New
Find
Notify
Tools

Like Waiting On Santa!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I went to Tulsa and accidentally found a new toy. I was walking by the William, Larkin & Moore booth when a new Chapius 30/30 with extra pair of 22 Hornet barrels caught my eye. I had talked to David Moore last year about a 30/30 but did nothing. The Hornet bbls. were still in AZ so now they are shipping the whole mess to me. I leave for the ranch soon to take on the mighty whitetail and turkey. Sure hope it arrives before I leave.
Anybody play with anything like this? My first Chapius.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Roscoe Stephenson
posted Hide Post
You should love that Chapuis. I wouldn't know about the .22 Hornet barrels - charging chipmunks, maybe? However, I am a fanatic for double rifles chambered in .303 Brit. (four in the safe at the moment). The .30-30 will be quite similar. What a pleasure it will be to shoot, and you will want to shoot it often.

Congratulations!

Curl

RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Posts: 39 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Chapuis 20 bore O/U that a fellow traded in for one of the new Chapuis 22 Hornets. It is certainly an interesting rifle. I'll see if I can any feedback from the purchaser and post what I find. Congratulations on your new Chapuis.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I was going to buy a Chapuis, it would be a 30/30 or the 7x57r. Will it have scope mounts?

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everything arrived last night. We are off to the ranch on Thurs. Friday we will shoot steel to see how it shoots and then hopefully a deer will get in the way. Have yet to find the Remington 45 grn.ammo the Hornet bbls are regulated for. 30/30 bbl is regulated for Federal Hi Shock 150 gen. That I found. I am also taking new Dakota 10 in 7x57. Should be a great holiday weekend.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Everything arrived last night. We are off to the ranch on Thurs. Friday we will shoot steel to see how it shoots and then hopefully a deer will get in the way. Have yet to find the Remington 45 grn.ammo the Hornet bbls are regulated for. 30/30 bbl is regulated for Federal Hi Shock 150 gen. That I found. I am also taking new Dakota 10 in 7x57. Should be a great holiday weekend.

….Go get-um Harry! That 22 Hornet should take a couple of coyotes while you are down at Chimney Hill as well! tu2 tu2 tu2

Ain't double rifles nifty? Mac old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doubles are neat toys. I have had the pleasure of messing with many thru the years. I am only interested in medium or small bores now. I have the J&L Wilkins in 22LR with matching 410 bbls. I have the Westley Richard's in 250 Savage and Roscoe I have the Purdey 303 with serial number next to the one you have. If I can't see and use the factory sight I will try some small red dot. I am excited and my grown son is about to wet his pants he is so ready to shoot it.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Harry - congrats.

I have found the .22 Hornet to be my perfect turkey cartridge. Have taken gobblers out to 150 yards (with scope).
My favorite factory load is the Winchester 45 grain soft point. Shoots through them with minimal meat damage.
My double is an over under - Hornet over 12 gauge. Wink

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote