New
Find
Notify
Tools

O/U,458 Lott
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I remember that Pathe video and the O/U as well as ole Ebenezer checkering a gunstock.

A friend of mine just sent me a note saying that Joe's daughter Rosie has the 28 gauge trio of Purdey O/U's and that they have 30 inch barrels.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:

Beretta uses, basically, Woodward's system I think. That is good enough a pedigree.

I was going to call them poor-man's Purdeys, but thought you might find that insulting.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL! What is true is that a Purdey is a poor man's Boss. As evidenced by the famous King George quote "A Bosd gun, a Boss gun? Bloody beautiful but too bloody expensive!"

Here in UK the long established makers A A Brown are now making O/U as well as their "Brown Beretta".

Also another company is importing special order ribless Perazzi O/U guns. To complement the AYA English Game S/S they commissioned.

These are interesting times for a British, game shooter IF you've got the money spare and want to re-visit the pre-WWI and 1920s products but with a new made version.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
We shoot side by side as our eyes are side by side.
If the Good Lord wanted us to shoot over/unders then He would have given us eyes one above the other.
Shooting a side by side is biblical.
Cal

And a man and his dear wife sleeps side by side in their bed -not over under Wink

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And a man and his dear wife sleeps side by side in their bed -not over under Wink

But when they REALLY want to have fun, they go one on top of the other, don't they? :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

But when they REALLY want to have fun, they go one on top of the other, don't they? :-)

Ha Ha Ha,
Nowadays,people want to kiss their sisters,the wifes sometimes are eeerrr not the normal kind Winkthey cannot make babies though SxS,thank god for the O/U PEOPLE,they are the only normal ones left clap

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nowadays,people want to kiss their sisters

Leave Todd Williams out of this! :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Nowadays,people want to kiss their sisters

Leave Todd Williams out of this! :-)

Where is that Turd photo?

moon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL! That was a bit nasty, wasn't it!

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
LOL! That was a bit nasty, wasn't it!

Ahhhh,don't be upsetSmiler,he has never shot a Blaser,he has not been enlightened yet dancing

Wish you all a happy 4th patriot

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bal, I domn't think the words "enlightened" and "Todd Williams" have ever appeared in the same sentence :-)

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Ha, I can think of quite a few activities I haven't experienced and been enlightened to that I have NO desire to learn about!!!

The world of Blasers would be right up there with the most objectionable ones ... like kissing your brother!!

barf barf barf

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Bal: If I remember correctly, I was there for the origins of you o/u double.

Wasn't that the one you and I "discovered" when we ran into an AR guy at DSC?

Darn, you were faster than me getting out an "I'll take it!".

I'm glad you've enjoyed it.

As to o/u doubles vice s/s, I think of it this way: When s/s doubles recoil, since the barrels are "off center, the fired barrel rotates (twists?) or "rolls" around the center axis and also pitches up, requiring timing of three moments for the bullet to be regulated, those being twist, pitch-up and speed of bullet down the barrel (or where the barrel is pointing when the bullet exits). Both barrels must be in coordination with the other, or regulated. i.e., twist, pitch-up and bullet speed. On a o/u, the twist might exist if the barrels are not well aligned with the action, but it is usually minuscule and the significant regulation (or timing) is for the pitch-up and bullet's exit time during that muzzle rise.

I'm don't do math well, but since both guns have two barrels, then multiplying the variables by two equals four variables for o/u compared to six for a s/s gets the s/s involved in a heck of a bigger geometric progression?

So, the Ernest Gilbert Principle of Double Rifles is: O/U might be not so pretty.... but they are a darn sight easier to regulate. Function over form. Alas. Kind of like picking out a woman. You are blessed in finding a s/s woman, but a o/u sweetie can do wonders and might not be so hard to regulate.

Etta James explains it all here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shpLJJ_ku0M

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Bal: If I remember correctly, I was there for the origins of you o/u double.

Wasn't that the one you and I "discovered" when we ran into an AR guy at DSC?

Darn, you were faster than me getting out an "I'll take it!".

I'm glad you've enjoyed it.

As to o/u doubles vice s/s, I think of it this way: When s/s doubles recoil, since the barrels are "off center, the fired barrel rotates (twists?) or "rolls" around the center axis and also pitches up, requiring timing of three moments for the bullet to be regulated, those being twist, pitch-up and speed of bullet down the barrel (or where the barrel is pointing when the bullet exits). Both barrels must be in coordination with the other, or regulated. i.e., twist, pitch-up and bullet speed. On a o/u, the twist might exist if the barrels are not well aligned with the action, but it is usually minuscule and the significant regulation (or timing) is for the pitch-up and bullet's exit time during that muzzle rise.

I'm don't do math well, but since both guns have two barrels, then multiplying the variables by two equals four variables for o/u compared to six for a s/s gets the s/s involved in a heck of a bigger geometric progression?

So, the Ernest Gilbert Principle of Double Rifles is: O/U might be not so pretty.... but they are a darn sight easier to regulate. Function over form. Alas. Kind of like picking out a woman. You are blessed in finding a s/s woman, but a o/u sweetie can do wonders and might not be so hard to regulate.

Etta James explains it all here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shpLJJ_ku0M

Ernest,
Glad you chimed in,your logic is spot on,I was first introduced to this gun in camp at the 4K for a DRSS hunt & shoot,I think if I remember correctly? my guns never made it & Mike very kindly let me borrow this rifle for all the fun & games,it's far from being attractive but sure can shoot,so I had some history with this gun before DSC & I knew that I wanted it,is this not a great country?you can enjoy both SxS's or O/U's in guns & women Wink

DRSS