THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Regulation question w/buttstock weight removed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Regulation question w/buttstock weight removed
 Login/Join

posted
If you remove the weight in the buttstock, what should happen to the regulation. On one hand the center of gravity is moved forward so the barrels shouldn't rise as fast, so the bullets should shoot lower. On the other, the gun weights less so recoil should be more, highter. Anyone try this.

Posts: 16 | Location: Northern Kalifornia | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I generally don't stuff around with my guns.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As the recoil isn't bad, why carry around the extra 12 oz. Waiting on powder or I would find out myself.

Posts: 16 | Location: Northern Kalifornia | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of DR is this that came with lead in the butt?
----------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Searcy 500NE, not lead but a piece of machined steel rod.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've added and removed weight (up to 12 ounces) from the butt of some doubles in the past, regulation was not altered, doubtful but it might change the POI making groups a little higher if so just change the height of the front site.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Have never shot it on a target to check but first trip with my 470 Merkel The steel weight in the buttstock sheared the bolt holding it and was loose so I removed it. I had removed the plastic buttplate and replaced with a Decellerator and suppose the weight was not adequately fastened in the buttstock. It actually sheared off the wood screw holding it and tried to come thru the decellerator. I merely removed it and continued to hunt. The Elephant I took did not actually know the weight was missing and I hit precisely where I aimed with rhe heart shot and the following two shots perfectly bracketed the left hip joint which I was shooting to break. Never reinstalled the weight. Never even thought it might change the point of impact.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Modifying the mass of the rifle may change the barrels harmonics, hence altering regulation and then it might not... Each rifle is a law on itself and few react the very same.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try it and let us know what happens..

Roi

P.S. adding weight to My Searcy 500NE made quite a difference.

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Will do. Finally have the powder, unfortunatly my old herters press isn't tall enough to load the big NE cartridges. Soon though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i pulled it out of my merkel & it didn't make any difference. don't feel like carting around any more weight than i have to

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote