THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Cool gun places in Bend or Portland????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cool gun places in Bend or Portland????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
I'm currently in Bend until tomorrow and then Portland for a conference for the rest of the week. Not sure I'll have much time at all, but any cool places to check out for the international hunting and SxS enthusiast?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have nothing on hunting/shooting but mt bachelor and the deschutes brewery are awesome.

Posts: 1279 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This applies to Portland. As close to hunting as I can get.

A full or half day trip on the Columbia for sturgeon and steelhead is a lot of fun and not too spendy. I think my last go at it was about $200 to share a boat with a great couple from Michigan for the day. I shipped home sturgeon, and earned 500 wife points. Not sure if you can still keep sturgeon. That was 2015. Might find a boat with an opening if you call around. You're a little late for the river/stream steelheading. That is a blast on the smaller streams.

Beyond that, Portland has, if I am still current, the highest density of micro breweries in the USA. San Diego County is/was number two. The tram system gets you everywhere you want to go, and is either free or cheap. If I recall, there is a section that is free, then it costs a little bit to go further.

The Rose and Japanese gardens are nice to stroll through. Powell's books can take a couple hours to go through. A half block of book store.

Don't forget the Willamette Valley is home to some of the best pinot noir available anywhere. They take that grape very seriously. There is also a distillery row if you like liquor.

What can I say, I like good food and booze.

Portland is otherwise, EXCEEDINGLY liberal. Talking guns will clam up the locals unless you are in the right place.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I recommend browsing at Keith’s Sporting Goods. It's not a huge place but the inventory is huge and they often have unusual things, lots of shotguns, and many used firearms. Go there with the idea of being on your own. Do not expect a friendly, knowledgeable staff. Don't be surprised if the staff acts indifferent. It's hit and miss. Nevertheless, it can prove worth the going just for the firearms. Maybe that explains the low prices.

Powell books, as mentioned above, is fun. They are massive and have tons of second hand books. Sometimes, you can locate a difficult to find shooting or hunting book there. They actually have five locations in Portland. You want to go to the flagship store at 1005 W. Burnside.

There are many great restaurants in Portland. I try to stay away from the trendy places that are THE trendy place to go because most turn out to be nothing but hype and few last very long. My favorites for a steak are the RingSide Steakhouse on West Brunside or, for old school service, El Gaucho on SW Broadway. Both have great food.

For another great place to eat, or just for drinks, consider the City Grill. It's easy to miss because you have to go into an office building and up an elevator about thirty floors, yes thirty. The restaurant has good food and usually there is a piano player. If you go, call ahead and ask for a seat with a view. Alternatively, sit at the bar. The people are friendly. A good friend met his wife there. The view is spectacular. Downtown Portland and the surrounding mountainside at night are really something to see. Its at 111 5th Avenue and very easy to walk by. Once you go in find the elevator.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I wish I had seen this earlier. The Nosler Plant is in Bend.

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote