THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    600 Jeffery at Rock Island Auction
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

600 Jeffery at Rock Island Auction
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
For those interested, this hammered at $43125. Including 15% BP, final price $49594.

600Nitro

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the bores were good, that was a good price. It looked nice, and Jeffery .600s are scarce. Built by Harry Leonard for Jeffery in 1908.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
400 Nitro Express: If the bores were good, that was a good price.

My thought too. It went below the low end of the estimate range. Most sales were above the high ends of the estimates.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charles Mc Williams
posted Hide Post
Buyer beware, I bought a Lancaster in .577 at an estate sale with " slight handling marks on the left side of the reciever" and had to have the reciever engraved to hide the pitting. Sweaty hands and a D.R go together, i had to have the gun if you know what i mean.

Posts: 343 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
For those interested, this hammered at $43125. Including 15% BP, final price $49594.

600Nitro

The final price was NOT $49,594.

The hammer price was $37,500 plus 15%.
$43,125 final sale price.

Corbin

Posts: 244 | Location: USA | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So does anyone know why it went for that ?

Are the bores stuffed or something ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500N,

Thats about the going rate for one of these big boys. Caswell had one awhile back for $39K. The market is thin at the top especially for 600's. Most seem to want a 577 over a 600. I would venture to say maybe a 100 to 1 would want a 577. One day I will get a 600 Jeffery underlever to add to my collection. Timing was not right on this one.

Corbin

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
corbin shell: The final price was NOT $49,594. The hammer price was $37,500 plus 15%.
$43,125 final sale price.

Leslie told me via telephone $43125 plus BP, guess she had it wrong. Somebody got a bargain anyway. No such luck on the Haenel Mauser I bought.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FlA3006,

The price she gave you included the BP. Hammer was 37.5K. It had been restocked and refinshed so that hurts the value for someone wanting an all original piece.

Corbin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barrels had been re-blacked, which is the norm for British guns of this age, but the balance of the metal clearly had not. The wood was refinished, but no evidence of replacement. "Colt/Winchester Psychosis" is a uniquely American aberration and doesn't apply to British guns.

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
Barrels had been re-blacked, which is the norm for British guns of this age, but the balance of the metal clearly had not. The wood was refinished, but no evidence of replacement. "Colt/Winchester Psychosis" is a uniquely American aberration and doesn't apply to British guns.

Thanks for that.

Yep, "Colt/Winchester Psychosis"
works in our favour sometimes !!!

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote