New
Find
Notify
Tools

450/400 3" loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Posted this is reloading, but this might get more bites. I'm looking for some loads for the 400 gr Woodies using both H4350 and RL 15. I've seen the loads in the reloader pages, but am curious...do I need filler (I typically use foam in the 470) with RL 15 loads for this round? I'm assuming somewhere 67-70 gr to get it to regulate. I'm loading 4350 in my 404 and would like any good loads for that powder as well.

Thanks in advance.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All right, gents...let me simplify.....do you have any H4350 loads you care to share? I like this powder in my Heym 404 bolt and would think it's fine in the 450/400.

Any opines appreciated.

Thanks.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gary:
I use 71.1 of RL 15 in my 450-400 3 1/4 along with a cotton filler. I have had very fine accuracy.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gary-
I use 70.0 gr. of RL 15 in my Manton 450/400 3" with no filler. The accuracy has been excellent and the hogs don't know what hit them.

Tim

Posts: 52 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Gary,
You need to use filler with the RL-15 loads. I Dacron polifill or foam like Kynoch uses in their loads.
My rifle is a 55 cord rifle. I use approx. 64 grains of RL-15 plus filler and I use Federal 215 Match primers.
send me your email addy and I will send you the Ross Seyfried Article on "Reloading the Nitro Express" rkmojo@aol.com

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
My Jeffery 450/400 3" uses 68.0 grs of Rel-15 with 4grs of Dacron for 2010 fps from 24" barrels. I've never tried the load without filler. I have heard and read enough horror stories that I keep the experiments to a minimum when playing with my doubles.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Exactly....no experimentation...go with what works. I totally agree. Rusty, I appreciate the offer but I have that article as well as Wright's book. I've used RL 15 in my 470 and 450 NE double with excellent results, but wondering about the 450/400....and the need for filler with this round. I had also read somewhere, unfortunately the gray matter is letting me down these days...so I can't remember where...that someone had used H4350 with great results w/o a filler....plus, I'm using 4350 in my 404 Jeff bolt gun with great results.
I have a couple of hundred Kynoch plugs that I used for the 470, I guess I could just cut those in half and use them. I've never used the dacron filler you all speak of....know what it is, just never used it since I had such good luck with the foam plugs....both bought and home made.
Anyone know what Hornady and Kynoch use for powder in their factory loadings?
Thanks to all.....I appreciate it.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Gary,
is this a Newer double or an old Bristish double rifle?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty....it's a new Demas double....circa 2008.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Since it NIB I'd try for what it was regulated for first, of course. Then I'd use whatever you'd like. My preference for RL15 was originally based on pressure curve being close to Cordite. With the filler RL15 gives a very impressive uniformity in velocity. In short it is position sensitive.

As far as I know Hornady is using a non canister powder. Perhaps their version of RL15. I don't know. 400 Nitro Express might tell us what he knows about their loadings.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Regulated with Kynoch......And I'm not going to use that ammo...if I can even get it on short notice. I've got some Hornady ammo that just arrived today and will be trying that at the range tomorrow to see if it regulates as well. I have an Oehler so I will be checking reg vs velocity. The Hornady ammo has an airspace.....I can hear the powder moving....it's not as much as the powder in the Federal 470's, but you can still hear it move.

Thanks for the heads up on 400....I'll PM him.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI...the Hornady ammo is not regulating as well as the Kynoch did in the Demas 450/400. The rounds are a bit further apart and LOWER on the target to POA. I'm playing with some H4831 and RL 15 loads (foam filler) now and will compare. Didn't chrono the 16 rounds of Hornady soft/solids I shot as it was raining pretty good.
'Course it could be me......nah.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Guillermo,
I tried to email the article to you. I got a reply saying your email was full. Let me know if you have another email account I can use.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty et.al.,
I was thinking about the versatility of the .450-400 and it occurred to me if lighter bullets might be available. I was thinking 350grs and 300grs which would - if needed - bring more range, make the gun more suitable for smaller game, and would also reduce the recoil.

Do you have any experiences in using the .450-400 with lighter bullets?

Part of my thinking is my internal struggle 9,3x74R v. .450-400. Scope an o/u in either and you should have a versatile rig, indeed.

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use 300 grain Hawk bullet in my 450/400 with the same powder charge I use for the 400 grain bullets. They should have the same POI as the 400 grain bullets. As Jeffeosso calls them, Hawk Pig Bombs.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Schaukis,

In my .411 bore Jeffery the Hornady 300grs Flat Points shoot great with the same powder charge as the 400gr Woodleighs.

Plus they are CHEAP

Posts: 1309 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
Just an FYI...the Hornady ammo is not regulating as well as the Kynoch did...

Gary - I've not shot the Kynoch in 450/400, but would recommend that you chronograph some factory loads. The Romey 450/400 is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the Hornady. Given their history together, I would suspect that the Kynoch more closely duplicates the Romey than the Hornady.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the same loads for all my 450-400s for years:
RL-15 71.5 grs. Rl 15, 5 grains of Dacron, 400 gr. Woodleighs. or whatever,
2154 FPS av. of 10 shots, high and low out...

82 grs of IMR-4831 my all time best average load for 2134 FPS with 400 gr. bullets, 10 shots, high and low out.

85 grs. of RL 22, 400gr bullets, 2162 FPS is normally very accurate

These loads seem to regulate for most doubles..

Same loads but substitute .380 gr. GS Custom or Northfork flat nose solids..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A customer sent this to me. Thought you might be interested.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch!

Not all of us can download that testimonial in it's present format.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did something wrong with posting a picture of a target a customer sent me with his loads. He used different charges of H4831 with great accuracy. His loads are on the target picture and you can see it on my web site at the bottom of the testimonial Page. H4831 seems to be working very well in several different cartridges. As I said earlier I thought this might be of interest to some of you.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Australian Defence Industry Powder(ADI) AR2213SC known as H4831sc in the USA works well from my Searcy .450/400 with 84grns, Woodleigh softs and Hornerber cases.
From 1950fps to 2130fps MV it seems to shoot within 1" at 50m. That is if I shoot well.
(Start with reduced loads).

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote