THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    BAIKAL 45-70 double question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BAIKAL 45-70 double question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
Okay before all you guys with deep pockets that own fine English doubles start tearing this rifle up, let me state that I KNOW this rifle is a POS, comparitively speaking.

I'm looking at it as just another toy to play with.

Anybody have any experience with one? I'm very curious to know how (and IF) the barrel regulating system they have works. How strong the action is, how long before it shoots loose, all that stuff.

Again, I don't want one for hunting, just something to play with at the range so I can say "I got one"

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Search. They been discussed many times on this forum. Owned three and any of them would shoot better than my Searcy, VC, or Chapuis's. Only my Heym has equaled their accuracy.

They are an accurate, poor fitting, piece of shit rifle, but they can shoot great if you tinker with them.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i've had 1 for several yrs... took 8 shots at hogkiller's place to get it regulated... and since then ive shot close to 600 rounds thru it... all basic factory "springfield" loads... remington factory 405 gr... ive scoped it, shot it with irons, and its a 3" gun for me at 50 yds,..and a hoot to shoot... i bought mine from luke in pueblo colorado for $1k... the triggers are terrible, but those can be fixed... i also have the 30-06 version... and it's even better... i don't intend to shoot "hot" loads in it, and haven't reloaded for it yet... the plain 'ol factory springfield load works for me.. ive taken axis, hogs, squirrels, armadillos, and quite a few dwg's with it... for $1k, its fun and cheap to feed... the regulation system works best if you remove the thin sheet metal strips between the barrels first, so you can see what you're doing... then replace after you get it set.. insatlling a scope did not change point of impact on either of my guns...

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ive had one for some time now in 45-70 and havent been disappointed with its performance. it shoots 2 in. at 50 yards and regulates the same with the iron sights or scope. it was easy to regulate. you will not be disappointed in it. for 1k you couldnt have a better toy.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Got mine from Luke as well. Two things: triggers need attention, and the rifle is so light you really won't want to shoot much more than those trapdoor factory loads. I sold mine to Jeffe, and I think Jeffe passed it along as well.
For the money, also consider the Pedersoli Kodiak .72 muzzleloader.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought mine on Grabagun. Shoots as stated above. Will kill white tails just fine.Go for it.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I sold mine to Jeffe, and I think Jeffe passed it along as well.

I have it now.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Bought mine from Luke as well, but he's only 45 miles south of me. Mine has got great wood on it so doesn't look bad at all. Had to do some work on the triggers and on the opening of the gun. Seems it had to be forced open in order to load or unload. No problem now.
Barrel regulating was easy after I figured out which way to turn the adjustment screw.
Hornady LeveRevolution 325gr ammo shoots great as well as some 350gr handloads.
Not a pageant winner, but a serviceable gun.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had to do some work on the triggers and on the opening of the gun. Seems it had to be forced open in order to load or unload. No problem now.

Can you explain what had to be done to correct that issue. My gunsmith spent about an hour with mine but it is not fully corrected. Perhaps, who did the work for you?
Thanks
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, who is Luke? A name, address or phone number would be much appreciated. I am assuming he is a dealer? Thanks.

PS Bill/Oregon have not forgot your interest in spot and stalk Africa style, will get back to you soon.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
quote:
Had to do some work on the triggers and on the opening of the gun. Seems it had to be forced open in order to load or unload. No problem now.

Can you explain what had to be done to correct that issue. My gunsmith spent about an hour with mine but it is not fully corrected. Perhaps, who did the work for you?
Thanks
Frank

Ditto! My gun is very stiff opening and closing. I could use some good info to give my gunsmith (who did a GREAT job on those HORRIBLE triggers, btw!)

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Look for information from the Cowboy Action shooters on how to replace the cocking springs to allow for easier and farther opening. I have replaced them but the springs were provided by the customer; I can't remember who made them. Maybe Wolff springs makes them. Baikal factory springs are surplus tank cannon firing pin springs. Oh, yeah, the weaker springs will make the triggers much lighter too.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Larry, Luke is with a gun shop in Pueblo, Colorado, whose names escapes me.
Frank, I'm pretty sure that someone posted a detailed photo essay on this forum for correcting the Baikal issues two or three years ago when they finally began to come into the country. Might do search here and in gunsmithing.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I used Ruger Vaquero hammer springs cut to 2.5 inches long; longer than the Baikal springs but weaker.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did quite a bit of work on two of these, both in .30-06; not in the .45-70 version. To try to directly answer your questions:

The adjustable barrel regulation system works just fine, and such a system is now common on a number of good quality modern double rifles from more respected makers.

Action strength is quite good, since the steel used in it is of a very high quality modern alloy steel---The Russians know their steels! As with any and all double rifles of the world, never shoot hot loads in them, and your Baikal should last a very long time. The action overall internal mechanical parts design leaves a lot to be desired, but can be somewhat improved for better performance. Stock wood and stock design, if you can call it that, is simply horrible, but restocking is easily done if so desired. The best part about the overall rifle, is the good quality of steels used, in my opinion.

Posts: 121 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Sorry I've been off this thread so long. To ease the opening, the cocking devices on the very front of the receiver were carefully ground down by me with a moto-tool. Cut, reassemble, and try were the procedures until the gun opened satisfactorily to allow loading and unloading. Don't Take More Than Minimum Needed! I also replaced the hammer springs with Colt 1911 mainsprings. This helped the triggers. I cleaned everything in the action until every tiny bit of grit was gone. A LIGHT oiling was then done.

A gunsmith (who died last year) honed the triggers. Yes, there is creep and overtravel, but they are safe, just lighter.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
hmmm there's one in my local shop in 45/70.

Posts: 6488 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doubleriflejack:
Stock wood and stock design, if you can call it that, is simply horrible, but restocking is easily done if so desired. The best part about the overall rifle, is the good quality of steels used, in my opinion.

I am looking to restock my wee beastie. Any suggestions on where to get a decent blank?? I don't want to put a fortune in Turkish walnut in it. I just want a grip closer to my skeet guns, any advice appreciated!

Thanks!!

Here is the link to the cowboy action page on tuning these guns;

baikal cowboy action tuning

This is a link to the manual. Page 22 is an exploded parts diagram. Could be useful!

MP22 manual

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the help. I already have the manual and will start tearing mine apart after I read all the literature again.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I think if the .45-70 had been just a bit more heavily built, I would still have mine. They are indeed functional double rifles. I had a couple of Baikal side-by-side 12-bores and they were very serviceable shotties.

– John Green, author