THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Let's Talk BP & NFB Double Rifles
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's Talk BP & NFB Double Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've always been enamored of the old BP and NFB doubles of the late 1800s and early 1900s. Many of the impressive-sounding Express calibers, like 500, 577-500, 450 and such are rather anemic when you look at the ballistics, adequate perhaps for Deer, Hogs, Black Bear, and plains game at short range. Perhaps I'm wrong about that. It seems that the 577 is the only caliber that can still generate sufficient power to use for dangerous game in Africa, which is my intention.

For those of you that have ventured down this path, what calibers did you use? Did you use lead or jacketed bullets, black or smokeless powder, what game have you taken? Anything to consider between Damascus vs steel barrels? Anything else to consider?

I have Graeme Wright's book, but was looking for experiences and opinions from our group.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I've always been enamored of the old BP and NFB doubles of the late 1800s and early 1900s. Many of the impressive-sounding Express calibers, like 500, 577-500, 450 and such are rather anemic when you look at the ballistics, adequate perhaps for Deer, Hogs, Black Bear, and plains game at short range. Perhaps I'm wrong about that. It seems that the 577 is the only caliber that can still generate sufficient power to use for dangerous game in Africa, which is my intention.

For those of you that have ventured down this path, what calibers did you use? Did you use lead or jacketed bullets, black or smokeless powder, what game have you taken? Anything to consider between Damascus vs steel barrels? Anything else to consider?

I have Graeme Wright's book, but was looking for experiences and opinions from our group.

Next month you will move on lever action rifles.

Just stick to the Blaser Biebs.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what's great about firearms...there's so many different paths of interest.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's what's great about firearms...there's so many different paths of interest.

Except yours changes ever 4 weeks - you gun trading machine.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
JB, you just need to go to lunch or have a couple of beers with Cal Pappas at DSC and you'll be good to go. Cheers,

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does a percussion double count? Recently inherited a .76 cal SxS that my uncle refurbished years ago. Took it apart, re-rifled, regulated, repaired and refinished. Nice English side lock with half-cock safeties and 700gr balls.... Will be shooting something with it this fall. Need to take a few pics of it, looks like an honestly used rifle at this point...from what he told me, it was quite a project gun.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1175 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I had occasion to visit with a fellow named Dick Winter awhile back regarding NFB rifles. The man is a walking encyclopedia of information on old doubles. I was very impressed. I know he has done load development for a number of people with NFB doubles too. He has also hunted dangerous game with NFB doubles and believes in the effectiveness of good cast bullets on dangerous game.

Mike

Posts: 21388 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was it not Forsyth who used hardened round balls for dangerous game? I believe most of his rifles were also of rather large bore, yes, no? I would think a hardened bullet of large enough caliber adequate if it could be made to regulate.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess back then, if you couldn't generate more velocity, you increased projectile size and weight. Some of those 4 and 6 bore rifles are more like cannons than shoulder arms!

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
There is an excellent article in the most recent Black Powder Cartridge News that is a good place to start regarding your question. The article focuses on the .577 BPE, but covers others, as well.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomy, thanks. The 577 is the one that interests me.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had occasion to visit with a fellow named Dick Winter awhile back regarding NFB rifles. The man is a walking encyclopedia of information on old doubles. I was very impressed.

Mike, Dick comes to my Safari Rifle Challenge big bore shoot and not only does he have some INCREDIBLE guns, he can shoot!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own and shoot 4 BPE double rifles and my friends own 4 more. Here are the loads that shoot to the point of aim at 50 and 100 yards to the sights. 4" groups at 50 yards.

450 3 1/4 BPE three guns originally used
120 grains of Black. We use 49-50 grains
of H or IMR 4198 with Kynoch foam wads under
300-325 grain LBT cast gas check bullets.

We have tried 350 grain bullets, but those
shot 6" above the sights at 50 yards.

500 3" and 3 1/4" BPE, we have three guns
originally used 136-142 grains of Black.
Three guns use 350 grain LBT cast gas check
bullets over 52-57 grains of 4198 and Kynoch
foam wads to keep the powder against the
primers.
Woodleigh 440 jacketed bullets shoot high.

I have shot over 600 rounds made this way
with Kynoch wads as described in Sherman
Bell's article "Finding out for myself".

I did try 375 grains of LBT bullets and 57
grains of 4198 in my 470 NE, but these shot
12" high at 50 yards. Fun practice load.

I'm sorry to say we haven't downed any game.
We shoot 10" steel gongs for fun. The gongs are
made of AR 500 1/2" armor plate AND these NFB
load shatter the plates at the mounting holes.
30-06 loads just bounce off, no damage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On Holts Sept. 17th sale, lot 1233 there is a really nice 7lb 8oz Dumoulin 450 3/4 NE that is a NFB rifle. It is Nitro Proofed. Starting bid is 1,500.00 BP's (about 2,700 USD all in). Get bidding now as the auction will start in about 10 hours. You can always leave a commission bid (silent bid) if you want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oahu, welcome to AR. Sounds like you and your firend have quite a BP arsenal there!

Dutch, I've never done one of the auctions. I'll have to take a look.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Biebs, any chance you have a Merkel 500 laying on a shelf somewhere that you would be interested in trading? I have a Thomas Bland .577 3", nitro proofed (650gr/90 cordite) under lever, non rebounding hammer, double rifle that I have owned for about 20yrs but never fired. Overall clean condition, bores are bright, locks up tight, and the barrels "ring like a bell" when tapped. Has been refinished somewhere in the last 100yrs and that bluing covers some pitting under the forend. Picked it up at a fair price but it is just a safe queen. I took it with me to the Westley Richards shop in Bozeman a few years ago. They felt that it was a solid shootable gun but we did not strike a deal at the time. I am out till tomorrow a.m. but PM me if it is something you might be interested in.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, I have on a few occasions. I did bid on one double rifle in this auction and will know tomorrow about noon if I was highest bidder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dutch, isn't the Buyer's Premium like 20%? Plus you'll have import duties and fees.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Biebs, but if I can get that Double for 1800GBP's then I'm all in at about $3,200.00 with VAT and premium. Shipping is about $300.00 so I'm looking at $3,500 for something that would cost me about $7-8,000 here from a dealer.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
http://jamesdjulia.com/?s=2218...aucID&meta_value=386
or this
http://jamesdjulia.com/?s=2211...aucID&meta_value=386

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That H&H 4 bore is right up Cal's alley!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, Biebs, but if I can get that Double for 1800GBP's then I'm all in at about $3,200.00 with VAT and premium. Shipping is about $300.00 so I'm looking at $3,500 for something that would cost me about $7-8,000 here from a dealer.

Yes, good point...the strong USD helps for once.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oahu, welcome to AR. Sounds like you and your firend have quite a BP arsenal there!

Dutch, I've never done one of the auctions. I'll have to take a look.

He has that H&H from Caswell that I was ready to pull the trigger on.
Happy to see it is living in the islands as I would like to some day.
Surely there is a pig there that needs to be release from its mortal coils at the end of its muzzle.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There's a Fraser 577 bpe and a Rigby rising bite underlever in 450 bpe at that James DJulia auction. Wow!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old Gold, welcome to AR. If you like double rifles, you've found the right home :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huvius,

I have another Holland 450 BPE en route to me
now, made in 1892 for the 7th Duke of Rutland, Lord John Manners.

Extended top strap:

Cased:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like Morris Hallowell's photography?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I bought this from him.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome Biebs. I've long been interested in double rifles, and more recently taken by the late 19th century bpe's (particularly the .577 as well). Something about early sidelocks with underlevers like that H&H above - man they don't get much more stunning than that! Congrats!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous rifle, love those extended top tangs. Wow! Congrats!!

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know I've been at this WAY too long when I can recognize a seller by his photography :-(

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jon: Get a copy of "Wild Beasts and Their Ways" by Samuel Baker. Extensive discussions of just these firearms, and detailed discussion of the .577s. Intoxicating stuff!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OOOOH, gotta get it. Thanks Bill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill..first of all I shouldn't have read your post, now I want it also...I see a Volume 1 and Volume 2 but they appear to be some kind of study book for various tests. Is the original just one volume?

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
9,3: I have the Wolfe Publishing Company's 1988 reprint of the 1890 original in a single volume. I have read it over and over again with great satisfaction, but I find all of Baker's books rewarding on many levels.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir!! I appreciate the information. I suspected one volume but didn't want to get to the end of a book and learn it was only half!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Son-of-a-gun!! Wild Beasts and Their Ways arrived late yesterday afternoon! Haven't really got into it yet but am enjoying it so far!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found this discussion interesting because, last month I took a Kudu and a Cape Buffalo with my 1882 Cogswell & Harrison 577 2 3/4" BPE using a 525 grain hard cast bullet backed with 64 grains of H 4198 at 1800 FPS. The bullet had a large meplat that contributed to tissue damage and lessened penetration. It punched through the Kudu broadside at 60 yards. The buffalo was a 20 yard frontal shot that took a large trough of muscle out of his heart. He went 30 yards and was down. I put two insurance shots in the shoulder. The frontal shot went through the chest/heart area and was recovered in the paunch. The two in the shoulder went through the chest and struck the off side but, were not recovered.
Certainly not Nitro Express performance but, it worked. While I love my double rifles next time I'm taking my 416 Rigby because it wears a Leupold scope and iron sights. I definitely shoot better with a scope.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elk, a scoped bolt gun may be more appropriate, but congratulations on hunting Africa the way it used to be. A Buff and a Kudu...awesome!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OahuKaneohe:
I own and shoot 4 BPE double rifles and my friends own 4 more. Here are the loads that shoot to the point of aim at 50 and 100 yards to the sights. 4" groups at 50 yards.

450 3 1/4 BPE three guns originally used
120 grains of Black. We use 49-50 grains
of H or IMR 4198 with Kynoch foam wads under
300-325 grain LBT cast gas check bullets.

We have tried 350 grain bullets, but those
shot 6" above the sights at 50 yards.

500 3" and 3 1/4" BPE, we have three guns
originally used 136-142 grains of Black.
Three guns use 350 grain LBT cast gas check
bullets over 52-57 grains of 4198 and Kynoch
foam wads to keep the powder against the
primers.
Woodleigh 440 jacketed bullets shoot high.

I have shot over 600 rounds made this way
with Kynoch wads as described in Sherman
Bell's article "Finding out for myself".

I did try 375 grains of LBT bullets and 57
grains of 4198 in my 470 NE, but these shot
12" high at 50 yards. Fun practice load.

I'm sorry to say we haven't downed any game.
We shoot 10" steel gongs for fun. The gongs are
made of AR 500 1/2" armor plate AND these NFB
load shatter the plates at the mounting holes.
30-06 loads just bounce off, no damage.

I use to shoot with an Attorney who shot BP doubles, late 80/early 90, at the Hawai'i Kai range; sound familiar?

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote