New
Find
Notify
Tools

from a 500/416 to a 470
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have firede some hundred rounds (3-400) in my 500/416 K-Gun. Very satesfied with it. Gun dealer has a new 470 NE and is willing to trade my 500/416 in with some in between. Think he is asking maybe 2k. The reason i am thinking about doing this is mainly that i feel the 470 Points better (less barrel weight..bigger holes) than my 500/416. Am I a total lunatic if I pay 2k for this? Of course I also get a brand new gun...

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
We are all lunatics for wanting double rifles, so that is not an issue. And if you have $2k to blow, that is your business too. 470 might kick more but as you said, handle better. Seems K uses the same barrels for everything; that is why my 450-400 weighs 12 pounds. As for utility in the field, killing power; might or might not notice any difference. I would go for it. But I wouldn't have bought the 416 to start with since it is not a classic DR caliber.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Well if you trade of your 500/416 for a 470,there can only be one outcome Big Grin,sooner or later you will miss it & wish you hadn't,there is only one solution to problems like this,get both,the 500/416 is a fine caliber,so is the 470, I have hunted with both,very happy with both tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish i could afford it! 5 kids, observant wife, not possible atm Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
500/416 is a fine caliber,so is the 470, I have hunted with both,very

What did you think is the practical difference?
(not an paper)

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Ammo for .470 is certainly easier to get and cheaper. Sounds like a good trade in value on the 500/416; seems like a great deal.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. FM:
[QUOTE]500/416 is a fine caliber,so is the 470, I have hunted with both,very

What did you think is the practical difference?
(not an paper)[/QUOTE

In the field,I would have to say,practically none,although I would feel more comfortable taking longer shots with the 500/416.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some pictures of the 470.

http://www.finn.no/finn/torget...ge?finnkode=38123759

Pling model, but i like The solid looking straight lined wood. Also do not care much for laser engraving.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked dealer to check for a 500 in case they have one in stock. I can then fireform my old 500/416 cases to 500 right?

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
In theory yes. But you might lose many to neck splits from streaching out so far. It will thin it out too much I suspect.

The 470 and 500/416 share the same parent case also.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try annealing the necks before stretching them out if you go this route. It is really easy to do and if you google it you will find more information. You could also try necking them up to .458 in one step then up to .500.
Trade? Hey, why not. Try something new and see how you like it. Nice thing about this forum, people are always willing to help others spend their moneySmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just returned home with an all black (blued action) K-Gun in 470. Havent started missing the old one (500-416), right now it's all bout my new beauty!!