Find
Notify
Tools

Starting Search For Double
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted
I'm entertaining getting a left hand Double Rifle.
I have no experience with them. How do the seasoned experts recommend I proceed? I'm not looking to pay for pretty or that. I'll probably use it one to two times and go in safe. Thanks in advance.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good place to start is Champlinarms.com. Lots of helpful information can be obtained from the owner.

DRSS

Posts: 1167 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You might check out this Heym 89B that Ralf Martini has on consignment.

Heym 89B

Posts: 14 | Location: AK | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you plan to hunt?

I am not aware of any British doubles in Southpaw configuration?? But that said, if you buy the right rifle that fits you, without a cheekpiece, you could shoot most any double left handed, more easily than a bolt gun. I have seen comments, only 3% of shooters are left handed and shoot that way!!

Buy one that takes ammo that is easily purchased from Hornady, Federal, or Kynamco/Kynoch.... 470NE 450NE, 375FLMAG,500NE, etc. or plan on handloading and plenty of shooting developing loads.

You need to be intimately familiar with any dangerous game rifle!! Lots of practice!!

Good luck in your pursuit. This is a good time to buy, prices on all doubles are in decline!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I plan to use for dangerous game as I have my bolt rifle for last several years. I guess the left handed part is I don't want a stock that has cheek piece for right hander. I've been told that if the cheek piece is not too big you can work around it. To me, it would be like wearing your left shoe on your right foot.
My initial thoughts were to get one in 375 HH because that is what I have now and I reload so I wouldn't have to ramp up on that side after purchase. I have talked to a couple people and they pointed out do you want a stopping rifle like 470 or I forget how it was put but a 375?
I do want a caliber where components are available because I totally agree you need to know your weapon.

I don't like this pursuit because I feel like I'm a "Babe in the Woods" in this category. I don't know what a good price is and what I'm looking at? I appreciate your honesty about the market but don't know how to apply. Is a 10 to 12,000 double now worth 8 or 9,000 or in general.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a BIG difference between DANGEROUS GAME:
BUFFALO, ELEPHANT, RHINO
LION, LEPOPARD, HIPPO, CROC

My opinion, ANY BELTED Cartridge has too much chamber pressure for a Double Rifle.... and is pushing the envelope of danger!! Stick with rimmed cartridges for best results in Doubles.

You can kill a Buff or Elephant with a 375H&H, some countries DON'T allow it, and thousands have, mostly by VERY EXPERIENCED Professional Hunters, but you really NEED a BIG BORE for these and Stopping a charging Lion!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That Heym-Martini lefty 89B .450 NE 3 1/4” looks heaven sent for a southpaw.

Better if it was a 3”, but still a great and rare rifle to see on the market at all, and the price is falling! Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13619 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If the stock has neutral cast a cheek piece can easily be removed if it bothers you. I entered into the same search two years ago, as I also prefer to hunt with left handed firearms. I purchased a used Krieghoff Classic in .470NE and have both left and right handed stocks for it. I took elephant and buffalo with it last year and I’m booked again to do that next year. I have a custom.416 Rigby I built for myself but now that I have this double I doubt the Rigby will ever see Africa with me.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

Better if it was a 3”, but still a great and rare rifle to see on the market at all, and the price is falling! Cool

3"? Roll Eyes I'd stick with the 3 1/4" if you want easy to find ammo and components.

Mac

Posts: 1746 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

3"? Roll Eyes I'd stick with the 3 1/4" if you want easy to find ammo and components.

Sorry, my brain was scrambled on that one. I was thinking of the .450/400.

For the .450, a 3 1/4 inch case is indeed what you want.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13619 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I would buy a Chapuis in 470NE or 470NE, i use chapuis for working and literally i shoot it everyday in dusty and salty terrain and never let me down.I would stsy awayu of Sabatti unless Ken Owens customized it.
Cheers From Argentina. Pd by the way i have my 470NE at hand.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a left handed shooter that owns a double the question I would ask of you.. Do you shoot shotguns either O/Us or SxSs if so are they a true "Left" handed gun where the Top Lever turns to the left... If not then stick with a "Right" handed Double and have the Gun fitted to you Length of Pull, Cast and Drop If you don't like the cheek piece on the wrong side take it off while your at it if the trigger are bent for a right handed shooter you can have a gunsmith straighten them

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call JJ Perideaux.

Posts: 10318 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Hellow, im lefty for long arms ,only,abd i use doubles without problems.I recommend a #Chapuis 470NE. I use one on daily basis.I would stay away of old doubles sometiethey are a pain i the ass.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a good reference book (which I would highly suggest) then get the book “Dangerous Game Rifles” by Terry Wieland. This has some excellent information on double rifles and will greatly increase your knowledge base for selecting a double rifle. I wouldn’t buy anything until you research this broad category well. Doubles are expensive investments and typically most hunters only purchase 1 or maybe 2 in their lifetime- so be informed and make wise decisions. You want to make sure you get a well made and functioning double because your life is depending on it. Cheaper isn’t always “ok” in doubles.

Posts: 97 | Location: Virginia  | Registered: 27 September 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should also go to the Dallas Safari Club convention (every January). There are literally hundreds of double rifles there for sale and this is where in all likelihood you will find what you are looking for. It’s certainly worth the trip for many reasons besides the double rifles.

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
As a left handed shooter that owns a double the question I would ask of you.. Do you shoot shotguns either O/Us or SxSs if so are they a true "Left" handed gun where the Top Lever turns to the left... If not then stick with a "Right" handed Double and have the Gun fitted to you Length of Pull, Cast and Drop If you don't like the cheek piece on the wrong side take it off while your at it if the trigger are bent for a right handed shooter you can have a gunsmith straighten them
I have an over and under (shotgun) and took to Dave Berlet a very accomplished trap shooter and helped a lot with his adjustments. I also remember I bought a Beretta semi shotgun and took out and shot trap and was very frustrated with my shooting. I took up to a Sporting Clay club I belonged to see if I could get any better. I ran into a guy I knew that was an Master Sporting Clay instructor. He asked how I was doing and told him my frustration. He said go get it and he had me shoulder it and said "you are probably hitting targets going left or right but not the other way" I said exactly. He said, you should have have shims in the box, which I did. He said go get them and he put them on and it improved my shooting greatly. At this point, I really didn't know cast off from cast on. He explained that European import are setup for right handers and not neutral. I always had straight stock shotguns to that point. I was ready to put the Beretta in the safe till he enligtened me.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I want to thank everyone for the sage advice. I go to SCI every year and I think that is where I can get some hands on with Doubles. I see tables every year with doubles but never really stopped and put time in to get info.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful at both Dallas Safari Club and SCI when shopping doubles!! Pricing at these venues are set for the high rollers in the hunting world!! Not many bargains here, but a great place to see and handle a wide range of double rifles, from the new Holland and Holland and Westley Richards, continental makers like Verney Carron,etc...as well as high end brokers.
Remember, the exhibitors space at these venues is extremely expensive!! They have to make a profit to be there...

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen way more doubles on display at DSC than at SCI plus it’s a much bigger show overall. I agree with 470Eddy that there will be no bargains there but in the world of double rifles there are very very few bargains to be had anywhere honestly. Enjoy your search and learn lots along the way.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MDO:
I’ve seen way more doubles on display at DSC than at SCI plus it’s a much bigger show overall. I agree with 470Eddy that there will be no bargains there but in the world of double rifles there are very very few bargains to be had anywhere honestly. Enjoy your search and learn lots along the way.

Truly, there are bargains out there, but they are "needles in the haystack!!"

My two last purchases were REAL BARGAINS by advertised pricing levels!!

One I was tipped off to an Auction I had never heard of by Colin Masters on this website... he knew I was shopping for a 450-400 3". I registered for the auction, called and spoke with one of the appraisers for a good look, then bid on the Jeffery Boxlock, Ejector. BINGO $7500 plus Buyers commission, packaging, shipping and insurance to my Gunsmith!! Probably half the real market value, and a third of advertised duplicates!! Thank you, Colin!! 2020 during COVID.

Also during COVID I was tipped off to a great H&H Royal in 375 Flanged Mag in the UK. I was tipped off by a great friend, and colleague of the late Chris Soyza, of J&L Wilkins fame, Gunmaker Keith Thomas. I diddled around and didn't do anything, thinking I was too old to be buying something like this.... a year later Keith and I were chatting on WHATSAPP... pictures, etc., he was going up to regulate a 4 Bore he was building for the Broker who had the H&H... he would evaluate it, and shoot it, give me a report!! HUMMMM
Shortly, he was sending photos of rifle, and targets with a glowing report!! Now what do I do??.... I didn't want to offend my finder by making an offer... he said go for it!! I spoke with the owner-broker Giles Marriott, a very nice guy!! He was good in $US, or UKP, no problem and he was open for offers... I offered the UKP asking in $US... he came back promptly, $3000US higher... lowest he could go. I thought about it... and jumped in the fire... I had never brought in an expensive double from UK/Europe.
One call to Steve Bertram, it was arranged in his next container Air shipment... done deal!! He was fantastic to deal with too... he carefully marked the import as required by US ATF and shipped it to my local gunsmith for clearance!!
SLICK... I could NOT BELIEVE I was the proud new owner of a Holland Royal... for half what you see them listed on Guns International!!
So, let your desires be known, friends, gunsmiths, and right here on AR... there are eyes all over the world, and YES, there are deals, if you are patient and know a deal when you see it... use knowledgeable eyes on, NEVER sight unseen!!
Deals are offered here on AR Guns Only Classifieds too!!... some are NOT... generally driven by a bad buy previously and trying to recover... don't go there!!
Keep looking, be PATIENT... you will prevail!!
GOOD LUCK!!

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I live in New Zealand.

I bought my VC Demas 470NE from Holts auctions in 2018. It cost me about US$4500 in hand after all costs. I got dies, cases bullets etc and played with it for 5 years.

I tried to sell it since 2021 and a few people showed interest. I posted it here on AR Bay but no real interest. One person from Europe corresponded with me. My asking price was a ridiculous $6000 I think and this included about 150 once fired brass and about 500 Hornady DGX & DGS bullets from Midway (bulk factory blemish). Still no takers.

I finally sold it last year to a guy from Australia for my asking price, with a minor negotiation for the extra cases & bullets.

I was really surprised at the lack of response. I presume that most people were not interested in dealing with the shipping, customs, permits etc.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11206 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
I live in New Zealand.

I bought my VC Demas 470NE from Holts auctions in 2018. It cost me about US$4500 in hand after all costs. I got dies, cases bullets etc and played with it for 5 years.

I tried to sell it since 2021 and a few people showed interest. I posted it here on AR Bay but no real interest. One person from Europe corresponded with me. My asking price was a ridiculous $6000 I think and this included about 150 once fired brass and about 500 Hornady DGX & DGS bullets from Midway (bulk factory blemish). Still no takers.

I finally sold it last year to a guy from Australia for my asking price, with a minor negotiation for the extra cases & bullets.

I was really surprised at the lack of response. I presume that most people were not interested in dealing with the shipping, customs, permits etc.

I now import from New Zealand, no problem at all. I just finished up my paperwork from a shipment that arrived last Friday.

I'm buying good guns, especially British rifles from any of you Kiwis that are looking to sell.

Posts: 1118 | Location: Boulder mountains | Registered: 09 February 2024Reply With Quote