Notify
Tools

Shooting the Sabatti 500NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Can't disagree with anything you said there 500 and I'll even substitute your "SOME cases" with a LOT more that I am comnfortable with! It is clear Sabbatis have had some issues. BTW, I edited my post above. Smiler

Good, now we are getting somewhere.

As Express said, whats important is not what we shoot or how we live that connects us its the shared intrest in hunting and thats what matter.."

BTW, yes, every maker has the odd issue every so often, we all know that, but IMHO their should be NO issues with 99.9% of guns and the Sabs have a long way to go before getting to that stage - and I don't think they will as one of the issues is regulation and how they do it so until they change that, I can't see all guns working / shooting correctly.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Express: 1000% on board with that and we DO need to keep these issues at the forefront and I'll guarantee all here that you'll be the second to know (after Cabelas) if anything goes south on my rifle. Like I said, this was my entry rifle, I have a VC coming hopefully and I'll continue to shoot the Sabbati as a test bed/torture test with factory equivalent loads and see what happens. It's only money!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What an amazingly civil discussion! Congratulations to all!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Peter.

tu2

Malek

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, let's keep the Sab issues (or to put it a better way, those Sab's that do have issues because not every gun is bad) at the fore front.

Here's a question

Has anyone written to caeblas outlining all the problems / issues and pinnted out that they would sell a heap more if they fixed them ?

Or gone one further and written to Sabatti's ?

Or emailed them a link to these threads ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
500: Yes to all of the above. I've personally conveyed my concerns to the head of Cabelas' Gun Library thus illiciting-in writing- a gurantee for as long as I own this damned thing. Also another one of our members did direct them to these pages. Never fear, if I have to go directly to Dick Cabela on this I will. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Peter.

I'll be at Gateway tomorrow morning to keep "testing" Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jorge

Good.

I hope they pass it on to Sab and Sab reads these forums and takes note.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone who has wished me well with my Sabatti. Unfortunately, given this is the second one they've sent me and that it has now broken an ejector after only 25 rounds, I just am not willing to exchange it for a third rifle.

Cabela's has been more than willing to refund the $$ I paid for it, but I will still be out the work JJ did on it - $647 - and the two boxes of Hornady DGS I've shot through the two rifles - $250. Cabela's has agreed to reimburse the multiple shipping charges as these two rifles went back and forth to them.

I thought to exchange it along with some $$ for a Merkel 500NE but they don't have one available that they can negotiate on and I wouldn't pay over $9k in any event. So it will be my .458 Lott RSM for the Ele later this year.

Glad also that the discussion of my Sabatti issues has brought some civility to the discussion.

BTW, Cabela's is aware that there are more than a few problems with the Sabatti DRs at this point.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
BTW, Cabela's is aware that there are more than a few problems with the Sabatti DRs at this point.

So the next question is - what are they doing or going to do about it ?

BTW - I think it is worth sticking with the gun, get the Ejector fixed. What actually went wrong with it ? Was it a spring, the kicker in the action ?

Good luck.

<generalwar>
posted
AR needs to add a 'my sabatti is fucked up' section. sofa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
AR needs to add a 'my sabatti is fucked up' section.

Seriously we just got the thread back on track all the bitter feelings put aside and you post that you brought nothing to this thread but drame ....... donttroll

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
General

Like most things in life...you get what you pay for. Wink

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to know what the Sabatti factory gets for one gun in 470NE before the tax man, the middle man(if any) and Cabelas get thier pound of flesh. What do you want to bet these go out the door just over a grand? And another bet, Cabelas is making a maximum effort to squeeze every nickel out of the factory and keep the highest profit margin for them selves?

Some here have expressed an opinion that Sebatti could build a lot better gun and I agree. Dont they offer a 9.3x74R for $3,000. Versus $5000 for a 470? That cheeezy fake engraving and few ounces more steel should not double the cost of the double.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would tend to agree.

But I wish they would spend another $500 and make a gun that is then worth more than what it is.

After all, anyone can take 2 tubes and weld them together, the hard part is getting them to shoot, which just happens to be the MOST IMPORTANT PART, something they seem to forget !!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just am not willing to exchange it for a third rifle.

Sorry to hear that lionhunter, I know you have put some serious change into that gun. The offer to come to FL and work up some loads is still open.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
General

Like most things in life...you get what you pay for. Wink

So true my friend.

One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
Tuning a double cannot be looked in the same light as tuning a bolt gun. If I had this rifle for a spell to work with, I'd do the following.

1.) Shoot from a standing position. I'd place a stool on top of the shooting bench, and large sangbag on the stool. With this set up, I could grasp the barrels ahead of the fore end, and rest my hand on the bags. This allows the body to absorb the recoil of a heavy caliber double better than a seated position. Flinching happens to the best of us, and kills accuracy!

2.) I'd Shoot 2 rights and then 2 lefts to see how the barrels group individually. Then I'd worry about regulation.

3.) I'd shoot at 4 X 6" index cards from 50 yards. They are easy to see, and duplicate the vitals of many large animals. If the pattern permits it, I'd hold the bead bottom center.

4.) From there I'd vary the combination of bullets and powder loads until I reached the approximate MV the rifle was regulated at (2050-2150 fps for most NE cartridges). When I found a load that puts 4 shots into the middle third of the index card, I'd be finished.

I wouldn't bash the accuracy of any double rifle until I went through those steps.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450/400

I'd agree with 1 and 2.

3 and 4, well, I think a 1" round white dot on a black surface circle - at 6 or 12 o'clock - is far easier to aim at AND get a consistent sight picture - as when you are "off", it shows you clearly that your sight picture is different from your last shot.

And in reagrds to 4, when trying to regulate a DR, I think you should only change ONE
component at a time otherwise you won't know which of the changes caused the change in POI.

I do agree that once you've got it, that should be it.

Just my HO.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I hate to give up on any firearm. Due to input from many of you I have decided to stick with my Sabatti a bit longer, if they will fix the broken ejector. Stay tuned.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate to give up on any firearm. Due to input from many of you I have decided to stick with my Sabatti a bit longer, if they will fix the broken ejector. Stay tuned.

Lionhunter

Good to hear they will fix it, but I would suggest you find out
WHY it broke - was it the spring, metallurgy, kicker, bent rod.

Yes, Ejectors sometimes break but not on a new gun so make sure
as much as you can that it is not a design fault which will happen
again.

Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have decided to stick with my Sabatti a bit longer

Good news (from the peanut gallery)! Let me know if you need me to load some up for you.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:

mike

dont let those hick ups detere you, i am sure that the gun can be made to work to your satisfaction, and you will very soon have a fun gun to hunt with, besides we are here to help with the minor things if needed.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
500N,

I agree 100% about changing one component at a time. Sorry if my text indicted otherwise. I like your black dot concept, and will need to give it a go.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike

tu2

Good choice, expecting to hear good news.

Good luck and God's best.

Malek

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
quote:

I admire your perserverance, I gave up on the second gun.

I returned the second one mostly on principle. I could have had the bent front sight replaced, and glass-bedded the stock, but I should not have received a defective firearm in the first place!

So yeah, one can "fix" these problems, but shoud one have to? I don't think so...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote