for leather.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Canvas or Nylon is what I use. I con't care for leather.

I am sure you find both to be functionally superior to leather,

no matter what sort of beast was skinned to provide it.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for my Searcy LH .450 Nitro Field Grade too.

Boyt makes some carriers. Inexpensive and you dont have the weight of an extra belt. I have the 5 round version and it fits the .450 Nitro, .45/70 as well as .470. Put it on either side of you.

Hey, what about a pair of 5 rounders, one on each side of you. You might start a fashion trend. Solids in one, soft nose in the other.

Ammo Wallet will carry either 5- or 10-rounds of rifle ammunition in a variety of calibers. Constructed of durable 10 oz harness leather for years of use. Brown.

Midway sells them.

Boyt Ammo Wallet Rifle Ammunition Carrier 10-Round Short Magnum Cartridges Leather Brown
Product #: 618524
Price:$29.99

Boyt Ammo Wallet Rifle Ammunition Carrier 5-Round Short Magnum Cartridges Leather Brown
Product #: 878355
Price:$15.99

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a lefty and had Dick Murry make me a couple of belts.

I prefer a seperate shell belt rather than a five or ten round holder on my pants belt or on an extra belt. And I like the leather belt, even in the heat in the Zambezi Valley in Novemebr, it has never been an issue. Also, the leather has some body to it, so it stays put, with the shell loops where they should be and not pinched top or bottom, not shifting, as some canvas belts I have used especially the pinching, or scruntching up of the belt.

I had Murry make a twelve round belt, leather loops, mirror image for a lefty. It is very high quality.

On the shell belt, I also carry a two round holder from Alecko - can't recall the name of his company. The belt's loops carry all solids while the two round slide carries two softs, so the solids and softs are always seperate, which is critical! (Once concluded a long walk after eles and dicovered, to my absolute horror, that one barrel had a soft in it! Never again will softs and solids reside in the same set of loops!)

In between the softs and solids, I carry a small multi tool, which has come in handy more than a few time. The two round slide keeps the multi tool from sliding off the belt when you take it off or put it on. This "system" has worked perfectly for me.

The Boyt stuff is too soft and too cheaply made for my tastes, btw. But Galco and Alecko's company make very nice slides, and Alecko will custom make them to your requirements. Worth the few extra bucks, as are the Murry belts and slides.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, this is just great, lol. Now I can't make up my mind what to get!!!!!!!!
But am leaning to the canvas ammo holders offered by Trader Keith. Light, sturdy, no flap or cover to screw with and I can place it on any belt. Keep those ideas coming beer

But those culling belts are so fricking cool!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I HAVE USED VARIIOUS MURRAY PRODUCTS AND HAVE BEEN VERY PLEASED WITH THEM ALL. I HAVE THE CARTRIDGE BELT FOR 470 AND USED IT IN AFRICA FOR BUFFALO JULY 2009 . IT WAS PERFECT NO WEIGHT ISSUES. I HAVE FOUND THAT AFTER PURCHASING TO JUST LEAVE CARTRIDGES IN THE BELT FOR A MONTH OR SO AND IT WILL FORM THE HOLDERS TO THE CARTRIDGE WITH THE PERFECT FIT!

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:

But those culling belts are so fricking cool!

In a Rambo sort of way! Big Grin

I use the Boyt canvas belt with a couple 5 round canvas shell holders up front on each side of the buckle.

I got this one at Cabelas
Boyt Cartridge Belt

I don't use the cartridge holders, opting for the 5 round canvas ones I have, but they did work well when I did use them. Cartridges were a little loose until the belt was cinched up around my waist, but I never lost any in a couple trips to Africa here I used it until I got the 5 rounders.

The belt itself has now been to Africa 4 times and hunted around here a bunch.

Only thing I would like to see is a size between the 2 sizes offered. The big is BIG and the smaller offering is almost too small for me with a 37" waist.

Good luck!

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the shell belt, I also carry a two round holder from Alecko - can't recall the name of his company.

Africase

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Charles.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some great tips from everyone. Thank you. But the site that Mike posted seems to have the best prices:
http://jeffsoutfitters.com/sto...tid=86&categoryid=59.
I'll be wearing these over a jacket and exposed so I like they will be covered until needed. But will also most likely buy that belt from Cabelas for range practice, absolutely coolSmiler

I would guess one would order any of the ammo carriers for the 470 Nitro and the 450 Nitros should fit good? No one lists the 450 NE as an option yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 15 round Murray Leather belts for my 9.3x74R and my 450 No2 with elastic loops and with Leather loops for my 450/400.

I really like them.

It makes it easy to "change ammo" to what ever double I decide to carry from the truck.

I think the Leather Loops will last longer, but I have had my belts for several years.

I have left ammo in them for as long as 45 days or so and have not had any verdergris or other tarnishing problems.

I also have several Murray Belt slides for ammo as well as some products from Heritage Arms {Aleko] in Salt Lake City.

I also have Murray Buttstock Shell carriers on all of my doubles.

He has even made me some for my drillings that carry shotgunshells and rifle shells.

All are first quality products.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dick Murray's products are top notch as well as his service.

He Made me some dual snap keeper straps that will hold the leather belt to the pants belt underneath. This provides a solid base making cartidge extraction solid and reliable.

I have several of his cartridge holder and can adjust to how many cartridges and types you want to carry. Also obtained several larger cartridge wallets that hold 12 to 20 extra rounds in a covered case, that you can put into your backpack for the hunt.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,
I have the Dick Murray with the 10 elastic loops. It is top notch! I can switch between 375,416,450,470,500...all the way up to 600. I am left handed and the cartrage loops are on the left of the buckle...which puts my 12" bush knife on the right. After putting it on, I slide it to the right, so the brass is on my belly and the knife is centered at my back/butt...very comfortable. People I hunt with, wish they had one like it.
Go with the Murray!
ND Wink

PS: I love your signature line rotflmo....soooo true!

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK]

I had Murry make a twelve round belt, leather loops, mirror image for a lefty. It is very high quality.

On the shell belt, I also carry a two round holder from Alecko - can't recall the name of his company. The belt's loops carry all solids while the two round slide carries two softs, so the solids and softs are always seperate, which is critical! (Once concluded a long walk after eles and dicovered, to my absolute horror, that one barrel had a soft in it! Never again will softs and solids reside in the same set of loops!)
JPK

This system works well and I also prefer at least twelve solids and two separate softs.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Murray quality and service are both excellent, in my experience.

I have elastic loops on the butstock holders and on the shell belts.

I use one belt for the 9.3x74R and another for the 450/400's. If using multiple rifles multiple shell belts are extremely handy.

When questioning the elastic lifespan, I was told he would gladly replace it if necessary.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use Murray leather products. I had him make me a belt like the one in the third post - only with the shells on the left side. Dick Murray will build it to however you want it. I also find that my leather belt gives me back support.

My wife and I used Murray Rifle Scabbards on a horseback elk hunt and they worked great. My freaking horse decided on the 1st day to roll over on my gunside, but my gun came through un-harmed.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what would be the difference between a culling belt and a regular one with a couple five round canvas slides on each side? I liked the looks of the culling belt my PH had. Leather would be the best, IMHO, if you picked up some saddle soap in country. You'd need that for your courtneys anyway...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, the advantage of a "shell belt" is that the ammo is always on the same place on the belt, it does not slide around as individual 5 to 10 round cartridges carriers will.

I always place my solids to the rear in my cartridge belt of butt stock shell carrier.

When hunting elephants or cape buff I only have solids on the gun.

When hunting plains game with my 9,3x74R I always have the last 2 rounds in the butt stock shell carrier solids.

Many times when we "bumped" into elephants when hunting PG, I would quickly and silently exchange the softs for solids, then we would sneak/ or some times RUN AWAY...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Murrays are great belts but you might want to look at the ones on hear.
http://www.texashuntco.com/Pro...ails.asp?ProductID=6
http://www.texashuntco.com/Pro...ails.asp?ProductID=5
I like the Ammo Master as you can strap it down after you open it to stabilize it. I hate trying to pull ammo out of some holders that try to ride up when you are trying to get the ammo out.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Rich, the advantage of a "shell belt" is that the ammo is always on the same place on the belt, it does not slide around as individual 5 to 10 round cartridges carriers will.

I always place my solids to the rear in my cartridge belt of butt stock shell carrier.

When hunting elephants or cape buff I only have solids on the gun.

When hunting plains game with my 9,3x74R I always have the last 2 rounds in the butt stock shell carrier solids.

Many times when we "bumped" into elephants when hunting PG, I would quickly and silently exchange the softs for solids, then we would sneak/ or some times RUN AWAY...

That's why I had Dick Murray make me some keeper straps. They are like the Police belts that hold the cartridge belt to the pants belt and can also be used to separate the different cartridge carriers and conponents that you want to carry on your hunting belt( Knife, flashlight holder, cartdridge holders etc.

I've used this system on my trip to Namibia and found it to stay in a comfortable position and would not shift up or down or around your waist.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote