New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optimal barrel length?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know most factory specced doubles are 24-25 inches, but traditional barrel length is approximately 28 inches? Ken says 26 inches max... Any opinions?

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I like 26" and above. Ken convinced me to go 25" as a compromise. To *me*, 24" tubed doubles looks stubby and out of proportion, not to mention the extra inches help in attaining original factory MVs.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always prefer 26 inches as I think they are the right balance. Seems the late BPE and early Nitros that I have owned all had 28 inch barrels. In the late teens and early twenties I noticed 26 predominated with the exception of Jeffrey rifles which generally produced rifles with 24 inches. Just my observations

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like 26 inch also. I'm a short barrel nutt but on a double 26 seems to be perfect. If barrels are properly contoured and not pump pipes 24 inch will balance OK and 26 inch will be perfect. I would not go over 26 inch. So 24, 25, 26 would all work. A friend of mine has a two barrel set 450 nitro with 20 inch and 26 inch barrels. Oh I love that 20 inch set as it would be perfect for close up and personal but 26 inch is more practical.

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer 26" but 24" is ok as well.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I like 26" inch barrels. I have never had a double with 27" or 28" barrels, but if it was a choice between longer or shorter, I would rather go long than go short.

Mike

Posts: 21378 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Agreed.+1 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had 24", 25", 26" and 28" barreled rifles. The 28s seemed overly long, more like a British shotgun. The others all seemed similar in the bush and I never saw much difference in handling quality.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Agree with Ken in 26" max. I like 24" - 26". For me, splitting the baby at 25" is a very good compromise depending upon calibre and purpose. Just my opinion.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the shorter barrels. They just feel like they are quicker handling to me. I have a Searcy with 26" barrels and it shoots just fine but my Merkel and VC with 23.5-24" barrels handle better.

Posts: 889 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a light gun then 24", if you want a heavier gun then go to 26". 25" is good compromise.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
More or less it comes down to the make, taper and construction of the barrels, action size, rib weight, etc...

A maker using chopperlump barrels with light ribs and correct barrel taper can produce a faster handling 26" barreled gun than say a 24" monoblocked gun with heavy ribs and slower tapered barrels of the same caliber(usually goes with monoblock construction). Not all guns are created equal.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Aaron is spot on!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.. I think I will choose 26 inch barrels. Pretty sure BAiley and Aron can balance this length on the falling block nicely by tapering. Also I am 6ft3 so a bit longer would suit my frame while I carry and handle.

On another note, will
it be feasible to bore out 450 barrels to 470 when they are worn out (I shoot a lot)? Or would replacement barrels be more economical?

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
26 inch barrels! They perform and give the rifle a sleek look and balance! 26 inch barrels- All else is heresy! With the exception of Tony Black's 28 inch barreled double!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would leave that decision to the gunmaker.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
In most vintage doubles after WW1 and before the 1950s from the UK the barrels are in the 26” range, and balance wonderfully. The 28 “ barrels are most times found on black powder, and nitro for black rifles. Black powder needs the barrel length to get enough velocity to do the job so to speak. Around the time everything had become nitro proofed rifles most of the buyers were used to the long barrels used in the black powder doubles, and had their new rifles made with 28” and sometimes 30” barrels.

The longer barrels even the 26” barrels were simply a hold over from the black powder days, and wasn’t really needed. The fact is a double rifle can be made to balance perfectly no matter what barrel length is installed, and there is a legitimate reason for any length you want depending on what purpose you have for the rifle.

The one thing that is a positive for longer barrels today is, it allows a longer sight radius, but ballisticly it holds little value with today’s powders, and in some cases actually slows the velocity with some of the quicker powders.

I have doubles with 31 inch barrels down to 23 inch, and have had two with 20 inch barrels, and all balanced perfectly, and all got the velocity for the cartridge chambered in them.

In the final analysis, it all comes down to what you want when you have a double rifle made, but today the barrel length between 23 and 26 inch is simply a personal choice as long as the rifle is balanced, and is regulated properly. IMO there is no need to order a double rifle today with 28 or 30 inch barrels unless you want to use black powder!

...Opinions vary, and are not worth anything to anyone other than the owner of that opinion! The above is mine, and worth no more than the reader paid for it!
....................................................................... Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
With my big bore double rifles I don't mind 24" to 26" barrels . A rifle with short barrels is a pleasure to carry, particularly with in the confines of Jesse and riverine bush where this type of rifle is perfect.
Add muzzle blast is one other negative for shorter barrels though.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
Some interesting comments Mac. I believe you are spot-on saying “but today the barrel length between 23 and 26 inch is simply a personal choice as long as the rifle is balanced, and is regulated properly.” I too agree that it comes down to what you prefer. Also, Aaron’s comment “More or less it comes down to the make, taper and construction of the barrels, action size, rib weight, etc...” It is true that these factors and considerations in combination by the maker create the double’s handling characteristics.

If you are not stuck on an exact barrel length but have a preference toward a general length, consider how your decision might positively or negatively effect resale in general terms. If you prefer shorter barrels, more folks will probably be interested in buying a 24” barrel used modern double as opposed to 23.” The same if your preference is for longer barrels, more buyers would generally be interested in 26” as opposed to 28” barrels on a modern double.

I happen to love 23” barrels, as the doubles I have used in this length have handled exceptionally well for me and were perfect in application for use in dense cover. Admittedly though, not everyone is looking for that option/benefit as a necessity and it might be something for them that might only be beneficial once in a blue moon. On a recent double rifle build, I had this same discussion again with a friend in the rifle building and marketing industry. His observation and comment was that shorter barrels (below 24”) will often create the “Nice rifle but effect” when it comes time for resale. The phenomena works in the other direction as well. Perhaps some food for thought to the OP .

Shawn

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The three big German manufactures uses as standart:

Heym 24 (standart for the US is 26) inch
Merkel 24 inch
Krieghoff 24 (or 22 for the outside) inch

Here, in front of my bed are two beautifull Heym doubles, de luxe modells, 24 and 26 inch, long.

Both have longer stocks, 39 to 40 cm (German standart ist 37,5 cm).
Maybe the 26 inch version locks a little bit better then it is standing in the rack.
But in the field, in handling, I like the 24 inch. (Maybe it comes from the combat courses, where I always prefere shorter guns.)

Best wishes.

F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is like hunting small game with a 12 guage and quick shooting in the thick brush for woodcock,grouse and hare.Thirty is for ducks,twenty eight is too slow for pointing,twenty six and your in the zone,twenty five is hot...

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, so the broad consensus seems to be not over 26 Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a somewhat bias longer barrel fan as my 1905 Gibbs 450ne sports 28" barrel and points and swings like a shotgun..
But each to his own, I will say that I've spent the better part of 50 years hunting Woodcock in our New England alder coverts that can make the Zambezi Jess look like a walk in the park. I've hunted with barrels from 25"s up to 30"s my current gun of the last 20years sports 30" barrels. Never once have I swung on a bird where I have said if these barrels were only 2"s shorter....
The big difference though is that a bird is not so inclined to stomp you...
Just got done re-reading Nyschens' Months of the Sun I'm sure his 450 was sporting fairly long barrels..
Good Luck Good Shooting

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norsk, mine will be 27", so about the same length as a bolt rifle with 23-24" barrels. I like the looks, ballistics, and the longer sighting plane. Perhaps Bailey or Aaron could send you a photo of mine to see if you like the look before you commit on your order.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs... I would be very happy if I could! Is the burn rate on factory hornady loads such that it will be beneficial with barrel lenght @27 inches? MacD37 mentioned slowdown at a certain length dependant on powder used...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .475 NE has 23" barrels, the rifle is short and very handy, perfectly balanced at 11 lbs +

I have handeled doubles in the 26" range, ie a 1906 Jeffery hammergun in .450-400 3"....that one was ill balanced, too front heavy..

So for me I would say 23-24" length in a heavy double.

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted document.write('<nobr>'+ myTimeZone('Wed, 24 Sep 2014 02:24:13 GMT-0700', '24 September 2014 14:24')+'</nobr>');24 September 2014 14:2424 September 2014 14:24Hide PostMy .475 NE has 23" barrels, the rifle is short and very handy, perfectly balanced at 11 lbs +I have handeled doubles in the 26

CAN YOU PLEASE POST AN PHOTO OF THIS GUN
:-))
I love that caliber.
:-)

Best wishes.

FM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
My .475 NE has 23" barrels, the rifle is short and very handy, perfectly balanced at 11 lbs +

I have handeled doubles in the 26" range, ie a 1906 Jeffery hammergun in .450-400 3"....that one was ill balanced, too front heavy..

So for me I would say 23-24" length in a heavy double.

Interesting. I bought an older hammerless H&H .500express here recently with 24½" barrels. I was quite sceptic to even think about buying it because I wanted atleast 26" barrels. Today I am very pleased and haven´t regretted one time. Perfect balanced 3" from the breech(towards the muzzle). Perfect pointabillity too.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think where we are going with this is that regardless of the barrel length, any gun, rifle or shotgun coming from a quality gunmaker will be or should be properly balanced between the hands. If not, move on.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bockhunter, here is a previous thread about my double:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/9411088691

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you pondoro.
I had read this article before, but I dont realise, that this great gun has so "short Barrels".

Best wishes. F

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like longer barrels. My short barrelled doubles don't get the velocities they should. I also like the looks of a longer barrelled rifle. I don't think a few inches of barrell length is going to affect the handling, except to the positive.

Posts: 10128 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the relationship between barrel length (20-28 inches) and velocity? I am reading conflicting reports on the matter. Some sources show no difference from 20-26 inches in 308 for expamle

http://www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/

while other sources estimate 25-35fps/inch...

"The significance of both of these high coefficients of determination, however, allows us to verify the velocity variations versus barrel length as being truly linear."

but maybe this is the case?

http://www.weatherby.com/suppo...345?categoryId=22589

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Personally I would not let the relatively minor differences in velocity dictate or decide my barrel length. If you like the look and feel of a shorter barrel, I do not think you are going to compromise the velocity to any point worth worrying about. By the same token, I would not get a barrel that, based on your needs and taste, is too long just to gain some modest boost in velocity. In other words, I would let looks, feel, balance, handling, sight picture, etc. dictate the decision on barrel length not velocity.

Mike

Posts: 21378 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I find 24" to be too short (unless I'm dealing with a short customer,) and 27" to be too long.

I wouldn't turn down a pre-war H&H with 27" barrels, but I wouldn't order a new one that way either.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, 26 inches is decided then. Tanks for the input!

one of us
posted Hide Post
On a Big Bore double, ie. 400 and above 26" would be my minimum.

I have a 450/400 with 26" barrels and my 450 No2 has 28" barrels. I would not change a thing on either one of those doubles.

On a new made double I would go with 26" barrels over 24" barrels.

IF I was looking at two exactly identical old Vintage British doubles, and one had 24" barrels and the other had 26", 27" or 28" barrels, I would take the longer barrels without hesitation.

However, if you are @ 5'6" or so 24" barrels might be a better choice for YOU...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi friends,

Im here in Africa for 4 weeks, for "big cats" in Swasiland and for "fenced / un-fenced buffalo" and "amo test with the biggest german amo-custom-maker" in South Africa.

We had here three Heym doubles, 88 de luxe, with extra Barrels in:
- 24 inch
- 25 inch
- 26 inch

and in the calibers:
- .450/400 NE
- .450 NE
- .470 NE

And we had:
- an Merkel double in .500 NE with 21 inch
- an HH in 500/4?? with 28 Inch

My english is not good to write here exactly detailed results, but I will post some photos later on.

Best wishes.

F.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the updates Bockhunter!

I'm 6'3 and 230 pounds so i believe longer is better for me in that regard. I agree about not deciding based on minor velocity differences.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hallo togehter,

after more than 20 days of hunting (in different countrys of africa), Im on my way back to Germany now.

It was great.

Great weather, great photos and some great adventures.

E. g. I shoot three old dagga boys in 30 seconds.
This was an great story and an big meat party for the natives.

BARRELL LENGH
After I shoot five different options, from 22,5 to 28 barrels, I must say, it is all aboute THE BALANCE OF THE RIFLE.
How long is the stock, how heavy, how thick are the barrels, pp.
And: Is the double fittet to the owner
For my mind, this is the option.
(Sorry, my english is not good enough for more details.)

Later on I will post some pictures.

Best wishes to all of you.

"The bock"