New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ok, I admit it...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, I admit I’m a double fanatic after harvesting two elephants and two capes in April of this year with my Heym 470.
I brought my Model 70 375 as a backup gun and never took it out except to look for a little klippy we saw. Now for the question…
I’m looking for second double, what caliber do you recommend? I’m an avid shooter and do all of my own reloading. Just looking for the best all around caliber that I could use for plans game and possibly a cape if he showed up. Oh let’s throw in an elk, Mulley etc.
Thanx

NRA Member
SCI Member & DSC Member
Double Rifle Shooter's Society So. Cal. Chapter

Posts: 62 | Location: So. Cal. | Registered: 16 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3X74R would give you the versatility you want. Classic, capable and well suited for doubles.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a 450-400 it is bigger than your 375 and smaller than the 470.

a good choice for buffalo and PG
joe

Posts: 109 | Location: Nunavut CANADA | Registered: 21 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ordering NEW? 375 Flanged Mag WITH 300 pieces of brass.

No reason you can't get another beauty from HEYM.

Then go on and get a 577 NE or 600 NE if your budget allows such. Smiler

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9,3x74R!

I took my trim little Chapuis to RSA this April and it did a big Kudu very nicely. People take them as their DG rifle every year and kill Buff and Ele.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I love the 450-400, I think it is more of a large/dangerous game offering, and you have that in your 470. I would second the notion of a 9.3x74R. This caliber will give you the range for plains game, as well as being suitable for Cape Buff if encountered unexpectedly. Some of the 9.3x74 doubles have a barrel regulation adjustment to maximize accuracy, and tend to cost less then larger-caliber DRs. Check offerings from Chapuis, Merkel, Verney Carron, and some others.

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I own a 450/400 3 inch, a 9.3X74R and an 8X57RJS.
I like all three with the 450/400 being my favorite. A close second is the 8X57RJS. A great round, sweet shooting rifle. Not a buff gun, but lots of fun!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You go by 375John and you already have the 375 H&H reloading stuff for the M70 get yourself a 375 H&H DR. Your not using it primarily for DG so the non-rimmed cart. should not be an issue, if it is get the 375 Flanged. Personally I have a Heym 500 N.E. and a Brovinik DR SS in 30-06 caliber, that covers everything for me.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the advise… what a wonderful fun tool we have here “AR”
I have been told that the 375 flanged is slower than the 375 H&H??? Where does the 9.3 line up?

NRA Member
SCI Member & DSC Member
Double Rifle Shooter's Society So. Cal. Chapter

Posts: 62 | Location: So. Cal. | Registered: 16 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
My pair for travel are a pair of Merkels. A 140E 9.3X74R, and a 140-2 Safari 470NE. Either one can take up the slack if the other developes a problem. Either one can be replaced in a month if insured, and lost or damaged.

................... BOOM............. holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Well, i am in the same boat.
First, based upon good advice from experienced folk here, I got 9.3x74R (to go with my 600 NE).

Problem is, now i need another.

Was going to go with 500 NE

Then was ready for a 450 NE

Saw a photo of a 450-400 with great wood that Rich (Idaho Sharpshooter) was kind enough to check out for me ...

Now I am stuck ...

My advice would be to take that of Biebs, Rich and others - the 9.3x74 will serve you well for everything and will be my 2010 whitetail thumper.

Now boys - 500NE, 450NE or 450-400NE ???

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
C'mon guys.

Variety is the spice of life.

Get them all, then sort them out....I have Big Grin

No doubt, it is an addiction. But what the hell, I don't do drugs and never even bought a lottery ticket.....It's all good Smiler

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
C'mon guys.

Variety is the spice of life.

Get them all, then sort them out....I have Big Grin

Don

So Ken Buch told me jumping beer

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

that 450-400 in Boise has VERY nice grain flow. The fit and finish was also very good. The engraving is even, lifelike, and looks good to the eye. Well worth the asking price, if you ask me.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Doc,

that 450-400 in Boise has VERY nice grain flow. The fit and finish was also very good. The engraving is even, lifelike, and looks good to the eye. Well worth the asking price, if you ask me.

Rich
DRSS

Rich,
Your trip and hands-on is the reason I am considering this caliber
Paul

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a 9,3x74R double with a scope in QD mounts.

I have shot quite a bit of African game with mine as well as deer, igs, turkey, coyote, bobcat, and black bears in the US and Canada.

It is a great calibre. I use mostly 286gr bullets. It is a little less powerful than a 375 H&H on paper.
I have taken a kudu with it at a little over 300 yards as well as a cape buff and an elephant at five yards.

Heym makes a real nice 9,3x74R.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just looking for the best all around caliber that I could use for plans game and possibly a cape if he showed up. Oh let’s throw in an elk, Mulley etc.

Since you have a .470 double--

I'd lean toward the 9.3.

you could choose a .375 (flanged or H&H)

or my favorite "one gun" 450-400.

But the little 9.3's are delightfully balanced

& quite carryable all day

esp. since you brought up elk and mule deer

(think --altitude-- huff, puff)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

don't think too long...

Rich
DRSS

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
One more for the 9,3X74R!

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Doc,

don't think too long...

Rich
DRSS

I know, I know but now the debate in my mind is 450NE vs. 450-400. If the latter, you know which one I want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel the best choices to fill your gap are the .375 flanged and the 9.3X74R. The advantage to the .375 flanged is that it is 100% legal for dangerous game everywhere. The only downside is that it is not that common a caliber these days. Not much of a problem since you handload but buy plenty of brass.

I have a 9.3X74R and like it. It seems to be the new hot caliber so both factory brass and loaded rounds are easy to find.

The .375 H&H, .375 flanged, and 9.3X74R are all in the same class with but a couple of hundred FPS between them. However, the 9.3X74R (a .366 caliber) is not technically legal for dangerous game in countries where .375 is the minimum . This however is often ignored as many european hunters use it or the bolt action 9.3X62 round for dangerous game and for what I hear the PHs look the other way. In countries which started as German colonies both the 9.3X74R and 9.3X62 are 100% legal for dangerous game and have been used successfully for 100 years.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375John:
Ok, I admit I’m a double fanatic after harvesting two elephants and two capes in April of this year with my Heym 470.
I brought my Model 70 375 as a backup gun and never took it out except to look for a little klippy we saw. Now for the question…
I’m looking for second double, what caliber do you recommend? I’m an avid shooter and do all of my own reloading. Just looking for the best all around caliber that I could use for plans game and possibly a cape if he showed up. Oh let’s throw in an elk, Mulley etc.
Thanx

Since you reload, the possibilities are endless - you can load up or down to suit the gme hunted. Just a bit more tricky with these since you have to find loads at different ends of the spectrum that regulate to your liking.

Were I in your shoes, where the ends of my spectrum were 375 and 470, I would have chosen a 450-400 as the perfect go-between. Can accomplish all that you ask - according to the experts here as well as in a bunch of books and gun rags I have read in the recent past - and is pleasant to shoot.

I went with a 450NE to go between my 9.3x74R and 600NE for the reasons you stated but nearly bought a beautiful 450-400 that Rich (Idaho Sharpshooter) was kind enough to check out for me. That (the 450NE) would be a great choice as well, particularly given component availability but seem too close to the 470 that you already have and are comfortable with.

You can't go wrong with any choice but my suggestion - get that 450-400 beer