THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Used loading dies for .450 #2 NE?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used loading dies for .450 #2 NE?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know of any for sale? Buying them new from RCBS and getting them into Canada, costs about the same as buying some new magazine guns!

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Have you tried www.ch4d.com ?

Posts: 10 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron
RCBS dies are kinda pricey but they work perfectly. When you order them be sure to get 2 shell holders, it is a good idea to have a spare. Also I recommend you get a file trim die, it is much easier than trying to get a case trimmer to work.
What kind of 450 No2 do you have?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Despite the fact that I have never bought a set of dies in my life that was NOT RCBS, HDS's price is exorbitant for this calibre. I can buy the 2-die set, plus the file-trim die from CH for $210.00 less than RCBS. Looks like that's the way I'll end up going.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a search, some people havestated they had problems with ch4d.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought two sets of dies, 8x64S and 8x58RD and i haven´t had any problems.

Posts: 10 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I've seen many posts from those who were very dissatisfied with the quality of CH dies. Cheap isn't a deal unless they are the same quality of the high priced ones!

Hornady will custom make them for you with a six week turn around, for far less that RCBS, and the quality is there, the two year wait for RCBS custom is not!

Get someone to load four rounds for you, fire them in your chambers, being careful to mark them rt, and lft (two rounds from each barrel) then send them to Hornady, and have the dies made for the largest chamber of the two! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last summer RCBS made a custom set for my 400/360, took about 3 months and the usual great quality. Ask for Stan.

Posts: 134 | Location: dallas,tx | Registered: 29 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a note from Lonnie Hummel at Hornday that my cases arrived and they'll start on the 450-400 dies. I'll let ya'll know how they turn out. Bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
...send them to Hornady, and have the dies made for the largest chamber of the two! beer

This is where I can learn something since I know so little about reloading or doubles, because I would have intuitively said make the dies for the smaller chamber so the resized rounds will fit in both. Why do you pick the larger chamber? Is it to resize the brass less? Will the resized brass from the dies fit okay in the smaller chamber?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldnt have a set of hornady dies if they were given to me, had terrible luck with them. I have 2 sets of CH custom I just got and the quality was/is excellant.
I wish I knew why the inconsistancies?

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About sizing, Lonnie said they take a variety of measurements and create the dies so that they are a compromise which will allow both barrels to chamber. Bob.

I've had good luck with my Hornday dies in 375 H&H and 35 Whelen and hope the 450-400's are just as good. Bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had experience with two sets of CH dies for large flanged nitro expresses. One set couldn't be made to work at all. The other was slightly better but still unacceptable and was also returned. RCBS subsequently worked perfectly for both rifles. CH will make good on them, but RCBS is well worth the extra money to avoid the aggravation.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know some guys are not happy with CH4D, but I have used their dies for several calibers, including .600 NE, .500 NE, .585 Nyati, .470 NE and the ammo I load with them works fine.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
I have a set (RCBS), plus 90 cases, never fired, brand new. Make me an offer via PM

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
My CH4D dies in 470 NE are excellent. 1/2 the cost of RCBS

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote