Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simpkins Doubles
 Login/Join

posted
I happened to run across a listing on Gunsamerica for some double rifles built by Jason Simpkins. I did a search here in the double forum, but found very little information. The price certainly looks right, but has anyone here had any first hand experiences with his product? Thanks for any information provided.

Posts: 42 | Location: columbia, sc | Registered: 20 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
look up "cheap double rifles" here and read. I am getting things together for Jason to build me a DR on either a Browning BSS or a Beretta 10gauge.
We hve spoken on the phone, and he makes sense.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does he do a 450-400?

Posts: 418 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
harms,

he leans toward american rimmed cartridges, 45 and 50 caliber, but would do a 450-400 if you had the reamer, I think. We are talking 9.5x74R, the original 38-90wcf cartridge for mine. Dave @CH4D has one Butch built him, 270gr speer sp at 2460fps MV. It has killed several cape buffalo and everything in Africa except Elephant and rhino. I have a Shiloh Sharps in 38-90, the reason I chose it for the double...also had reamer and dies, and 700 pieces of Norma brass, and will work up a good 2000+fps case bullet load for it.

Email him at jsimpkins@yahoo.com and talk.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I looked up the posts and will contact him, the products look interesting. Thanks again.

Posts: 42 | Location: columbia, sc | Registered: 20 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho, ages ago, probably 50 years, I had an original HighWall Special Sporting rifle in .38-90, perfect bore, gorgeous wood, and alas the normal Swiss buttplate. Had some Winchester black powder factory ammo and shot it all off. Murderous recoil, in those days I thought it was fun!! Rifle would probably bring 10g today.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter, Any idea's on where to find a Beretta 10 gauge?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vigillinus,
the ammunition would probably bring $10K today.
Mine is a Sharps heavy barrel for black powder competition. The double will go to Africa in the spring if all goes well.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maxbear,
Given the choice between the BSS and a Beretta 10 gauge, I would choose the BSS for at least 3 reasons:
1) The metallurgy in the BSS is beyond question.
2) BSS's are easy to find and still priced reasonably cheaply.
3)A 10 bore Beretta is too rare and desireable to chop up for a project gun.

PS: Oh yeah, and the BSS has bushed firing pins which the Beretta lacks.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, what Ron said!!

I decided not to chop the Beretta, lb404 bought it this morning I believe.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been looking for a beretta 10 ga to hunt with . I am not interested in making one into a double rifle. So if you all know where a guy could pick one up I would sure appreciate it.
Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Beretta model 409's in pristine condition, a 12, 16, & 20. I've been looking for a 10 bore, in equal condition, for a loooong time, to complete the set. It ain't easy to find a NICE one. Maybe Ross Seyfreid would consider selling his? cheers

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep telling you, call Boise Gun Company and ask for Gary (owner) or Jason (son). 1-208-376-4440.
Costs five minutes of your cell time to find out what they have. The firearm you seek may be there on the rack. Ask me, or lb404...who got the Beretta at a good price.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Boise Gun Co. they said they were plum out of Beretta 10 ga.'s , O'well What can I expect to pay for one, and could you tell me how they handled, extractor's or ejector's, etc....?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lb404 got this absolutely pristine one for $1295 with shipping.

Rich