THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double Rifle Manual of Arms (Ed. - I have drafted one and would appreciate comments.)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle Manual of Arms (Ed. - I have drafted one and would appreciate comments.)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
I am looking for a good written primer to give to someone who has never used a double rifle.

I am not looking for a book on bench shooting, regulation or handloading, etc., for a double rifle.

What I am looking for is a kind of manual of arms on best practices for shooting and reloading a double rifle in the field, under hunting conditions.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13661 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
DO NOT PUT TWO FINGERS ON THE TRIGGERS AT THE SAME TIME. stir clap

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You guys with all this disposable income come around to a double sooner or later, eh? Smiler

Don't know about a book but there are a bunch of these guys here that know just about everything there is to know about doubles. Just search or go to them directly.

MacD37
Rusty
NE 450 No2
400 Nitro Express
JPK
465 H&H

And I apologize to the others whose names escape me at the moment.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
You guys with all this disposable income come around to a double sooner or later, eh? Smiler

Thanks, Bill - but it's not for me. I still prefer a good bolt action over a double any day. Wink

And in this economy, for the sake of propriety, I will withhold comment on the entire concept of disposable income!

It's for a PH friend.

I'm looking for something in a handy format that he can use as a primer - if such a thing exists. He will be using a double as a back up rifle on dangerous game and will need to learn the ropes.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
As Will said, there seems to be a lot of people here on AR who know something about the subject. Maybe it should be a project to put a double rifle primer together, hosted on the website and downloadable to all, including Canadians.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
If it's down-loadable, how do I get Will sign it? Big Grin

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have put something together (see below) from a variety of sources relative to assembly, loading, firing, reloading and unloading, disassembly and storage of a right handed, side-by-side double rifle with a Deeley fore end latch, double triggers, automatic ejectors and a non-automatic safety.

I would greatly appreciate any comments, corrections or additions that any of the knowledgeable members of this forum might care to contribute – especially as regards use in the field, which is a subject that I have largely neglected.

Thanks.

DOUBLE RIFLE MANUAL OF ARMS

[FOR RIGHT-HANDED, SIDE-BY-SIDE DOUBLE RIFLE WITH DEELEY FORE END LATCH, DOUBLE TRIGGERS, AUTOMATIC EJECTORS AND NON-AUTOMATIC SAFETY]

A. TO ASSEMBLE THE DOUBLE RIFLE:

(1) The barrels and fore end are separated from the action and butt stock of the double rifle. To attach the barrels and fore end, first remove the fore end from the barrels by pulling out the lever in the lower middle of the fore end, holding it in the open position and tipping the fore end out and away from the barrels.

(2) Push the top lever to the right and hold it open.

(3) Engage the locking lugs located on the lower portion of the barrels with the receiver. The half round cut out on the lower locking lugs fits around the round bar in the forward lower portion of the slot in the receiver.

(4) With the barrel lugs engaged in the receiver, swing the barrels up into the closed position. At the same time, release the top lever back to the center and locked position.

(5) The barrels will now be locked to the receiver in the closed position.

NOTE: The top lever may not move completely to the center on a new double rifle until the rifle has been well broken in.

(6) With the barrels locked to the receiver, pull out the fore end latch, hold it in the open position and place the rear of the fore end onto the rounded shoulders at the bottom front of the receiver. With an upward, swinging motion, push the fore end into contact with the barrels while releasing the fore end latch.

(7) The fore end will now be locked to the barrels.

NOTE: Never fire the rifle unless the barrels are locked to the receiver in the closed position and the fore end is locked to the barrels.

B. TO LOAD THE DOUBLE RIFLE:

(1) Load the correct caliber cartridge into the chamber of each of the barrels. This may be done singly, or if speed is a factor, two at a time, by holding two cartridges against the fingers of the loading (left) hand with thumb pressure and dropping them into the chambers.

(2) Make sure that the cartridges are flush with the extractor, then close the action by swinging the barrels upward until they are flush with the receiver and the top lever moves to its center and locked position.

(3) Engage the safety by using the thumb of the right hand to pull rearward on the tang-mounted safety button until the button is in the rear and “safe” position.

NOTE: The safety is NON-AUTOMATIC and to be engaged, must be pulled rearward into the “safe” position each time the double rifle is broken open and loaded.

C. TO FIRE THE DOUBLE RIFLE:

(1) Disengage the safety by using the thumb of the right hand to push forward on the tang-mounted safety button until the button is in the forward and “fire” position.

(2) The double rifle will now fire if the triggers are pulled.

(3) The front trigger will fire the cartridge in the right barrel.

(4) The rear trigger will fire the cartridge in the left barrel.

D. TO RELOAD OR UNLOAD THE DOUBLE RIFLE:

(1) Place the rifle butt between right bicep and torso. It is best to firmly clamp the butt stock into position with the barrels tilted at a very slight downward angle towards the ground.

(2) Use the right thumb to push the top lever to the right until the action breaks open.

(3) Fully open the action by gripping the barrels with the left hand and firmly pressing downward.

(4) Empty cases will automatically eject over the right shoulder. Unfired cartridges will be lifted by the extractors, but will not be ejected. Unfired cartridges may then be removed by hand.

(5) If reloading, load the correct type of cartridge into each of the barrels. (See loading instructions set forth above.)

(6) If reloading, unless rapid repeat shots are needed, engage the safety by using the thumb of the right hand to pull rearward on the tang-mounted safety button until the button is in the rear and “safe” position.

NOTE: As is noted above, the safety is NON-AUTOMATIC and to be engaged, must be pulled rearward into the “safe” position each time the double rifle is broken open and loaded.

(7) If unloading, close the action on empty chambers.

NOTE: Once the double rifle action has been opened with the fore end installed, the internal hammers will be cocked and placed under spring tension. Closing the action will not relieve such tension. If the double rifle is to be kept assembled but unloaded for any length of time (such as overnight or longer), it is suggested that such tension be relieved by inserting snap caps in the chambers and pulling each trigger with the snap caps in place. Use caution when subsequently opening the action with snap caps in place, as they will be automatically ejected from the barrels in the same manner as empty cases.

E. TO DISASSEMBLE THE DOUBLE RIFLE:

(1) Make sure the double rifle is unloaded. (See unloading instructions set forth above.)

(2) Remove the fore end from the barrels by pulling out the lever in the middle of the fore end, holding it in the open position and removing the fore end in a downward swinging motion.

(3) With the barrels and receiver supported with the right hand, use the right thumb to push the top lever fully to the right.

(4) Tip the barrels downward until they disengage from the receiver.

(5) Replace the fore end on the barrels for storage.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd add, "If your rifle has set triggers for each barrel, do not set both triggers at one time, as the discharge of the first barrel will cause the second to discharge simultaneously, which is not good for you or the rifle."

Don't think you have to guess very hard to figure out why I know this. Fortunately, the rifle was chambered for the .250 Savage instead of something that could have really hurt me.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
What are double triggers?

Obviously, you do know what the hell you are talking about.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Pritty well discribed, considering the fact the it was written by a bolt rifle man!

There are some addtions that could be added, but this will get a new guy into the right driving lane, and he will learn the rest with time!
................Good show mrlexma! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote