http://africanxmag.com/the_blaser_s2_safari.htm

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, those are some groups, huh?

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, with all the fuss about the "safety" design, the S2 is one of the only double rifles I would use for Cape Buffalo. When a shot needs to be made at 100+ yards on a great Buff, and you only have the front half of the Buff as a target, an accurate, scoped Blaser would be as effective as a bolt rifle at that range.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first .470 was and is a Blaser S2. Then I bought the Searcy in .470 as well. Have not had a chance to take the Searcy hunting as of yet and won't until next year but I have no qualms with the S2. It is accurate and comfortable to shoot. I am going to have to add a spacer to the stock for length as the front trigger usually cuts me when I shoot the back trigger but other than that, I have been happy with it. I like the fact that the knob that acts like a safety is actually the cocking mechanism. I feel more comfortable knowing that the rifle "is not supposed" to be cocked and able to fire without me actually cocking it. It does not have the clean classic look of a fine double just because of the fixture at the front of the barrels but it sure will kill buffalo and elephant. Plus, if you have a problem, Andrej in San Antonio is very knowledgable and helpful.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
We finally got a day with no wind so I took my .470 to the range this afternoon. I really love my Blaser. It's not the best handling gun and it is quite heavy but it is hell for stout and it really shoots if I do my part. Unlike Hans, at 11.5 pounds, I think it is already too heavy for a scope so I am really only concerned how it shoots with irons out to 50 meters or so. As good or better than any double I have ever shot. I bet even Butch would be pretty proud of the groups that Hans was shooting.

Anyway, I thought it was a nice article so I wanted to pass it on to you guys.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have previously posted targets shot with my scoped S2 in 500NE. I have no qualms about taking that shot if it presented itself.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote