THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    pictures of fore arm release levers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pictures of fore arm release levers?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am working on a special project and was wondering if any of you have fore arm release levers on your rifles? If so, I was wondering if you had any pictures of the levers while on the gun, the underside of the fore arm off the gun, and pics of the fore arm lug under the barrels?

If anyone has pictures of these and could post them, I would very much appreciate it!!

Thanks

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Marc:

Here is a photo of my .577, in the white, with the fore end off. I BELIEVE the type of latch on my gun is called an Anson and Deeley (spelling) forend release:

Here is a photo of the top (engraved) side of the release:

Not sure if this helps or not.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From Hallowell and Co:

Top: Anson Release - A latch for securing the forend to the barrels of a break-open gun, operated, via a longitudinal rod, by a pushbutton exposed at the very tip of the forend. Typically seen on Purdey and Boss guns.

Bottom: Deeley Release - A latch for securing the forend to the barrels of a break-open gun, operated by a short pull-down lever mounted to the center of the forend. Typically seen on Parker and Prussian Charles Daly guns.

Lever Release - A latch for securing the forend to the barrels of a break-open gun, operated by swiveling a lever to the side. Although slightly less ergonometric, it provides a more positive lock than either of the above. Primarily used on double rifles.

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of craven
posted Hide Post
hijack 577 Who did the engraving?

Craven

Posts: 139 | Location: Florida | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craven:
hijack 577 Who did the engraving?

Craven

His name is Mark Swanson from Prescott, AZ. If you want to see more photos of what he did for me, let me know and I will send you some additional photos.

577NitroExpress

one of us
posted Hide Post
nice 577 rifle there, but the one I was wanting soem details on was the bottom picture. You wouldn't happen to have a pic of lug and underside of fore arm, would you?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hrere are some photos of the lever on my DR taken with a crappy camera a couple of years ago. I don't have one of the barrel but its a cam action on the lever extension with a hook on the breech side of the barrels for the cam to engage, IIRC.

Hope this helps,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 348srfun
posted Hide Post
My Alex Henry 450 single shot has a lever release that is similar to the one pictured above. I think it fits the style of rifle beautifully. I would be glad to send you some photos if you need them. I don't know how to post photos to this forum but will be glad to e-mail them to you. Or if you aren't in too big a hurry I can have my brother post them here.

Charlie
Measure twice, cut once

Posts: 25 | Location: S E Georgia | Registered: 11 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,

send them to me if you want. I'd be glad to post them.

daleatkins@charter.net

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should point out that my own photos and those posted for 348srfun by daleatkins clearly point out that the lever cam is on the muzzle end and that the the lever cam engages on the muzzle side and not the breech side of the barrels.

Sorry for the mistake,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys!

just what I needed

Marc

one of us
Picture of Marrakai
posted Hide Post
During the ‘Golden Years’ of double-gun development, a proliferation of invention resulted in some 29 patents for fore-end fasteners registered in Britain alone! I suggest getting hold of the book "The British Shotgun, Volume Two: 1871 - 1890" by Ian Crudgington and David Baker, and reading Chapter 7: 'The Forend Fastener'. The three main types already illustrated were the most common on double rifles (vis. Anson pushrod, Deeley latch, and Rigby lever-latch), but many of the other shotgun developments found their way onto rifles occasionally.

Here is a pic of a fore-end latch designed and patented by William Middleditch Scott & Martin Scott in 1876 (Patent No. 615). A hinged lever is situated under the forward part of the fore-end, terminating in a finger grip. Moving the lever downwards retracts a small sliding bolt from its engagement with the loop, and the fore-end can be swung downwards and removed in the normal manner.

Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullsh!t stops!

Posts: 243 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote