THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    535grn woodleighs in a 500NE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

535grn woodleighs in a 500NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys, I'm close to getting myself a VC 500NE ordered and saw that the woodleighs I use in my 500 Jeffery will fit the 500NE. i was just wondering if any of you out there have played around with these lighter 535grn bullets over the standard 570grns??? thanks

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been able to get the 535's to shoot well in my 500's. You might also want to try the CEB 475 grain Raptor. I shot a bunch of buffalo with that bullet in Australia last year. It smokes them!
Start out with the same load you use with the heavier bullet and increase until you get proper regulation.

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cool thanks for the heads up tu2

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
We used the first CEB 510gr solids to take two Ele with two Merkel 500NE DRs last month. Performance was excellent, with no issues.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike, that another option I didn't think off tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
zhaba

Why not use Woodleigh Hydro's ?

Plenty of options and you don't need
to import them !!!

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried them yet Nig, happy with the woodleighs and was intrested to see if anyone had loaded the 535grn pills. You still got the 500 westley? have you tried light bullets in that??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't but I know plenty who have.

Those and the 440gns.

Depends on what you are hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting buffalo = 570 grain Woodleigh softs or solids

Hunting pigs = 570 grain Woodleigh softs

Hunting wild dogs = 570 grain Woodleigh softs

In the case of the latter two species, a solid would suffice if that is what was loaded at the time.

tu2

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
haahaaa Big Grin good one BenKK love your work but I wanted to see how it would go with the light pills. Nigel are the 440grns hydro's?? didn't know they made them that light??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, the 440gns are for the 500 BPE.
Softer than other .510 but great
for plinking and shooting pigs and
other upright fauna Big Grin

Can't remember what weight the Hydro's
come in, you'll have to look on the
web site.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no worries will have a look thanks, what are you using in the 500 WR??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no worries I'll have a look thanks, what you using in that 500 WR ???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't use it much, mainly because my 500/465
lives in the NT on a permanent basis so I tend
to use that or borrow something else.

If I use anything, it would be 570gn RNSN
for Buff or I'd prob go 440gn if pigs were
around.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would IF they regulate, if they will sight in without changing the sights and if they are accurate enough to suit me..that applies to any change in any double as far as I'm concerned, I do not monkey with my doubles, like changing the sights or re-regulation...I will try any load combination within reason and if it shoot to the same POI as my hunting load, then its good to go, if not then I see no reason to bother with it...sometimes I have been able to get them to POI with load changes, but it usually required a lot of load work on expensive ammo...

I think one is always better off with a double to just use the regulation load, as, in fact, you gain nothing by useing another load, except perhaps in this posters quest to use the same bullets in bot of his guns and if thats the case I would probably be inclined to reregulate my double to the 535 gr. load and just use that, I dunno?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote