New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing bullets from cases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have several 500/416 cast bullet rounds in which the primers failed to ignite. How can I remove the bullets (too big for my bullet puller).
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are not too worried about using the bullets again, use a vice from your work bench.

Put the bullet in the vice, SLOWLY twist the bullet to loosen crimp / hold and it should work loose.

Try not to put too much (or any) side to side pressure as this flexes the brass.

A vice is easier than a pair of pliers.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That's easy! The regular kenetic style bullet pullers are too short/small for some of my shells so I built my own out of a 1X2 board.
Drill a hole in it towards the end, just over your base size then with a rubber band wrapped around the 'tit' of your shell holder,(shell inserted) to the end of the board. Holding the shell holder with the opening towards the end of the board. Whack ot on the end of a bench with a can under it catching the slug and powder. This way you can reuse the slug, powder and wad with out damage.
It's harder to explain than doing it.
I only had a pine board but it split after several smacks on a steel bench. If you have a hardwood one it'll last longer.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a piece of 3/4" PVC about 18" long. Put a wad of paper towel in the bottom end and put the round in the shell holder in the top end and tape it in. Then just 3-4 taps (big taps) on the floor will get the bullets out. The paper will save the bullet and powder. If you do it right you can stop right when the bullet is almost out and twist it out with your fingers thus keeping the powder in the shell. I usually keep my thumb on the shell holder even though it is taped in, sometimes I just use my thumb. Have fun!

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try not using the little metal spring case holder in your kineteic bullet puller. Just use the screw on cap but leave it very loose. Works for 470 and 465 rounds.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the cost of components for these big boomers, I'd suggest the collet type bullet puller that RCBS makes. I have used it on my 470 NE and 375 RUM, and it has paid for itself many times over.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
finding components for bigbores in a place like NZ is not always easy
so here is my solution
not very elegant, but it works fine for the 470

Bang it on the end of another piece of wood a few times while holding the block and round in one hand for best results.

I wish I thought about using the shell holder, would probably be easier on the cases, but they seem to cope fine as the hole is a very good fit just below the rim of the washer.

The hole goes straight through the block, and powder and bullets end up in a plastic bag or on the floor if your'e not careful Big Grin

Posts: 356 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I have several 500/416 cast bullet rounds in which the primers failed to ignite. How can I remove the bullets (too big for my bullet puller).
Thanks, Peter.

These guys have given some very good ways to pull the bullets.
Next you should establish why those rounds failed to go bang!

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
Try not using the little metal spring case holder in your kineteic bullet puller. Just use the screw on cap but leave it very loose. Works for 470 and 465 rounds.

465H&H

+1 --

Also works for the 500/450 expect it does for any .500 Nitro base brass.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use your loading press. With no die in the press, insert case in the shellholder. Raise the ram until the bullet sticks out of the hole where the die screws in. With a pair of visegrips in the vertical position, clamp the bullet just above the case. Lower the ram, the visegrip will stop on the press, the bullet will come out easily.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
Use your loading press. With no die in the press, insert case in the shellholder. Raise the ram until the bullet sticks out of the hole where the die screws in. With a pair of visegrips in the vertical position, clamp the bullet just above the case. Lower the ram, the visegrip will stop on the press, the bullet will come out easily.

Was going to be my suggestion. I usually just use slip joint pliers. Amazing how some people can complicate a simple problem. Must be engineers. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
It is not a complicated thing, and the kenetic puller will work as described by 465H&H or the method posted by imapala#03 above! This is a good method becase it pulls the bullet in a straight line, and leaves the powder in the case so it can be saved, or a different bullet be seated on top of the origenal powder load for the 75% rule. (a bullet that weighs 75% of the origenal bullet for a light load the will usually shoot to the regulation of the rifle.)! If you are careful, the pulled bullet is not damaged either, and can be saved as well!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
5seventy, I have no idea why the bullets failed to go bang. The primers failed to ignite and I have no way of knowing why.
Thanks for all the suggestions. You are not going to believe this but I found my RCBS collet bullet puller in get this, 416! I had it in the back of all my other dies. Forgot I had it! Limited success so far in pulling the bullets, however. The bullets are very long. I have tried the vise grip idea, but not the vertical hold. I will try that next.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:

Was going to be my suggestion. I usually just use slip joint pliers. Amazing how some people can complicate a simple problem. Must be engineers. Big Grin

Grizz

I do the above. I have two pieces of tack leather to cushion the vise grips around the bullet if you want to reuse the bullet. Very easy!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote