THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Merkel 141 barrel regulation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 141 barrel regulation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know where I can find some information regarding the technique for adjusting the barrel regulation of a Merkel 141 double rifle? A local gunshop has a used one in excellent condition, chambered .30-06. The gun has double triggers and ejectors, and the quarter rib is equipped with bases for the turn-in Recknagel-type scope rings. I'm not a huge fan of the chambering, but the gun's almost-perfect condition and low price hooked me...I put a deposit down.

I've seen photos of the muzzle end of Merkels with the adjustable-regulation feature, and they showed three screwheads between the muzzles, two small and one central, larger one. This gun has only the two small screws. The gun has no paperwork, and the dealer has no idea how to adjust it.

I have had wonderful success regulating the barrels on a couple of Baikal doubles, but the process involved a pipe wrench, small hammer, and home-made shims. I'm hoping for a bit more finesse this time. Big Grin

Any info or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Have you contacted the Merkel shop?

I'm sure they'll get you the correct info.

http://www.merkel-usa.com/contact/

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
John

PM me your email address and I will send the instructions to you (in english).

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

Thanks, pm sent (in English! Smiler)

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Merkel seemed reluctant to send me any info. I don't know if this is because of my location (Canada) or because they want the work to be done by an approved facility/gunsmith.

John

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
Mike, Merkel seemed reluctant to send me any info. I don't know if this is because of my location (Canada) or because they want the work to be done by an approved facility/gunsmith.

John

John get in contact with JudgeG I believe he has one of the 141s,has regulated it, and may send you a scanned copy of the instructions!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
John, instructions sent! Wink

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
PM mdstewart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have instructions if you still need them.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to DoubleDon for sending me the instructions, and to everyone else who responded as well. I'll be picking up the gun this week and the fiddling will commence immediately!

John

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
I also have a Merkel 141 E and would like to re-regulate the barrels.

I have the instructions but it does not mention what size the allan key is for the adjusting screws.

Can someone tell me what size of allen key to use.

Mine also has the three holes in between the barrels.

Kind regards,

carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Just buy a metric index set. They're cheap enough.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Gents

This may be an excellent opportunity to share with all. I am (still) too computer stupid to post the instructions. If a smarter guy will PM me his email, I will send for him to post. Thanks in advance.

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Hello Mike:

Had a set of metric allen keys kicking around. The adjusting screws take a 1.5mm key.

Thanks for the suggestion. Some days I really should take my head out of my a-s and see the sunshine.

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a link/image of the Merkel Regulation instructions, courtesy of Don.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Dean, thank you very much! beer

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful and write down how many turns you are making. I have seen more than one that owner thought he could "improve" and had it so mixed up it took two barn doors to catch the group after they finished

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote